Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Induce or get membranes stripped?

User Profile
Dec 31st is my due date.

Dr said if I don't have her by then, that I should consider scheduling an induction.

This week she wanted to strip my membranes to get things moving but I chickened out in fear that it might hurt.

What do you guys think, should I have my baby induced or try the having my membranes stripped?

Or should I just let things flow and hope she comes out on her own soon? I don't know if there are any risks if she takes her time but I think I may just wait on her to make her apperance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2007
Community Volunteer
You can go up to 2 weeks past your due date and that is still considered term because of date errors. Induction has risks, so if you don't go on your due date, don't rush yourself. Membrane stripping isn't necessary either.

I think it's terrible that your doctor is being so invasive and trying to rush things. If you aren't ready, you aren't ready and she shouldn't mess with that. If you are more than a week past your due date, or the baby is getting too big, or there is a specific and real health concern, then go ahead with induction.

The only risk with waiting for labor is if the placenta starts to detach and disintegrate because it is only meant to last for a certain period of time. But there is no way you will be to be worrying about that at this point....there is still plenty of time!

Just give yourself time and tell your doc to have more respect for your body and your baby too!
|

If you do consider membrane stripping I can tell you from my own experience that it doesn't really hurt, at least it didn't hurt me. But you should ONLY do what your comfortable with. I was young when I had my first son and I was impatient. Make sure you don't let them pressure you into anything that you feel uncomfortable about. Good luck!
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
mominashoe wrote:
You can go up to 2 weeks past your due date and that is still considered term because of date errors. Induction has risks, so if you don't go on your due date, don't rush yourself. Membrane stripping isn't necessary either.

I think it's terrible that your doctor is being so invasive and trying to rush things. If you aren't ready, you aren't ready and she shouldn't mess with that. If you are more than a week past your due date, or the baby is getting too big, or there is a specific and real health concern, then go ahead with induction.

The only risk with waiting for labor is if the placenta starts to detach and disintegrate because it is only meant to last for a certain period of time. But there is no way you will be to be worrying about that at this point....there is still plenty of time!

Just give yourself time and tell your doc to have more respect for your body and your baby too!

Thankyou for your advice. This is my first pregnancy and I'm not all that educated about everything. Yeah I thought she was being pushy but then again I wasnt sure if that was just the way it typically goes. I want to wait for her to make her appearance on her own unless she becomes at risk or anything goes wrong.
|

Especially eHealthy
i really don't get why so many doctors push inductions these days. unless there's a reason to induce why not wait? you know the baby won't stay in there forever!

i had an emergency induction at 40w3d. i was in labor for 14 hours (and i was seriously in agony, it hurt so bad), then i ended up with a c-section. so my induction and 14 hours of pain was all for nothing.

my advice is to wait at least a week past your due date before you start considering an induction.

good luck!
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
id go with the membraine stripping before the induction, it will be shorter and it will hurt a lot less, it will make sure they dont take the baby too soon (if you body isnt ready it wont work), and if it doesnt work and you still want to have that baby you can still have an induction

my doctor wouldnt even think about induction until i was 41 weeks, although i refused and ended up having my baby the day before they would have schedualed me for the induction had i wanted it

~alicia~
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
Supporter
I'd go for the sweep before induction anyday. I don't get why doctor's are so keen to force labour, it's not like the baby's not going to come out
|

replied January 4th, 2008
I had a membrane strip when I was a week overdue, and I had my daughter 48 hours later. Who knows.... perhaps even if I hadn't had it done I would have given birth at the same time anyway! The strip hurt a bit, but it was OK overall.

I was booked in for an induction the day after my daughter was born, so whatever the cause, I managed to avoid the induction.... and from what I have heard, avoiding an induction is a good thing. Apparently contractions caused by induction are far more painful than when you go into labor on your own.
|

replied January 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
i owould

leave it alone and let nature take its course
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2008
Supporter
the_girlfriend wrote:
i owould

leave it alone and let nature take its course

me too, babies won't stay in there forever. The only reason i let my midwife book me in for an induction was because my sisters wedding was the week after
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...