Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

memory slipping away (Page 1)

My mother was completely fine then she went to a party and upon her return she can't seem to remember much of anything. Like its slowly slipping away from her. She can't remember all of the stuff she did a few hours before she left, or where she brought my Cuz to. I'm worried about her. She is obsessing over her phone which she seemed to have lost and I dunno what to do. Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Has the crisis abated or is she still having memory issues?

Without further details, it sounds like a drug/medication issue.
|

she went to sleep and when she awoke she seems to remember most things. although a few things still escape her. She found her phone, but still seems a little off. Its new years day so she dosen't wanna go to the doctor, but she has work tomorrow and I don't want this happening again on the train or on the street or something. She said she didn't drink at the party, and she dosen't take any mental medications.
|

Experienced User
did she drink at the party? Cuz i've been to the place where i got so drunk that i can't remember some things, i can remember what happened before, but not anything of what happened when i was totally drunk. I have been told things that i have done, and was like "what"?!?!??!
|

No she said she didn't drink so I don't think thats it; and i've never seen her get drunk so I doubt it.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
What about a head injury? Temporary amnesia?
|

I asked her, my aunt, and my other aunt who where with her at the party if anything happened and they said no. I assumed that she didn't take any head injuries because of this. She's not going to the doctors till Saturday so this is a problem.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Did she have any other symptoms? Maybe a TIA? She needs to go to the doc as soon as possible. That can be a sign of something else bad and she really needs to get checked out.
|

whats TIA?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2008
It is the beginning signs and symptoms of a stroke ... actually like a mild, mini-stroke itself. I agree with Georgia ... seing a doctor will be best.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
well what about age? it could be the beginnings of dementia as well. it was like that when my grandfather got it
|

shes 53
|

Experienced User
Maybe someone slipped a drug or something into her soda or water, or whatever she was drinking. Anything is possible. Who knows, i hope everything goes well for her on saturday though. how is she feeling today ?
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
I was thinking that except it was a professional party host by the wife of our doctor, ironic I know. She seems just fine.....but this kinda thing isn't a one time occurrence.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It really sounds like the beginnings of dementia to me. she is at an age where it could start
|

Is dementia stoppable?
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
unfortunately no but it is treatable.
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2008
DoubleEcksZero, what was the result of the doctor's visit?
|

She still hasen't gone, said she couldn't get an appointment for saturday. Supposed to be going on Thursday. I'm still worried, but all the symptoms seems to have vanished.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
sometimes its like that--sometimes its there and sometimes its not. it was all strange like that with my grandfather. sometimes he knew who i was and sometimes not and it was that way with a lot of things.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....