User Profile
for the past few months ( the most of last year) i hav been feeling nauseous. they way i feel varies with an overall different feeling. my periods have been out of wack, and i missd 1 or 2 cycles all together. now when i get my period it is late. ( this is explained to low EST). i have been getting very light headed ( i think more around the time of the egg release). when my periods were normal, i would feel some lower back pain about a week before my period,& all my symptoms would come like clock work. now all menstral symptoms r coming at strange times & im more or less always feeling sick. my heart starts racing too, especially when im light headed. my period pain for the last 3 periods have been extreeme pain, simmilar to what i had when i first started my periods. i think my migrane medication mersyndol forte is what got my hormones out of balance, its my intuition.
i wld like to know what causes low EST, & what can i do? also should i feel this light headed and generally unwell?<br>
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2008
Nausea Answer A3540
Estrogen levels in the body are one of the parameters used for estimating the function of the axis hypothalamus – pituitary gland - ovaries. Low estrogen levels can be due to hypogonadism, which can be primary (ovarian disorder), secondary (pituitary disorder) or tertian (hypothalamic disorder).

It is not clear from your question if you are ovulating, or not. Menstrual cycles without ovulation are usually irregular. Further, your symptoms (feeling sick and lower abdominal pains) are not specific enough and can be found in many conditions including pre-menstrual syndrome PMS. The pre-existing conditions you mention (migraine, depression and anxiety) can also cause or at least contribute to the condition.

There is no data currently available to confirm that your migraine medication (mersyndol forte) can cause low estrogen levels. Dry mouth, ataxia, urinary retention, and drowsiness are mentioned as side effects of this medicine.

Several diagnostic procedures should be performed to identify the reason for low estrogen levels, including: hormonal analyses (FSH, LH, prolactin, testosterone, thyroxin...), an ultrasound scan of the ovaries, a Pap-test, etc. You can consult an endocrinologist and a gynaecologist for further information about your condition and to schedule follow up diagnostics.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nausea , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.