Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me with my question.

If I had lung cancer, would a routine blood work test show any sign of it? Like, would it show at least some inkling of something that the doctor would raise a little flag and follow up with further tests?

thanks in advance for the help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Routine blood test that gives values of blood cells count, can't detect lung cancer.
There are some medical news that a simple blood test that detects four different body proteins and test that detects certain antibodies can be used as screening tool for early detection of lung cancer.

Here are the links you may find it interesting:

http://blog.healthtalk.com/zimney/a-blood- test-for-lung-cancer/
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/9 1177.php

Do you cough most of the time?
Have you noticed a change in a cough you have had for a long time?
Are you coughing up phlegm (sputum) with signs of blood in it ?
|

replied December 21st, 2007
Hi again MandMs
You are very active in these forums, and you offer such great advice! Thanks for your replies so far Smile

No, I don't cough at all, but I have chest pain. The chest pain is quite chronic actually. It's in the sternum area and just to the left and right of the sternum as well. It's not really "pain" either. It's more like soreness, and I can only feel it when I push into my chest or when I take a very deep breath which expands my rib cage. Otherwise, I have no breathing difficulties, and the soreness cannot be felt otherwise.

I know it is a very likely possibility of costochondritis due to the fact that the pain/soreness only is evident when I push down into specific areas on my ribs. I was previously involved in a minor car accident that caused a couple of bruised ribs (side impact accident). However, this is all new to me, so I would like to rule out any possibility.

Thanks again MandMs
|
Users who thank Gordon79 for this post: MandMs 
Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....