Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

birth control mix-up (Page 1)

Okay so here it goes:

I am 15 years old. I live in a urban city where teenage pregnancy is pretty much an everyday thing. Most of it occurs when they get to high school, but it won't be much of a surprise of you see a 7th grader with a buldge. All three of my older sisters got pregnant before 18; only one finished high school.

Due to the large percentage of pregnant girls, doctors and teachers etc. try to inform us on how to protect ourselves. I remember getting my first sex talk in the 5th grade and then two more the following years until they offered us condoms in the 8th.

I took it more seriously than pretty much everyone else. I got on birth control 5-6 months before I lost my virginity (which was a year ago).

And Recently, back in October, my doctor upgraded my pills to a stronger brand due to constant spotting. You're supose to wait a full week whenever you change your birth control prescription or risk unplanned pregnancy, which I knew and understood completely. (My sister messed up on that one.)

When I started running out of placebos in late October, I called up my pharmacy and ordered a refill using a barcode they have, not the actual pill's name. My mother, who knows I'm sexually active and has met my boyfriend, went to pick it up. They told her that they never recieved a prescription order from me.

Now, my mother was given two choices:
a) call me and ask for the name of the birth control I'm currently taking
b) or guess

She guessed (picked the wrong one) and didn't tell me a thing about the incident. I'm pretty sure that in other pharmacies, you'll notice if you get the wrong prescription but like I said, I live in a city. They give us our birth control in these flimsy cheap packets that often tear. On the flap of the packets, they place the prescription sticker but they write the actual drug name in the teeniest letters on the bottom left corner.

Of course, I didn't notice. I thought I was getting the pills that I've called for and my mother was just the delivery person.

The first day of the new prescription I had unprotected sex. Then again, two days later; he came inside both times if you're wondering.

Two weeks after that, I spot bled for 2 days. I didn't get my period on the placebo week.

I started calculating things out and counting days when my eyes somehow landed on the prescription name. It was the wrong freaking one; I asked my mother what happened and she just told her story as if it wasn't a big deal. She doesn't have an idea what she just did. But I stayed quiet.

I switched back to my regular pills and waited a month for the placebo week. I got my period a couple of days late, but it seems like a regular period.

Could I still be pregnant? I've heard that some girls still recieve their period while they're pregnant.

Personally, I think it's more of my mother's fault than mine. Yes, I should have analyzed my packet more but like I said, I've been on it for a year, I had a routine to this. We both had a routine to this. It's not like I hid my sex life from her neither. She definately knew.

Kind of sucks, ehh.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
first. it's not your mothers fault. if you don't want to be pregnant you should not have sex..

second. if you got a period you're most likely not preg. you might have missed it the first month bc it was new pills.. they can do that to you sometimes. if you are you'd be far enough along for a test to be accurate so if you want to ease your mind you can do that.

good luck!
|

Extremely eHealthy
^^ that's stupid. Consent to sex is not consent to motherhood.

OP - Wait a week or so and then test.
|

Extremely eHealthy
never said it was. she can have an abortion or give her baby up for adoption

but consent to sex is a consent for all the consequences.. would you say the same thing about an STD? how about emotional issues if a guy took your virginity and then leaves you? you don't think you consent to these things by having sex?
|

replied January 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
take a test in a few weeks
if you are pregnant you have options
dont let anyone force you into anything
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
ever since i joined this website i have never ever heard of someone giving the option of abortion and adoption so much in my life!

btw thats the last option. thats when theres nothin else to do and your at the end of your tether.

so anyway dnt pannic its bad for you! just do what above said and wait a week or so, you could even do it now. just buy a test. n yes your mum really should of toold you about it but i dnt think she knew she guessed the wrong one lol. Mothers EH lol

good luck
xxxxxxxxx
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2011
Experienced User
last resort!?
Adoption is not "when theres nothin else to do and your at the end of your tether". Obviously, you've never placed a child with another family, so please be quiet. Women have lots of reasons for choosing abortion or adoption, to each is their own, but adoption isn't always the- last- resort kind of option. Please do your research before you base conclusions on simple assumptions. Thank you.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
hahahaha youre hilarous... its no ones fault but your own. no matter if you live in a perfect city or "urban city" it is your own personal choice the actions you take and teh consequences that happen due to YOUR OWN personal decisions. Theres a nice murder rate in San Diego.. oh wow should I go out and shoot someone now? No... You're 15 and choosing to have sex, whether or not your mom is cool with that is not an issue. Even if she wasnt okay with you having sex, mostlikely you still would be... Sex has nothing to do with peer pressure (or seeing a 7th grader with a buldge) thats why there are still woman who save their selves for marriage to this day. If you dont want your mom "screwing things up" then be an 'adult" about this "adult matter" and get your own BC and dont involve her.

