Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diagnostic Techniques, Treatments Forum

specialist for bulging disc and pinched nerve

I went to see my regular family Doctor because I was having very bad pain in my left shoulder and arm, I also had some numbness in my fingers. Anyway, he had me go do an MRI and after reviewing the results referred me to a neurosurgeon . My question is what would be the best kind of specialist to go see. My MRI report stated that I have a minor bulging disc " C-7 and C-6" In my cervical spine that is pinching a nerve. I have heard a few bad things about neurosurgeons and am just wondering if I should just find another kind of Doctor.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Bulge discs are handled more professionally by spine surgeons compared to neurosurgeons so visit a spine surgeon as they are more careful .

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diagnostic Techniques, Treatments , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.