User Profile
I went in on wednesday the 12th of september at 9 am in the morning. They did all the checks etc' hooked me up to the heart monitor for 20 minutes, everything was fine and they gave the go ahead for an internal and pesery, when they checked my cervix it was far back, and quite thick but about half a cm, to a cm dilated. They inserted the prostin pesery which hurt like mad, but the midwife was as gentle as possible. I was on a ward with 3 other women, with a curtain round and there's me shouting all sorts out! I shouted aloud "Jesus, how many fingers you got in there" which ammused the other poor women about to go through it or had been.Anyway, that was inserted at about 10.20am, nothing happened all day, I started getting mild contractions throughout the day that started around 3pm, so, they checked my cervix again at 7pm thinking the contractions would have dilated me. Did they heck! I was thinned and the cervix was brought forward, so that was something. Moving on, they inserted another prostin pesery at 7.15pm which again was stupidly painful but the woman who did it was really nice, Nikki, she eventually delivered my girl too, except on her next shift! Anyway, contractions came on big time, and by 11pm they were coming every 5 minutes lasting a minute. That carried on until about 3am when the pains got too much, I couldn't sleep, nor try to relax at least so the midwife decided to do another internal thinking that was it this time, by this point all dignity was lost. I had gas and air with this internal, which I didn't like at all, it made me feel dizzy and sick. I was under 2cm dilated so it wasn't classed as labour, it was called "prostin contractions", so I had a meptid injection with an anti sickness in the butt, and woah, didn't my cheeks fly off that bed but it did help, mum led on the bed with me until I dropped off as the midwife Nikki had said she was allowed to stay overnight with me and made her a little bed up in the day room. I managed to get a few hours sleep, at around 8am another midwife came round, Lucy, she was sweet. She hooked me up on the heart monitor again, thinking there would be no progress and had another pesery ready to insert. So along came another internal, which again made me blub, I was 1-2 cm dilated, thinned and my cervix was forward so a night of agony, and only a tiny bit of progress. Anyway I refused another pesery, cos I couldn't stand the pain of another internal and pesery with no progress. At this point I was that anxious they were going to do that, so Paige's heartbeat started excellerating to 175-180 beats per minute so Lucy got the doctor, she came along with concern, she was the doctor I'd seen two weeks before and had diagnosed the SPD. Sh said that I'd be good to have an epidural, have my waters broken and then see what happened. So to do that they moved me down to delivery suite. So, all nervous about the epidural they took me off the monitor and down I went to delivery. When I arrived, I got myself as comfy as possible baring in mind I was still having quite painful contractions. The anethetist came along, and I had to sit on the edge of the bed and lean over. Well, it took him 3 tries, 6 local anasthetic to get it in my back after 25 minutes of me moaning and crying cos I didn't like the pressure feeling in my back it was done and wow, that epidural was fab! Next, I was introduced to the best midwife on earth, Jenny. She was so lovely and I really bonded with her. I miss her now actually, anyway once the epidural was in place Jenny broke my waters, which felt weird when all the warm water came trickling out, didn't hurt a bit I could just feel what was happening but no pain with it. Anyway, it must have been about 2pm by this point, not sure, time went out the window. I remember getting paige's clothes set up, with her little lala telletubbie in her crib next to me. The reason I bonded with Jenny so much was because I had chose Paige a little pink babygro with a love heart on it, and when Jenny saw it she stated what a coincidence it was as she loved hearts and showed me a necklace her daughter bought her with a heart on it. Then, next time she came in she saw the lala tellietubbie I had for Paige in her crib and was shocked that we came across another coincidence as she kept a little lala in her bottom draw at home. Now Paige's lucky simble is a heart. Anyway I was checked again around 7.30pm and I was still 2 cm dilated!!! So, Jenny hooked me up onto the oxytocin drip, and the doctor said "oh yes you'll be at least another 10-11 hours yet!" Anyway I started feeling a pressure down there, yep pretty much like a head! I started getting really painful even with the epidural so they kept topping me up and topping me up and I had gas and air to breathe through the pressure pain when I felt it, and at quater to 9 it started to get bad! Jenny went off shift at 9pm thinking she'd deliver me in the morning because of how slow it was going when she came back on shift at 7am. They were all talking about a c section at this point. When I was introduced to my overnight midwife, who happened to be nikki again, she chose me cos she had me the night before and I was so happy to have her if Jenny was going. Anyway, the pains were so bad after Jenny left, and Nikki