Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Newborn Hasn't Had a Bowl Movement In a Few Days

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
my daughter is 1 week old and has not a bowl movement in 3 days. what can i do to help her? Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2007
Supporter
I had that problem when my daughter was born. My best friend who is a nurse told me to lube up a thermometer and take her temperature rectally.
She said they did that in the clinic to stimulate a bowel movement.
You can massage her intestinal area too.

EDIT:
Don't be alarmed when it looks like tar either. That is normal.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
My daughter was like that when she was a couple weeks old too... I knew when they got older to give them prun juice but not that age.. But I called her dr. office and talked to the nurse and she told my if you bottle feed to put like a table spoon or 2 ( I started with one ) into her bottle.. It seemed to do the trick.. Smile Hope this works for you...
|

MiraLax! Works wonderful and it is safe for newborns yes
|

Especially eHealthy
dont give ANYTHING to her unless a dr okays it

CALL THE DR ASAP for this
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2007
Supporter
A lot of babies experience this though. It's definitely not uncommon.

It takes a little while for the first bowel movement because they've never made one before. Think about it. 9 months without poo.
It's the consistency of tar too... that makes it a little hard to get things going. It takes time.

I would try the thermometer trick. It worked for us and you don't have to worry about giving her something you need to ask a doctor for.
If that doesn't work, ask the doctor.
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Also if your baby is breastfed it can be alsmost seven days between bowel movements for newborns. Does she appear to be trying? Strining and uncomfortable?
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2008
Supporter
Marianne0558 wrote:

It takes a little while for the first bowel movement because they've never made one before. Think about it. 9 months without poo.
It's the consistency of tar too... that makes it a little hard to get things going. It takes time.

I would try the thermometer trick. It worked for us and you don't have to worry about giving her something you need to ask a doctor for.

I am not trying to be mean, but babys do have bowel movements while in the moms tummy. Just in a different way. It goes threw the cord.
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
Sarah12892 wrote:
Marianne0558 wrote:

I am not trying to be mean, but babys do have bowel movements while in the moms tummy. Just in a different way. It goes threw the cord.

not to be mean either, but it wouldnt be a BOWEL movement then... because no bowels are moving .... the cord is not connected to the bowels, but the belly button... so obviously her little bum woulsnt be doin anything... so she is right, the baby doesnt have a bowel movement for 9 months... if they had a bowel movement in utero it could be life threatening
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2008
Supporter
lagringarican787 wrote:
Sarah12892 wrote:
Marianne0558 wrote:

not to be mean either, but it wouldnt be a BOWEL movement then... because no bowels are moving .... the cord is not connected to the bowels, but the belly button... so obviously her little bum woulsnt be doin anything... so she is right, the baby doesnt have a bowel movement for 9 months... if they had a bowel movement in utero it could be life threatening

Okay I was wrong on that but all the babies I have helped deliver have had bowl movements while they are still in the hospital.. Some one said it would take a week I think.. I am sorry but I have been around tons of new borns and I have never seen it take a week.
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2008
Experienced User
consult your physician or call a nurseline to get the best advice.. Is your baby constipated or just not having a bowel movement? Because those are two totally different things. The advice given about using a rectal thermometer lubricated of course does help a constipated baby but it wouldnt help a baby who is not trying to pass a stool at all... Anything else as far as all the suggestions as to what to give the baby would have to soley be up to your pediatrician..
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
You can also buy glycerine suppositories for infants. They are very tiny. You can find them at the local pharmacy and will not harm your infant. Make sure you cut one in half however even though they are small. Better to use the least amount you have to. I still suggest calling your pediatrician.
|

replied September 21st, 2008
few bowl movements
my son is now 2months old and still only goes every two - three days and even then i have to use vasaline and hold him infront of me in a sitting position but this way he does not seem in any discomfort, and according to my health visitor and GP it is perfectly normal for some babies to only have one or two stools a weekas long as it is not like rabbit droppings ?
I have also used brown sugar or a tea spoon full of orange juice in water but only seem to have reaction with sugar and that does nt always work.
if any one no's more about this please reply.
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
I wouldn't recommend orange juice for babies. The high citric acid in orange juice can irritate the baby and give him a pretty good rash. Giving the baby any kind of sugar mixed with anything is not recommended....try 100 percent fruit juices or prune juice if you want to try that theory.
|
Quick Reply