I'm being treated for a 2.5 CM stone..On oct 31 a stent was placed with laser surgery soon after...approx 2 weeks later i was put on my knees with pain and bright red blood was dripping...while gathering my fragments from my strainer i noticed what appeared to be glass about 3 days later i passed what appeared to be the other half..after some research i have came to the reality that this is the Distal end (fiber-optics) of the laser that was utilized in my procedure...I had stopped taking my vicadin because i felt that the worse was over...approx 3days later my penis felt as if i was voiding hot razors so i went back on the meds...I ran out and contacted doctor for him to say he felt i needed another kub...the pain persisted for three more weeks...with no pain meds...yesterday i passed a tissue mass that is 2 inches long with the appearance of a cooked spagettii noodle...has any one ever passed tissue mass because of a stent or is this from the laser going out of control when the fiber optics end broke...any input will be helpful..Thanks in advance,Bruce (49 male)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Bruce:

Wow, what a story! I've had three or four kidney stones and a bladder stone that required laser surgery a few years ago, but never encountered the problems you have.

You were lucky you still had some Vicodin to take when the pain became unbearable. I would certainly say something to your doctor about what happened with the fiber optics and the types of things you have passed. I have never passed anything like a noodle, all of my stones were hard.

Man, you are a better man than me to take all this and not complain or at least shoot somebody for putting you through it.
|

replied January 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Bruce

WOW!!!! You are going through a lot.

You should definitely contact your doctor or go to the ER to get a CT Scan and a KUB done. I have many problems with my kidneys and stones are definitely one of those. I've been getting stones for over 25 years. I've also been stented more times than I care to remember.
The only thing close to the "noodle" description that I had was puss and I was told it was normal to have that with a stent after having a cysto. They did a urine test which was negative for infection as it was a concern to me because it looked like puss and stringy.
When a stent is in place it will aggravate the bladder wall and kidney which can cause pieces of tissue to be passed when you urinate.
There are many different stent sizes..I learned this the hard way. I've had stents that were way to big for me and they hurt with slightest movement.
My new urologist uses a smaller stent when I have to get one put in.
It's possible the stent you have might be to big for you, which might be adding to the pain and tissue pieces being passed.

As for passing pieces of what appeared to be glass..Could it have been pieces of the stone? Most stones are jagged like glass and are crystallized due to the formation of the type of stones you are producing.
Do you still have the pieces? If so I'd bring them to the doctor and ask him what they are? (at least for peace of mind sake)

I hope nothing went wrong during the procedure.

Again the best advice I can give you is to see your doctor or if the pain gets really intense go to the ER and take it easy, don't do any heavy lifting and drink plenty of fluids to keep the pieces moving, also walking a little will help move those little buggers!!

Take Care of yourself...Smile
|

replied January 6th, 2008
Open For Suggestions Imbruceiam At Yahoo
I APPRECIATE anyone that can relate to what we go thru even if it is just to vent...I assure you that it IS glass tubular about 1/4inch in lenth from my research i'm POSSITIVE it came from the Laser...My uro is riduculus and was very harsh to me when i asked him what the tissue was... almost as if he fit me in his schedual for something not neccessary all i wanted was peace of mind about my kidney being damaged from the procedure... and when and if I need another Doctor I will make certain that He or She has had at least one stone...This is my second stent and my first one put me within inches of a noose but I asked for a smaller one and this one in me now is really not too bad...He said it was the stent that caused me to pass this tissue and having one before i just had to ask for advice from people that suffer like myself...if it was caused from my stent and is so common why did he say he didn't know what it is...if anyone is interested in seeing it let me know and i will see about a way to show it...i feel like my mom bred with an alein and i gave birth to a worm..she says i'm human so it makes me think it is a peice of my kidney...i wrestle with passing that worm so bad that i asked for a kub but it didnt show up because it was my tissue so he just thought i was after more pain medicine...needless to say i feel pretty worthless...Good Luck to everyone,Bruce
|

replied January 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Bruce
I am sorry your doctor is being a jerk. This is how my old urologist treated me and I had him for years. My old urologist damaged my kidney by doing a "new" procedure called endopylotomy. This procedure is only to be done on patients who never had a previous UPJ well I did have surgery in 1997 he's the one who operated me and then to have him do this half *** job a couple years ago left me with extreme pain and my kidney was so large it was pushing into my ribs it was almost twice the size. So I went to a new doctor who was able to save my kidney after doing a 6 hour operation to cut sections of my ureter tube out and reposition my kidney. All of this is temporary due to my kidney disease, these operation are buying me time for now.