said "right get on the bed and we'll check you, I don't think you're more than 4cm but we'll see". Ha. Got on the bed and I was 8cm dilated and she could feel paige's head! I'd dilated from 2cm to 8cm in 3 hours! No wonder my epidural wasn't being given a chance to work! They couldn't top me up anymore cos I was so close to pushing, and it was wearing off and by God didn't I feel those contractions and pushing. Anyway from about quater to 11 I was 8cm, and as I went from 8-10 with gas and air and a worn off epidural it took from that time to 11.41pm of paige being born! I was on my back, on my side, trying to roll around but I couldn't, screaming blue murder, begging Nikki to pull her out secretly and I'd pay her! All sorts I was coming out with, I was swearing infront of my mum and my nan which I'm ashamed of, my nan was holding my leg up on my left side, I was talking to my granded aloud and that seemed to help me, I started really concentrating on pushing when she said I was 10cm. Suddenly her head was out and flopped out her body in a tiny ball, I turned over and she was passed on my belly all curled up, crying and burying her head in me. My beautiful little girl was here, my mum cut the cord and we curled up and cuddled and had pictures. She was weighed and had her vitamin K injection which she didn't even cry at, unfortunately I tore 3 inches with a second degree tear and was stitched up, but I've never been so happy in my life, she's the best thing thats ever happened to me and I am so inlove with her. She's a little heart. After that, being stitched up, I went for a bath because I felt so yucky, Paige was weighed at 7.4, dressed and put in her crib asleep, nan stayed with her whilst mum helped me in the bath. Then I had a cup of tea and toast for energy, I wasn't aloud to eat all day even though I did have a sneaky sandwich Jenny said I could have secreyly. Then I got on the bed and went to sleep, they took Paige for 2 hours whilst I slept, then Nikki came round to check on me and asked if I was ready to go back up on the ward. Nikki got me in a wheelchair with and passed me my beautiful bundle all wrapped up in pink fast asleep and wheeled me back up to my own room, this was around 5.30am. When I got back up on the ward I got into bed and stared at Paige for hours, sleeping on and off. As the morning progressed I was feeling very sore, and was doing little bits around the room, re packing and un packing my bag, staring at Paige, taking pictures sleeping, having different women from the ward come in and different doctors, tought how to breastfeed, tought how to change nappies, a woman came round and took professional pictures of Paige then Jenny came up. She saw Pige and commented how beautiful she was, asked how it went. She said when she got home to Blackpool she hardly slept all night thinking of me and Paige worried I'd have a c section, she thought of ringing a few times to check on me but thought the midwives would think she was nuts. Anyway later that morning I had a shower, dried my hair and got fresh jammies on, whilst Paige was in the nursery. Mum and dad came in with a big bouquet of lilies, carnations, orchids, cards, presents then we got ready to go up to helme chase which now, I really wish I hadn't I didn't like it there, plus I didn't get to say good bye to Jenny or Nikki. Overall, I had a fantastic, labour, birth and afterbirth. I've never been so happy in my entire life, Paige is beautiful, content and so lovely. I couldn't be more complete. I can only thank my mum, dad, nan, Jenny and Nikki. They made my experience...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
WOW
you had a very long labor!

lol i was like omg lauren had another baby? i didnt know this was paiges birth story! finally!!!!!!!! Very Happy
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Haha! I know! Loooooooooooong time to get me into labour, but a very quick dialation and not too long pushing. Ha. Makes me want to go back again. miss them first few days:'(
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yay I'm glad you finally posted it! Smile I love reading birth stories even after 17 weeks. lol
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2008
Supporter
I wish i'd remembered more of my labour so then maybe my story might have been better. But going from 4cm - 10cm in two hours i didn't have much chance lol. Good to hear it finally Lauren
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
What a long labor and delivery, congrats on bringing your baby girl into this world. It's simply amazing what us women can do! I go in for my induction tomorrow at 8am. I had a Dr. appointment today and they measured my belly, stripped my membranes (again like last week), checked my dialation (@3cm), checked my bp and weight and did a non-stress test on me and baby. They said my test was good that I had passed but baby was a bit lazy, so its good I'm getting induced. I don't want complications so I think its the right choice for me at this point. I love hearing birth stories, thankyou for sharing yours. I can't wait to write mine! Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2008
Experienced User
Aw thanks everyone!

Good luck, newmommy! x
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...