Wait it out and test. and Best of Luck to you and your family.
|

to bellax0x:
i knew that if i had sex, there would be consequences if i messed up. i gave that consent when i started having sex. as for the STD theory, my boyfriend was a virgin but we both got tested before we became sexually active. and yes, the guy who took my virginity left me two weeks later. my emotional issues weren't terrible. yeah i felt like crap for a while but it's not something i dwell on and become depressed. i'm actually glad it happened because it changed my perspective on guys.

to jessamyn:
i'm not pointing out my enviroment to make me seem 'tough' or whatever; or to blame my problem on it neither. my neighborhood was just a main reason why i was so into protecting myself from an early pregnancy. i saw personally how tough it was to raise a child and attend school at the same time (a majority of my friends TRY to continue their education after birth but they don't last that long). i didn't want to fall into the stereotype in which i'm expected to. as a latina i am 51% more likely to get pregnant before i hit 20 [ source ] and living below the poverty line i'm puts me 46% at risk. [ source ]

and yes, sex DOES have something to do with peer pressure. apparently sex is a 'cool' thing to do nowadays. kids often brag how many girls/guys they've been with, that they got some last night, or who's !**@! who, whatever. people in general are pressured into sex all the time. yeah, it's wrong. no, you shouldn't listen to such pressure but not everyone knows how to say no.

but those who do know how to say no can and most probably will save themselves for someone special. i do agree with that.

obviously i don't want my mother to screw up on my birth control; that's why i took the responsibilty of talking to her about my situation. she was warned. she should have known better, especially with what happened to my sisters.

and i do pick up my own birth control but because i'm human, every now and then i don't have the time to do certain things. i became an 'adult' and treated the situation as an 'adult matter' and made a personal phone call to my pharmacist.

and would you not trust a loved one with picking up your medication for you? it's not like i told a friend or an uncle or an associate; i got someone more personal who i trusted. i mean, if you can't trust the person who gave birth to you, who can you trust? but i guess i know better now. even if i don't come up pregnant, i'll be sure to check my pills out if my mother picks them up for me. Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
Re: 15/possibly Pregnant/birth Control Problem
wrote:
I am 15 years old.

Now, my mother was given two choices:
a) call me and ask for the name of the birth control I'm currently taking
b) or guess

She guessed (picked the wrong one) and didn't tell me a thing about the incident.

Personally, I think it's more of my mother's fault than mine. Yes, I should have analyzed my packet more but like I said, I've been on it for a year, I had a routine to this. We both had a routine to this. It's not like I hid my sex life from her neither. She definately knew.

Kind of sucks, ehh.

It is your mother's fault if you are pregnant for these reasons:

1) You are legally under her care and she is responsible for you. You are too young to make decisions like whether or not to have sex. That's why the legal age of consent is at least 16 and more often than not, 18, in the United States.

2) She knew you were having sex, and obviously condoned it because she went to pick up your birth control pills for you.

3) She did not even tell you there may be a problem with your prescription. You seem to know more about what is going on than she does. I am astonished that the pharmacy let her "guess" which pills to get you. This means that they filled the wrong prescription.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Why is everyone jumping bad on this girl? She's a little young to be sexually active, but SHE'S TAKING BIRTH CONTROL. Pretty responsible and I commend her mom for supporting her taking it and it's wonderful they have an open relationship about it.

Anyway, it's just an accident. Your mother didn't know, it was a mistake on your part too. I know how that can be with the pharmacies....they suck so damn bad and they don't care when they do either.

I honestly do not think you are pregnant. You can wait a little while and test, but it doesn't really seem like you are. You were spotting on the other pill you were taking, so it makes sense that you'd have some abnormal bleeding. The last period you had, that you said seemed normal, what color was the blood? Women do not have actual periods while pregnant, they have spotting that can seem like a period.
|

Especially eHealthy
Ayrshire-lass wrote:
ever since i joined this website i have never ever heard of someone giving the option of abortion and adoption so much in my life!

btw thats the last option. thats when theres nothin else to do and your at the end of your tether.

so anyway dnt pannic its bad for you! just do what above said and wait a week or so, you could even do it now. just buy a test. n yes your mum really should of toold you about it but i dnt think she knew she guessed the wrong one lol. Mothers EH lol

good luck
xxxxxxxxx

why is that the last option Confused
|

Extremely eHealthy
I think it is the first option, lol!
|

Extremely eHealthy
i was wondering that too
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
wrote:

and yes, sex DOES have something to do with peer pressure. apparently sex is a 'cool' thing to do nowadays. kids often brag how many girls/guys they've been with, that they got some last night, or who's messed who, whatever. people in general are pressured into sex all the time. yeah, it's wrong. no, you shouldn't listen to such pressure but not everyone knows how to say no.

That's why you turn it around and brag about being a virgin. That's what I did for a good years before I finally got into a stable relationship when I was almost 16.
|

Extremely eHealthy
16 really isn't that old
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
yes, but it's still older than 15 and even more than a 7th grader. I was also smart enough to get BC because I knew a baby would ruin my life at that point in it. I assume you are going to say 18 isn't old enough either, but I'm 18 and pregnant now.
|

Extremely eHealthy
hah well i'm 18 too. so i can't talk. hey i lost my virginity at 14 so i'm not saying you were bad for loosing it at 16 i'm just saying i don't think it's old enough to brag about
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
but when you are 14 and everyone else is bragging about who they slept with/how many the slept with, it's nice to be able to brag about it then.
|

Especially eHealthy
I think everyone who's telling you not to have sex needs their head examined. Yeah, you're young but you're being way more responsible about it than most kids OLDER than you on this forum!! SO screw everyone else on this topic who's being all high and mighty.

Secondly, I don't think you're pregnant. If you had a normal period, then where exactly would the embryo be living? You bled it's entire world out, remember? It has no where to stay. I don't think the changed prescription mattered either. You don't actually need to wait a week as long as you start the new prescription right when you finish the placebos.
|

Extremely eHealthy
i'm not saying she shouldn't have sex. I'm saying she shouldn't blame it on someone else if something goes wrong
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...