Sorry I got off topic...I guess my point is you are being treated unfairly and deserve a doctor who will listen to you. Keep fighting it's your health and without that what do we really have?

I would talk to the hospital about your experience with this doctor and the glass.
If that broke when they were doing the procedure they should do a cysto to make sure you don't have anymore pieces floating around in there or pieces that lodged into your kidney or bladder.

Don't let the doctor make you feel worthless...he's the worthless one!!

Take care and vent all you need to..I can relate to what you are going through with the exception of I'm a female but I have seen my son and husband deal with stones also...they are brutal buggers.
|

replied March 14th, 2008
stents n stones can break your spirits
142 days of having a stent inside my kidney is beginning to take it's toll on my spirits...I hurt,We all need to keep our possitive thoughts...Maybe i will get this stent out of me on March 18th '08...Good luck to all of you,just remember...your not alone, keep up your spirits and try to smile:) Bruce
|

replied March 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have heard of stents being put in for this long even longer (sorry).
Try to keep a good outlook.
Are they giving you any idea when they will take it out?
|

replied March 17th, 2008
my stents were in for 6 months at a time. That's what my Dr. said they could last til. I eventually stopped having them because they never improved my kidney function and it is a painful and inconvenient procedure in my case, because it didn't help. I thought I gave it a good try. I had them for 7 years straight. That's 14 procedures. I gave it a good try. It does work for some people. Good luck everyone.
|

replied March 17th, 2008
oh my goodness! all the research that i have done never mentioned having one for 6months..4 to 5 months top was what i had read..i've delt with stones for 30 yrs of my 49...I always told myself that it could be worse...it would appear to me my point has been proven by reading about your history...as of right now...my thoughts are with you more than myself ...I will hope for the best results possible and i truely feel that you gave it as much time you could take...keep your spirits up, Bruce
|

replied March 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
How are you feeling Bruce?
|

replied March 18th, 2008
Thanks for asking:)I go in thursday 3/20/08 for some more laser surgery and a new stent..as for the way i feel...sheweeee! I'm tired and as a Tile setter i need lots of patience but this little ordeal i'm going through now is wearing me down to a nub..I think i will change my screen name to Nubbins..I have made a really neat reminder to eat and drink right...i made it out of Black lava from Hawaii with Diamonds and Swarovski Crystals and about 200 Sandy, Rocky Slivers of Kidney Stones with a Silver Dragon chained up and growling...I would like to think of it as a Monster i have a handle on...Time will tell, Bruce
|

replied March 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Best of Luck tomorrow...Smile
|

replied March 19th, 2008
I wish you the best. I hope I didn't scare you. I just meant that I understand what you are going through and it is rough. The people around you can't always understand unless they have been there. Good luck on your laser tommorrow.
|

replied March 24th, 2008
KUB Worthless for long term Stent
where do i start? I've had a KUB every 3-4 weeks for 4 1/2 months ! worthless xray for people with stents... my stent was in too long and had calcified (that did NOT show up with KUB)...good ole laser to chisel it out...2.5 hours Now I'm looking down 3 days later at a swollen member of my body that has a catheder tube pertruding out of it to go along with my brand new stent...I've kept my spirits up and i keep telling myself "it is just a kidney stone(S)" It could be alot worse:)
GoodLuck to everyone:) GUZZLE UP!!!
|

replied March 27th, 2008
I'm sorry your having such a hard time. Stents really suck. I hope your feeling better soon.
|

replied March 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Bruce1058

How are you doing?
|

replied April 15th, 2008
9th Month for a simple calcium oxalate stone
Well just as i suspected...KUB every 3-4 weeks since oct 31st'07 and it didn't show any calcium build-up because (as i was told)"Because it was so evenly coated" so guess who had to edure a 2 1/2hr surgery to chisel it loose with a laser and woke up with a cathedar? They didn't charge me for the laser,i'm assuming it was due to the fact of the first one left some fiber optics in me ! Here i sit 3 weeks later finally able to feel sub-human looking foward to tomorrow when i get another KUB and MAYBE get this stent out of me(this one has been very ,very painful when i urinate but goes away when i stop voiding)
I wish you all the best,sorry for the duration between post but as you can try to imagine...Stones grow fast and move slow...Surgeons like to play with their tools and insurance companys are too tough on the self employed,I was 22 when first started my rocky road and since it was pre-existing...rates so high that I figure the next time i feel the burning back and vomiting in the toilet i will go get arrested...but they can't take my spirits,GoodLuck Everyone
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...