Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Christians/non-christians? (Page 1)

User Profile
I have a question..
If there where two rooms, one room had 20 Christians in it. And the other room had 20 Non-Christians in it, and you have some valuable things you needed to leave in one of the rooms for awhile which room would you choose?
You don't know any of the people in either room.
Be honest.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 27th, 2007
I don't have a direct answer to that question. There is a particular sect of people who I do not trust, I won't state who, I wouldn't leave anything with them.

I would trust my instincs (6th sense Wink). If the situation is due to a disaster, where all I had was my most valuable items, that would be pictures. I don't think other people would find pictures, of my loved ones valuable. To me, everything else can be replace.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I wouldn't leave valuable things in a room of strangers in all honesty
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I wouldn't leave them in either. It's the person, not the religion, that makes them honest. Even tho religion should be a more reliable guide. Besides, Christian is such a broad category that the question is too open ended.

It would depend on what I had to leave and what the religion was.

The 10 commandments, although natural law, were given to the chosen people for a reason lol.
|

Most Diplomatic Poster
what a divisive question.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
A junker parked in a garage does not automatically become a Mercedes.

If I didn't know you better, meblonde (since I know your religious affiliation) I could make a convincing case that you are trying to paint an unpleasant picture of people who do not identify as Christians. It's pretty insulting. Could you explain more why you would create such a (as kaerbear said) divisive thread?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Birch wrote:
A junker parked in a garage does not automatically become a Mercedes.

If I didn't know you better, meblonde (since I know your religious affiliation) I could make a convincing case that you are trying to paint an unpleasant picture of people who do not identify as Christians. It's pretty insulting. Could you explain more why you would create such a (as kaerbear said) divisive thread?

Actually Birch, It was not to be intended to insult anyone.. There was a segment on T.V this morning talking about a person who left something is a church feeling it would be safe and it was stolen. The T.V guy wondered how many people thought leaving something with a Non-Christian made it any different then leaving it with a Christian and I was wondering everyone’s thought? The TV man made the scenario of 20 people in a room. I guess I should have worded it different.
I personally don't leave my purse alone in church or in a restaurant.
No offense meant..
|

Most Diplomatic Poster
i was in church one sunday and during communion a guy came in and started wandering around the church furtively. he was obviously down and out by the looks of him and he ended up snatching a purse off of a pew and making a run for the door. the guy who used to sit behind me (he died) chased the guy up some stairs and cornered him by some locked doors. the police were called but by the time they got there our priest had prayed with him and given him five bucks and a can of tomato soup (lol). she told him please don't steal anymore and come to services if he wants to (preferably sober) and gave him info about the food bank and the police warned him and let him go. i don't know how this story relates to this thread, i was just reminded of it for some reason. i guess i liked the way it was dealt with.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Tomato soup.. LOL cute..
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Christians/non-christians?
meblonde01 wrote:
I have a question..
If there where two rooms, one room had 20 Christians in it. And the other room had 20 Non-Christians in it, and you have some valuable things you needed to leave in one of the rooms for awhile which room would you choose?
You don't know any of the people in either room.
Be honest.

Neither. I don't trust people in general that much no matter religious affliation.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I was thinking that you could also put this in the same category as racism. I am not a racist. I don't judge one person by what the majority of their race is prone to do. There are blacks who are violent and those who are sweet and wonderful and wouldn't hurt a fly. There is white trash and then there are perfectly respectable Caucasians.

I am living in a Christian community and there are very traditional people living here, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to lock my doors at night. Catholics are Christian, but why do you think they have confession?
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Coming From a Background of Being Protestant
and converting to being Catholic, there are some things in my background that are still within me. Going to Confession is a sacrament. I have gone maybe twice in my life. I still feel it is between me and God and I ask him to forgive me for what I have done, what I have failed to do and I ask that I can do better.

Confession at my church is now cut down to from 4:00 to 4:30 on Saturday. I think it is God who hears us and what is in our hearts that we know good and well that we need to think about.
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
Supporter
Christian doesn't equal pious. They're not synonymous. I'd judge based on how I felt about the people in the room.
|

replied December 29th, 2007
I have often been to mass and before communion taken my coat off, put my phone down ect and left them alone and in plain sight, nothing has ever been stolen, but that does not mean nothing ever will, being Christian does not mean we are without sin, without weakness or do not suffer temptation, perhaps we suffer more than most, perhaps that is why we go to church, perhaps we are weaker than the average joe, perhaps we do need a"crutch" ,or perhaps we just realise that all people do.

I think that is the key, that all people are weak and prone to temptation, that the christian tempted to theive and the non christian tempted to theive both suffer temptation, both are weak both under there own steam are likely to steal but it is because the christian has faith in Christ that supernatural graces are more likely to be bestowed upon the Christian - Jesus said to saint paul ""My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore paul said "I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me"

and that is why i would and do leave my belonings in Church and why i would never dream of it in a nightclub, pub, football stadium.

But who is in the wrong when the theif steals, am I free from wrong doing, by leaving my belongings am i not putting before the theif the temptation?
|

Most Diplomatic Poster
yeah, i always leave my stuff on the pew when i go for communion too. i would rather have them stolen than make the people in my church think i don't trust them. the only thing that worries me is if someone comes in from outside because there are often street involved people hanging out waiting for the services to be over so they can come in and have the snack and coffee. they might steal because they are often on drugs or sniff. but i still leave my stuff. it is just stuff after all.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Gu£st wrote:

But who is in the wrong when the theif steals, am I free from wrong doing, by leaving my belongings am i not putting before the theif the temptation?

Does that mean you share the blame if your items are stolen?
|

If i cause a person to temptation and I could have avoided that then yes.

If I own a pub and i serve an alcoholic drink do i not share some blame for his being an alcoholic
|

User Profile
Same Here
When it is time for communion, that is what is uppermost in my heart and mind. I leave my purse on the pew. Interestingly, it is the really older women who do not. They hold onto that purse like it is their lifeline.

But, we live in a very rural, conservative area. Think Orange County Republicans.

Do I leave my car in the parking lot unlocked? No. Do I carry every single credit card that I have in my purse when I go to church? No. I believe discretion is the better part of valor.
|

replied January 1st, 2008
If you had to choose whether to leave your nine year old son alone in a room with a Catholic priest or an atheist, which would you choose? Be honest.

^See how I did that? I can insist that it was just a question to satisfy my curiosity but any devout Catholics reading it would see it as a slam. It would be easy enough to excuse it as an innocent question because rather than just come out and attack the group (in this example, Catholics), I'm relying on reputation and public perception of non-Catholics to covertly insult them.

If there's a harmless reason for framing a question like that, you should add a disclaimer explaining why you're asking it. Otherwise you shouldn't get surprised when it's seen as a snark.
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Gu£st wrote:
If i cause a person to temptation and I could have avoided that then yes.

If I own a pub and i serve an alcoholic drink do i not share some blame for his being an alcoholic

Wow.

How far does this go? If you own a gun shop and sell a gun to someone...are you responsible there?

If you sell a skirt to a woman and she gets raped, are you responsible there? Is she?

If you are a Catholic priest and a homosexual commits suicide because of your beliefs, are you responsible there?
|
Quick Reply