Hello! I am bonnie and I am 17 years old. I have posted on ehealth forum before, but under the category of anxiety/depression. Basically, I am afraid of food. I have always had a lot of food allergies ever since I was a little kid. But, I do know what I am and am not allergic to. Unfortunately I am afraid to eat things, thinking that I might end up being allergic to it and having an allergic reaction to it, stop breathing, and just die. I never use to be this way. I loved food! I wasn't afraid to eat things. But ever since we started moving a lot b/c of my dad's new job I have started developing anxiety. I honestly think when I eat some things I make myself such a nervous wreck about being allergic to it, that I make my body seem as if I am having a reaction to it, which also makes the anxiety act up. I am not on any meds for anxiety/depression. My mother thinks i'd be better off w/o it. I have pretty much learned to calm myself down..But I still worry a lot. I have been battling this food phobia since the end of november 2003. Then I weighed about 145, now i'm at about 115. I am constantly eating the same exact things...Such as mac n cheese, rice krispies, and wendy's burgers, b/c they are my comfort foods and I know i'm not allergic to it. But even though I know i'm not allergic to those things, I still worry some. All I drink is water. I get chest pains a lot, and my heart is always racing. I recently went to the dentist and he found 10 cavities. He said I am malnurished I believe, and that I should be checked for diabetes. My mother and I have noticed that my hair is sheding a lot more now, and that my skin is very dry. I know I need to eat healthier and with more variety..I'm just scared. I actually feel psycotic...And maybe I am? I know my eating habits are wrong and I know they are everytime I eat the same thing. I want to be healthy and live a long life. What should I do? I definately should see a Dr. Maybe even a psychiatrist? But I wouldn't want anyone forcing me to eat. That would only frustrate me! Thanks for anyone's advice/help that you may give me. I hope I can get my life back in order soon! ~bon
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 25th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Obviously you know you have to eat, so start with deciding what scares you least, what you "like" most & go with those - if needed eat often & little rather than making yourself ill.

I suggest you look into cbt - see posts by qt3 for full explanation of this - course are often free/cheap at universities or hospitals.
|

replied April 25th, 2004
Hey..
Thanks for the reply. Well I couldn't find any posts by qt3...And what is cbt? Thanks for your help. ~bon
|

replied April 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Cbt is cognitive behaviour therapy & according to a male psych I know it is often more helpful to women than men siimply because females are mroe likely to do the homework & practise the skills however men can of course benefit if they put in the effort!!

Qt3 - type in qt3 in the quick search bar at the top of this page & a pile of topic areas that qt3 has posted under will come up otherwise go to depression or anxiety/stress forums & see posts by qt3.
|

replied May 1st, 2004
Experienced User
I had a friend who went through a similar situation although definetly not to your extreme. I don't think your reasons of being afraid of food is unfound, as with any seroious allergy, bees etc- people are afraid of what may happen. You know what you are or are not allergic to, so stick with those foods- but choose healthier versions as opposed to junk foods to nourish yourself more, and junk foods as a treat, not a daily menu. See if your dr can provide you with allergy tests on other foods, to relax your fears a bit. I hope I helped a little take care!!!! And eat your food!!! Smile
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....