Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Someone Please Help Me Out!

User Profile
When I have 10 now going on 14 years ago I watched one of my friends get hit by a car.He flew though the air and hit the side of my parents movein truck.When it happened it was like slowed down.It seemed to take forever but I still didnt have time to help him.I blamed myself for not yellin to tell him to stop.I just am worrie.Well do you think that could have led to my bi-polar and schizo affective.Someone please help me.I really need to get to the bottom of this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
although this would affect you in certain ugly ways, it's nothing but truth. I don't see how seeing something like this happening could cause a brain or emotional disorder, now if you were okay with it and it had no effect on you then something would be wrong with you, like being evil or something of the sort. But if you see someone mowed over by a freaking automobile and feel bad about it, thats not a disease.

That is just not a disease, am I making sense?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
No one knows what causes the brain to develop these disorders.

I hope you have access to competent, professional care to explore your issues regarding this horrific event, and if that allowed you to easily slip into a depressed period and be misdiagnosed.
|

No no no, if you see your friend mowed down, it makes you feel bad, ya know why? Because it is horrible, it's as simple as that, not a disease.
|

User Profile
I relized that.But cant it cause post traumatic stress disorder and cant that lead to worse things
|

replied December 28th, 2007
Oh, it will cause bad emotions but if it's something like seeing your friend get runover I don't think that there is any pill to help with emotions that you should be feeling.

Something like that happens, man, your just gonna have to feel bad basically.

Define post traumatic stress disorder. Seeing bad things happen causes this? That isn't a disorder then.
Ya know, post traumatic stress disorder might just be made up, down right delusional, because if you see something bad happen and you aren't completely retarded or a poo poo face your gonna feel bad about it. That is like giving people pills for being good and caring.
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
LMAO I no I am not a poo poo face..lol.I understand.I do have Bi-polar I just want to no what could have caused it.Or does it just happen.I am so lost.I want to take pills but I am not sure what the safest pill is out there.I was taken Lithium CR.Then I stoped cause it was doing nothing but givein me more panic attacts.crap is just so crazy.
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2007
Then what you do is go back to your doctor and say "The lithium doesn't seem to be working, can we try something else?" Your doc will have suggestions and solutions. If he doesn't do it on his own, ask to be referred for a psychiatric consultation. Youll get a full psych work up done on you with a psychiatrist and then you can begin to work on what's brought this on, if it has anything to do with the accident, etc. You may feel guilt, shame, horrified, scared, or traumatized, but how would you expect to feel after seeing something like that?

I mean c'mon, you think there is an actual disorder called Gulf War Syndrome? Just cause you were in the Gulf War doesn't give you a brain disorder. What HAPPENED in the war can cause you to have feelings and thoughts that you need to seek help for, but can we call that a mental disorder? No? Those are normal thoughts and feelings.

To watch someone die and NOT be affected by it, now THAT is a mental condition.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....