Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Do Antipsychotic drugs increase psychosis ? (Page 1)

Yup. Antipsychotic drugs are dangerous and they increase psychosis!

Antipsychotics should be prohibited! What are psychiatrist thinking ?????
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper slam
|
Users who thank slam for this post: hcheu482  seamurmur 

replied February 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Psychiatrist uses antipsychotics as a chemical lobotomy to the brain. Science now shows that antipsychotics shrinks the frontal lobe of the brain. The longer you stay on it, the harder to go off it. If you used it for awhile, it will become impossible to go off it. They become drug addicts with serious side effects. Psychiatrist uses antipsychotics really as a social control! Use antipsychotics no more than a month! After that,a psychiatrist should prescribe a psychologist.

Psychiatrist invented "schizophrenia" to describe people who are emotionally overwhelmed. Schizophrenia is a healing process of the brain once the brain could not process all the infomation. It is like a crash in a computer and schizophrenia is the rebooting of the computer.
|

replied February 11th, 2006
Slam, do you have schizophrenia or any type of mental illness? I wonder why you constantly tell people to stop taking their medication and how the medication is evil etc. Have you personally taken this type of medication?

Some people are seriously ill. Do you realise this? Do you realise how the medication they take is keeping them alive? Do you know what kind of damage you are doing telling people not to take their medication?

I think you are causing a lot of damage by condemning this medication.

I wonder why people like you frequent websites like this, and try to get people to become non med compliant.
|

replied February 15th, 2006
Experienced User
Cloudedmind,

i was diagnose with schizophrenia a year ago. I took geodon for almost six months, seroquel for a month, and risperdal for about three months. Now, I am completely off antipsychotics. It's been two months and I have no problems except for one side effect i'm still experiencing due to withdrawal. I'm experiencing brain cramps. I spent a month researching why this is happening. Science has proven that antipsychotics shrinks the frontal lobe of the brain and at the same time increases another area of the brain. I believe the antipsychotics rewire the brain and at the same time damages it. The brain cramps i'm feeling can be cause by blood circulation problem. It is because of this that the frontal lobe can shrink. Blood circulation is vital for health of the nervous system. Antipsychotics action is to block. What else does it block? With risperdal, one of the side effects is blood circulation problems. I am very angry.

I found out a few months ago, there was an alternative treatment to mental illness, if the illness is really an illness. Loren mosher, one of few psychiatrist, believes you can treat it without medication. So he begun the soteria project, treated first time people with schizophrenia. The results was very successful. Also, developing countries who cannot afford medication also did very good. If it is a brain desease, why then does the symptoms go away. Using medication will prolong the recovery and too long, you will never recover. It is the medication that causes the chemical imbalance.

There are a lot of books out that shows the dangers of psychiatric drugs. You just have to look for it. It is there. There are also books on people recovering from schizophrenia without dangerous medication. Soteria and dante's cure are good examples. Recovery is possible. Psychiatry will deny that but look at all the evidence. The illness could actually be only psychological, solved through psychotherapy alone. There is another option to medication. It probably is not fast acting like medication but it is a cure. Medication only mask the problem and damages the brain.
|
Users who thank slam for this post: daisybell2 

replied November 23rd, 2011
Have you heard about peter breggin its about the dangers of psychiatric medications. i am still trying to come off mine after 12 years and i have crashed again. The symptoms i had before have come up again about me going to hell. What cures? is there i know of one treatment and that is niacin supplement.
|

replied February 17th, 2006
Experienced User
slam wrote:
cloudedmind,

i was diagnose with schizophrenia a year ago. I took geodon for almost six months, seroquel for a month, and risperdal for about three months. Now, I am completely off antipsychotics. It's been two months and I have no problems except for one side effect i'm still experiencing due to withdrawal. I'm experiencing brain cramps. I spent a month researching why this is happening. Science has proven that antipsychotics shrinks the frontal lobe of the brain and at the same time increases another area of the brain. I believe the antipsychotics rewire the brain and at the same time damages it. The brain cramps i'm feeling can be cause by blood circulation problem. It is because of this that the frontal lobe can shrink. Blood circulation is vital for health of the nervous system. Antipsychotics action is to block. What else does it block? With risperdal, one of the side effects is blood circulation problems. I am very angry.

I found out a few months ago, there was an alternative treatment to mental illness, if the illness is really an illness. Loren mosher, one of few psychiatrist, believes you can treat it without medication. So he begun the soteria project, treated first time people with schizophrenia. The results was very successful. Also, developing countries who cannot afford medication also did very good. If it is a brain desease, why then does the symptoms go away. Using medication will prolong the recovery and too long, you will never recover. It is the medication that causes the chemical imbalance.

