Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

I think I'm dyslexic (Page 1)

Hi, I'm 16 years old, and I think I'm dyslexic. I can't really spell; although I used to be a lot worse; and I have trouble reading things out loud. My biggest problem, though, is with numbers. I can't get almost any numbers with more than two digits in the right order. Sometimes, I even replace the numbers I see with numbers that are one higher or one lower, such as: 346 might become 436, or 633, or even 356. The point is, the number is either all mixed up, or not even the right number. Math has always been challenging for me, and I'm often really frustrated in school becasue when I get my tests back, there are all kind of stupid errors, such as getting the right answer, but copying it onto the answer sheet wrong. Its become a pretty big problem, and I don't think I can ignore it for much longer... I wanted to know if there was a way to make it easier, or even try and correct the problem somehow. If anyone has advice, I'd really like to hear it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper piperseymone
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you in school? I would go see your school psychologist. S/he would be able to offer some good recommendations. There are many strategies the psych can show you.What are your grades like??

You do have some hallmark symptoms indicative of possible dyslexia.
|

replied January 15th, 2008
A Must See Video of famous Dyslexics
Great site! I wanted to share a very positive video that I found on youtube about dyslexia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_qGJ9svUbM &feature=related
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2008
Re: A Must See Video of famous Dyslexics
thepowerofdyslexia wrote:
Great site! I wanted to share a very positive video that I found on youtube about dyslexia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_qGJ9svUbM &feature=related

What an inspiring video, Thanks for posting Smile
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
you know --he shouldnt be talking to you like that at all----you should take that to the adminestration of the school. dont give up we are all here to support you--you need anything let us know/
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2008

mount That teacher like Tmddyan has said had no right to do that to you. I don't know if reporting it would be the best thing for you to do as I don't know you. What I do know is with an attitude like he has, hes no place to be teaching. A teacher should inspire and give confidence to you not make you feel like you are now. That is just one person. Don't let that get to you.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
that is correct bluey---You are a beautiful girl--no matter what he says=dont let him get you down
|

replied March 3rd, 2008
Hey
i have the same feeling as you as well. i have never been able to get my numbers right even at work. when i have to tell them the price Ex. say something is $1.46 i would say that it is $1.64 and then i end up correcting myself and making myself look stupid. i get in trouble at work for getting things wrong or getting orders mixed up and i feel like I'm going to be fired. (for something i cant help)
i have been identified with an IEP. but that doesn't help. its not just the numbers when i read out loud i find that i shudder and feel even more embarrassed. I also cant spell very well and my former best friend use to always correct me on my spelling and tell me how bad of a speller i am and always told me to stop reading out loud. I also think that i can have a form of ADD cause i cant concentrate most of the time at school. i cant study either.

if you need somebody to talk to i'm here and i know what its like. i want to know if there is a way to find out about being dyslexic but my mom wouldn't do anything about it even if i did bring it up.
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2008
Im dyslexic...i cant read in class cause i always mix up 2 words and switch the first letter in them..its very embarrising...like i havent talked with anyone about it and my doctor or whatever hasnt approved that i do...but i always talk in jibberish if i read something out loud
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
Dyslexia help
My heart goes out to each of you. DO NOT be ashamed any longer of this problem. It actually is related to those who have speech pronunciation issues. It is a language processing disorder which has been proven through functional MRI research.

I recommend you go to slingerland.org to find out more about a proven way to reverse the symptoms of dyslexia. Dyslexia cannot be cured, but there is help to function normally. God bless, Theresa.
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2009
I need help
I am a 53 year old Dyslexic and I need help. I have an average intelligence but I can't convey that to my peers. I feel inadequate almost mentally retarded at times. I can't remember simple things like numbers and simple recipes. Is there any hope for me?
|

replied July 30th, 2009
Reply to Loofah
Loofah,

Please Google Multi-sensory reading to find out how it can help you cope with dyslexia. Also, where do you live? I may be able to help.

Theresa
|
Users who thank teachcal for this post: loofah 

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2009
Dear Theresa,

Thank you for your quick reply. My place of residency is Central Texas. I'm attempting to go back to college online and I have already having difficulties and I haven't even officially started yet. My short term cognitive skills are kaput as well as my understanding of math.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2009
Take a deep breath and focus. I had the same problem at your age, TERRIBLE!!! I am now the manager working for a multi million dollar company. Sometimes in business calls, I still have to slow down and watch what number I am dialing, don’t get down on your self, you can still focus and overcome. When I was your age, I thought I would be hopeless. I make pretty good money now, plus, technology now is so advanced. I use GPS to get me around on business trips. I still struggle with addresses and street numbers, GPS tells me where to go. Hand in there, you can do anything you want!
|

replied July 31st, 2009
I think dkg has a very good point.... most dyslexics are very bright and succeed despite their disability.

