Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemic With Food Poisoning

Hello,

I have pretty severe Hypoglycemia and came down with a minor case of food poisoning over Christmas. Being that I'm still only able to eat a limited selection of food, I've been having difficulties keeping my blood sugar stable. I've been keeping a steady flow of applesauce, toast, bananas, crackers, and decaf tea, but does anyone have any advice for how I can get protein into my diet without upsetting my stomach?

Thanks,
Jackie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
Well, first off, several things there you shouldn't be eating.

1. Applesauce is fine, SO LONG as it's unsweetened (it will say on the jar, natural sugars from the apple are fine). I bet yours isn't.

2. Toast is NOT okay unless whole grain. I bet yours isn't again.

3. Bananas are the single thing that hypoglycemics MUST avoid for a very long time. They're pretty much the worst fruit on the planet. If you must have them, no more than 1/2 per WEEK, no joke.

4. Crackers are also bad, unless whole grain.

5. You can ONLY drink herbal tea for awhile, I recommend rose hips. Decaf does not mean no caffeine, it simply means less, and you can't have any right now.

6. Try eating some plain yogurt, and I mean PLAIN. Also, go to a health food store and look for something called primal defense, that will help to kill what's in there. If it's a virus, you can also try drinking straight, freshly squeezed lemon juice in the morning on an empty stomach.
|

Thanks
Thanks for the advice about primal defense and yogurt, good idea.

The applesauce is unsweetened with the natural fruit juices only and the toast is whole grain white bread, though the crackers are not. It was recommended that I eat bananas to "bind me up," but they are probably the culprit of the sugar drops. Thanks, it's such a struggle having hypoglycemia and a stomach sickness at the same time.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I recommend you look at your bread more carefully, that whole grain white crap is just that, crap. Bind you up? If you want to do that, though they taste TERRIBLE, try avocados, they have far more of what you're looking for, and they contain a special sugar that hinders insulin production.
|
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....