There are a lot of books out that shows the dangers of psychiatric drugs. You just have to look for it. It is there. There are also books on people recovering from schizophrenia without dangerous medication. Soteria and dante's cure are good examples. Recovery is possible. Psychiatry will deny that but look at all the evidence. The illness could actually be only psychological, solved through psychotherapy alone. There is another option to medication. It probably is not fast acting like medication but it is a cure. Medication only mask the problem and damages the brain.
it is nice to know there are people out there who feel this way.. I know someone who had been the "victim" of several different medications...Yes, some people do well with em, but I for one believe the s*** will cause more problems...This person I know became toxic from all the crap the so called "doctors" were making her take..She could have died from it...You know who saved her life? Her art therepist... But to be honest, I think americas mental health system sucks...There are very few docs who really truelly know what they are doing...
|

replied February 17th, 2006
Experienced User
Most people don't know how corrupt the system of psychiatry is in the states. The people are taking dangerous medications without knowing it. And if you ask if it is safe, they would lie in your face. Most of the people taking it don't really need it. There are a lot of people that's diagnose with schizophrenia and recovers. They diagnose people way to early. How can they fix the problem of the system, when you get expose to the medication so early? Thank god there are other countries that can set things right with their treatment. The most successful countries are the ones that cannot afford medication. The psychiatry in states ignores the results! Read "mad in america". The book goes through it very good.
|

replied October 5th, 2012
Hi Slam, Thank you for drawing attention to this issue. In my experience also, the doctors have denied the dangerous side effects of antipsychotics, and even refused to discuss the side effects with me completely. They tried to convince me to take them without any disclosure of effects at all. They recommended a medication that was completely unsuited to me and could have made me gain 50-60 pounds (and put me at risk for diabetes) had I been gullible enough to take it. I chose a milder anti-psychotic but still had terrible effects. I also had brain cramping, gained weight, was nauseous, and just generally felt slowed down cognitively. I stopped taking the medication and feel much healthier again although my metabolism has been permantly damaged. I am extremely angry that I was made to take this, and disgusted at the lack of respect I was given in the medical system. I beleive they just aim to make you "less of a problem" and do not care about a person's well being whatsoever. None of the doctors took any time to get to know me as a person and would not entertain a different course of treatment even though I enquired about it. Once diagnosed with schizophrenia, society will take them for an idiot. There are many very intelligent people with mental illness who do not wished to be bullied by arogant, incompetent psychiatrists. People with schizophrenia deserve to have their intelligence and freedom of choice properly respected by being given honest information about these dangerous substances.
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2013
We are way too trusting that just because someone has initials behind their name it makes them like God. An all-knowing God. It is about time that people start reading more and getting as much information as possible to draw their own conclusion. No one knows your body more than you. Science is not better than nature.
|

replied February 18th, 2006
Experienced User
Will do... I have a 10 year old cousin who was diagnosed manic....He is already on a mind altering medication...This kid is 10 years old!!! Poor thing, when I see him, he just looks so empty..This is ridiculous!!
|

replied February 18th, 2006
Experienced User
I want to go back in the 'matrix'(blind). This real world is ugly. Once i've taken that blue pill, nobody warned me this would happen. The psychiatrists are the evil computers. :) I hope there exist a chosen one that can set things right.
|

replied November 24th, 2014
Here is something that should equal the chances: Ginkgo Biloba works by stimulating circulation and oxygen flow to the brain, particularly the frontal lobe which is responsible for higher thinking, decision making, and short-term memory recall.

I nearly lost my job because I kept forgetting to do little simple tasks. It was so frustrating and I thought there was nothing I could do. Then a friend recommended Luminene and I'm so glad she did. My mind is so sharp and my short term memory is back! Needless to say, I am impressed with this supplement and have even told some of my co-workers about it. I'm an engineer with long days at the office and needed an extra mental boost. I wanted to try something natural so when my doctor recommended that I try an herbal supplement. I was skeptical, but decided to try it anyway and now I couldn't be more excited with the results. My brain feels like it's back in college! Bottom line - amazing stuff. Thank you so much. Hope that will help a lot of Neo-cortexes.
|

replied February 21st, 2006
How to Get Rid of Risperdal?
Slam:

as u had used risperdal for 3 months, what rate? 3 mg or more?

I am using 1.5 mg per day for over 4 months. Total use of risperdal were 9 months.

How to get off it?

Wait for your reply.
|

Experienced User
If you are young, you will need to ask your parents for you to stop taking the drugs. Here is a site that help prove that you need to get off it. Show this to help you. If they say it's ok, then I will tell you. I was on 4mg for 3 months.

