Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

low platelets and hypothyroidism

I am 29 years old. My dr recently ordered a routine blood test because i am a new patient of hers. Less than 2 weeks later she called me back. She found that my platelet count is down. She said normal was 140-450. Mine is 115. She also discovered that my hypothyroidism has gotten dramatically worse. She ordered a 2nd blood test. Less than a week later she called me back for a third blood test. She referred me to an endocrinologist to determine why my thyroid is so bad. Does this have anything to do with leukemia?? I have 3 children under the age of 7. I'm scared but can't share with anyone.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper PBROOKES
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you take thyroid hormones like supplement daily?
When you were diagnosed with hypothyroidism for the first time?
Are you suffering from Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
What kind of symptoms you have experienced recently?
|

replied May 25th, 2008
low platelets
My granddaughter was told she had low platelets. How does platelets work in the body? What does it mean to have low platelets?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
littlegram, welcome to EHEALTHforum!
Platelets or thrombocytes are blood cells that play an important role in blood clotting.
They have ability to adhere one to another and to blood vessels walls, forming plugs in blood vessel holes, thus stopping blood loss.

Is she experiencing frequent bleeding and bruising?
|

replied May 26th, 2008
I am her (Joan's) granddaughter. ...haha. Yes i bleed a lot during my period or if i cut myself. And yes, i have bruises, only on my legs for some reason. but i have no idea where they come from. My doctor said he was going to refer me to a hemotologist but i haven't heard anything back from them =(
|

replied May 26th, 2008
errr littlegram...sorry gram =)
|

replied May 26th, 2008
errr littlegram...sorry gram =)
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, ahutchis!
Can, you, please, share with us the informations about your visit of hematologist?
Do you have other symptoms?

Low number of platelets can be due to reduced production of platelets in bone marrow, increased breakdown of platelets and trapping of platelets in the enlarged spleen.
|
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....