HOWEVER, college is hard enough without the extra hurdle of dyslexia. If the coursework is too hard to manage, then I would suggest a multi-sensory reading tutor.
Loofah, go to Craigslist for your area and under tutors, look for reading, and look for a description of a multi-sensory tutor. They may come under the training of Wilsons, Slingerland, or Linda-Moodbelle. Good luck. Theresa
|

replied April 7th, 2010
man i feel your pain...i feel like im retarted when im talking to people on the web cus every other word is misspled and people start to talk to me like im 7 even tho im 14 and ive all read taken the S.A.T (it was a gifted student thang, thay sade if u do good u can go to a summer program to help point u in the dyrectoin of your future job,i did good and thay wanted me to come and sade i shuld be put in the scince classes but then my parents saw the 2,000 intre fee and lol) and dent do to bad, i cant write or spell but i finished harry potter in 3 school days (its not that fast but i thank its good) and people are befuddled that i even know how to read and dont even git me started about math.....lol i dought enny one is going to try to read all of this but i dont care it felt good ahahahahah =[D>
|

replied April 30th, 2010
What to do!!
I am Dyslexia am felt i have learnt to deal with it, until just in the past few weeks i have been looking at a career change and it is now hitting me in the face over and over again, everything i look at that i might have some interest towards i can''t do. I come out of schooling with very little almost no education and feel very lots and low now. I am 24 years old and feel very alone as no matter how much people try to understand i feel they ever really do!!
|

replied September 10th, 2010
@Kimball

i feel the same way. Im 22 and just graduated colleged with my A.A. degree! I plan to transfer soon at a CalState but im so afriad with the high demand in writting skills. My spelling is poor, even if i try to sound it out when i spell my phonics is all mixed up.
In class i get numbers and dates wrong. My auditory process Pg. 537-549 becomes 537-594. My Math is horrible and in school I would have difficult with two or more digit numbers. Missing a digit or switching them around.
In regular conversation I can forget a small but crucial event of why that person went there, ir did what. Example: "So, i went to the market to get...." After the conversation I might remember that he/she went to the market and that's it. And I really try to remember but I can't. When doing a task like reading, writing or listening I have to do one thing at a time. I have to focus on ONE thing only. Ex: Talking on the phone...the T.v. Has to be off or volume all the way down.
With words I would want to say a word and when it comes out its a diffrent word.
Ex: Word is PRESENCE. "Doesn't my PRESENT mean anything!"
In school my grades were good and with ALOT of effort I managed to get Bs. I was in speech from kinder-fifth grade with Speech impediment, speech delay, and articulation /R/ and /w/. I was never diagnois but I feel I have something.
I dont know if this is any form of mild dyslexia...someone HELP.
|

replied February 6th, 2011
Hope for Dyslexic Brilliance
All of you Dyslexics. I am both ADD OR ADHD and Dyslexic. I love risks. I love impulse marketing an idea to the Public on the Radio or Selling icecreams to the whole mall. I also love to find and discover solutions. My tip is. I learned to read and write by. Making a study project and activity project that helps me care about others. Passion to concern for others. This put me into intuition and my intuition put me in relying on my visual rightbrain and then I ruled my left brain the one responsible for reading. Because I started to read for matches to patterns. And then I started to write marketingcampaigns and active instructions to realize ideas and it helped me write. I write best when the text is instruction or getting things done with ideas for business etc. And I found that I had no koncentration problem when I lived from my passion. So ask yourself. Do I have learning disability or do the teachers have teaching disability to unlock my brilliance. They have. They have not learned your way to naturally succeed because they succeed the oppossite way. So dont blaim them. Just take on these ideas. Try them and se that you will be getting in harmony with ADD or ADHD and Dyslexia. That is how I did it.
|

replied February 6th, 2011
All of you Dyslexics. I am both ADD OR ADHD and Dyslexic. I love risks. I love impulse marketing an idea to the Public on the Radio or Selling icecreams to the whole mall. I also love to find and discover solutions. My tip is. I learned to read and write by. Making a study project and activity project that helps me care about others. Passion to concern for others. This put me into intuition and my intuition put me in relying on my visual rightbrain and then I ruled my left brain to be responsible for reading the wholepicture instead of line by line. Because I started to read for matches to patterns. And then I started to write marketingcampaigns and active instructions to realize ideas and it helped me write. I write best when the text is an instruction for getting things done with ideas for business etc. And I found that I had no koncentration problem when I lived from my passion. So ask yourself. Do I have learning disability or do the teachers have teaching disability to unlock my brilliance. They have. They have not learned your way to naturally succeed because they succeed the oppossite way. So dont blaim them. Just take on these ideas. Try them and se that you will be getting in harmony with ADD or ADHD and Dyslexia. That is how I did it.
|
Quick Reply