Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

hypoglycemia symptoms returned

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this form but not new to hypoglycemia. I was diagnosed at age 10 after a 6 hour gtt as having reactive hypoglycemia. I'm now 22. For about 7 years I thought that my hypoglycemia has essentially disappeared as I was more or less without symptoms. I realize now that I was not without symptoms but rather that my symptoms had changed and I was simply not recognizing them anymore. During those years I developed some severe mental problems and fatigue and IBS. Probably from eating a lot of processed sugar and not balacing my meals. Well this past summer I started to see a chiropract who without knowing my history of reactive hypo suggested that I probably had some sugar processing issues. I sheepishly admitted to her that I had been DXed with hypo as a child but hadnt' followed the diet in about 7 years and had stopped checking my blood sugar a long time ago. She challenged me to start checking my sugar again and see if I was indeed having sugar processing issues. Well, my glucometer was at my parents house and I was at college. So when I came home three weeks ago for christmas I started checking my sugar again and found that my sugar was constanly borderline low (as in the highest numbers I've gotten have been in the 70's) but that I am very frequently running quite low (in the 40's and 50's). I found that the symptoms that I'm having when I'm in the 40's are not the same symptoms that I had as a child. In the past I would get dizzy and shakey and tearful when my sugar was too low. Now I just get flushed and feel as though I have a fever but can still function even as low as 40.
I know the first thing I need to do is make some serious changes to my diet. I'm a college student on the two a day meal plan so I usually only eat two meals a day. And they aren't the most healthy meals. They tend to be high in carbs and low in protein (especially since the only meat/animal I'll eat is turkey and chicken).
I also have a question for whoever wants to answer it--- when I was diagnosed at age 10 I was told that I would be diabetic by the time I was an adult because my pancreas would wear out. Well I'm 22 and I'm not a diabetic so I'm not sure whether to believe that I'm at imminent risk of developing diabetes. Should I be worried about this?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Damn, those are some BAD readings right there, you need to start really working on this diet. Is there any possible way you can make your own meals? It's highly doubtful you can get any relief on any meal plan unless the school will help you and give you special meals that remove excess sugars and such. Hypoglycemia is considered a pre-diabetic condition, eventually it should, or I might just need to say will, start to cause your pancreas to get worn out and you'll end up with it. I in fact, as far as my glucose readings show, was starting to get into the pre-diabetic phase but my diet cancelled it out and has set me steady. You need to fix those meals.
|
Did you find this post helpful?