Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar And Pregnancy - But Different Topic

My husband and I are both totally uninterested in having children at this point in our lives. We were uninterested in having children before we found at that he was bipolar. We agreed that we like kids, but since both of us are about as mature as the average 12 year old, we should wait - a long time - like 10 years or something.

Now I read another person's post about how lithium might affect her unborn child.

Here's what I'm wondering - how many of us that are bipolar or have a bipolar spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend want to have kids? I know that I do at some point in my life - but I also know that I will never have my husband's child.

I will not bring a child into this world knowing that they will probably inherit my husband's mental illness. I would never wish that my child's future spouse will have to go through what we've been going through.

If we ever have children, we will adopt.

Now -

I know I'm being melodramatic, and since my husband and I have not been planning on having children for some time, this isn't a big deal right now. And, he's only been diagnosed for about 3 months. I know that things can get a lot worse. I have only lived with this illness for a short time.

But what are your thoughts? For those of you that are older and have older kids, are your children bipolar? Did the thought of bipolar being hereditary turn you from having more children?

And for those bipolar women, how did you handle your pregnancy? How was the stress, did you still take your medication, etc, etc.

See, I don't want a kid right now - but my cousin's 2 year old son is starting to look awfully cute... Very Happy

But not cute enough. He still seems like an awful lot of work.

Coal
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i have a 3 week old little girl and my bf is bipolar
well hes not on meds and hasnt exactly been diagnosed with it by a dr but he totally is

i dont know if kristen got his temper yet. i sure hope not
ive been living with him almost a year now and tings get rough
really rough soemtimes i just want to scream. most of the times i just want to leave him. but now we have a child to think about as well. so now its not whats best for just ME but for ME AND her
when you have kids youve gotta think about 2 people then
yourself and the child
thats hard

and yeah that 2yr old may be cute
but cuteness isnt anything at all
babies arent cute when they are up at 3 am screaming bloddy murder
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
coal, you are not alone! My husband is bipolar & we don't want kids. I didn't want them before & I honestly think he doesn't want them b/c he doesn't want to pass down his BPD genes. It's something we've talked about on many occasions & we're glad we're not reproducing!

Instead, my husband tries to be supportive of his brother's twin boys. Those kids are adorable & it gives my husband a chance to connect w/ children w/o the burden of full-time care for them. Smile
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...