Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

getting medicine without records

I would like to obtain a prescription medicine without it going on my medical record. I do not want to insurance companies to see that I ever took this medicine. I have a physician friend who can write me a prescription without an official office visit. Can I take this prescription to a pharmacy I usually do not use, pay cash to have it filled, and not have to worry about insurance companies ever finding out about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
As far as I know, yes you can do that. I know a lot of people pay out of their pocket when seeing psychiatrists because they don't want a record of them ever going to see them. I am sure that those people pay cash for those meds for that same reason.I think the only way that insurance companies can find out is if they actually pay for it.
|

replied January 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Correct!

There is not a "master file" avialable to everyone that tells everything that you have done, health insurance companies can only know what YOU give them access too.
|

replied January 11th, 2008
Master File
Knowledge is power so here goes nothing.

I think your concern about the meds is a very valid one. Unfortunately I don’t have an answer for you, but I agree with the cash thing.

As far as no “master file” unfortunately now a days you can probably find a file for everything. I am referring to your MIB file. The Medical Information Bureau is a master file that most insurance carriers use when evaluating your applications. Generally everything your insurance company knows the MIB knows. This is a good link on how to protect your personal medical information

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8-med.ht m#D

The MIB section is section three.

Hope this helps.

Eleazar Estorga
|
Tags: prescription
Quick Reply