Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Recurring Depression , getting off medicine

Is it normal to have recurring depression? I have been on paxil,lexapro,effexor xr,effexor in the last approx. 8 yrs. I have tried to get off of the medicine on and off throughout the years. Is this why i have been having trouble with depression. If so , when fo i get off of this medicine or do i live my life and not worry about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
please dont type in all caps it makes it ard to read Smile
thanks

ok anyways i think you need to talk to your doctor or a theripist about this.
maybe the medication isnt helping if your takeing it but still depressed? there may be other alternative or options for you but you should seek medical/theripist first before makeing any decitions.
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2007
Community Volunteer
If you have tried all the main medications and they haven't helped, then there probably isn't a pill out there for you. There is no pill out there for me. I have tried many many different kinds and nothing has helped me.

If you are currently taking something, do taper it off gradually with the advice of your prescribing doctor. Being med-free is a great thing even tho you still have the depression to deal with, but it the meds aren't helping, why add that extra job of taking pills to your day? Sometimes the medication can worsen your symptoms and the withdrawal is never worth it either.

For me depression has three main components, besides a possible imbalance of chemicals in the brain. These are the problems of every day and lack of sleep and diet.

If you do decide to change from meds to an alternative method, consult your doctor. Otherwise it is your perspective on life that you have to force yourself to change...to realize that you are not in control of everything and never can be, and that you will make mistakes. Take a deep breath and put things in order as to what really does and does not matter. If you can't change it, let it go!

The next thing to do is to get 8 hours of sleep in every single night. Put yourself on a regular schedule. Write it down and stick to it.

After that all you have to do is eat right. Stay away from caffeine and processed sugar. You will find that just doing that small change in your diet will give you a lot of power you thought you never had, not to mention the health benefits of a better diet. There are some people who have balanced their depression through diet and I am sure there is a dietitian near you or a nutritionalist that could help you find the right diet for your lifestyle.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Depression is usually recurrent and life long treatment is needed. After first episode 6 months treatment is recommended. After first recurrence
2 years treatment is needed. After second recurrence life long treatment is recommended.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.