Http://thestreetspirit.Org/august2005/madi nterview.Htm
|

I Am 46 Yrs Old
The doctor said last week that soon I will drop the morning dosis 0.5 mg to 0.25 mg. And the nite remain at 1 mg for 15 more months.
|

replied July 6th, 2008
to slam
what r brain cramps? psych. have had me on a dose of riperdal for a year despite my complaints about it's effects. is there a remedy for the damage it may have caused?
thanks for your time.
|

replied January 5th, 2009
how do I get off medication
how do I get off medication
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2013
Read "Natural Cures THEY don't want you to know about" by Kevin Trudeau in its entirety. Pay special attention to chapter 6. It is a real eye opener! Medications don't do anything but mask symptoms - we need to rely on our own bodies to heal themselves and not be brainwashed by big pharm, the media, FDA, politicians. None of them care about the health of the American people.
|

replied January 20th, 2009
taking abilify
Is Abilify one of the medications that shrink the frontal lobe of the brain?
|

replied January 20th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Here is my plight, I have gone off of my meds for almost a year before, but all my "symptoms" return eventually, and then I almost die. Pretty much if I do not take them I will surely die, if not today then tomorrow. So, take them and live longer and in less pain, or don't take them and you probably know what, or do you not know what happens to us? Now sure, some of the time the pills don't work at all, i've seen it happen, sometimes they do nothing at all while killing the person, but in my case my "symptoms" go away, I have no choice.
|

replied February 7th, 2009
RE: taking abilify
I'm considering that Abilify may lower the chemical conductivity of the fluid contained in and surrounding the brain after prolonged usage. Although I don't take as much as I did, I can tell its effects when I attempt certain advanced tasks such as studying college work. Some people may feel that the drug can increase one's concentration, but I feel that it makes the effort of studying more difficult when I try to grasp concepts and theories. I was a chemistry major in college, and most people who majored in a science major know how challenging the subject really is. However, that's not to say that if I don't take abilify, my thoughts that may cause unreasonable behaviors are completely inhibited. My purpose here is to find out if there's medication that can be taken along with abilify to somewhat increase brain conductivity.
|

replied April 6th, 2010
i was on 160 mg geodon nightly. I now feel like my brain is numb. What is this?
|

replied April 6th, 2010
slam im sorry but it really sounds like your under a delusion. What type of schizophrenia were you diagnosed with? paranoid, catatonic, or disorganized. Schizo cannot be cured. Unfortunately its permanent, the anti psychotics block dopamine receptors because in Schizophrenics, your dopamine is mass produced. Lack of blood flow would increase your symptoms of schizophrenia not dull them, and if it was cut off too much, that part of your brain would die, and you would have a stroke. Im sorry your science just isn''t adding up, mainly because you haven''t given any proof behind your claims other than citing a book. You said its been two months without medicine. Thats the problem with true schizophrenia, it infects the part of your brain that tells you " something is not normal here". So your " Nothings wrong with me" could be part of your delusion. If you truly had schizo, them you still do, and you always will until they find a cure. They call it the cancer of mental diseases for a reason. ( not saying the side effects aren''t bad from the medicine, i know it makes you feel dull and distant, but the goal is to keep you as sane as possible, and to keep the people around you safe. BTW I''m going for an MRI to see if I''m developing psychosis, but thats another story)
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
The dopamine theory for schizophrenia is only a theory and it cannot be proven that it is a chemical imbalance look at the site its got everything you need to know about the truth about psych medications. The drugs are addictive easy to start hard to come off them. The dangers of psych meds is real, stuff like tardive dykensia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome research it yourself
|

replied October 5th, 2012
There have been published papers that show antipsychotics may shrink the frontal lobe of the brain, though I do not have the link right now.

Just because someone does not feel as though they need to take anti-psychotics does not mean that they are delusional. Also, many people do recover from episodes of psychosis and are never effected again.

Also, just because someone diagnosed with this and is not taking medication does not mean that they are dangerous to themselves or others.
|

replied August 6th, 2010
I found this along a chain of research about how and why antipsychotic, dopamine-inhibiting drugs could *increase" psychosis...started with me researching an "herbal remedy" my partner has been taking for insomnia, which turned out to be not exactly "herbal", but a pharmaceutical-grade dose of L-THP, which is a dopamine-inhibitor. I was trying to learn about potential side-effects, since he's apparently had a few frightening *auditory hallucinations* coinciding with starting this "remedy". Then I figured out that an anti-psychotic drug-Seroquel- which he'd taken in the past, has the same dopamine-inhibiting action. He stopped taking it because it *increased* severity/frequency of psychotic episodes!
Still haven't figured out how/why this can happen. But I've observed it first-hand!(for some background, he's been diagnosed as bi-polar...and does seem to fit the profile. He seemed to stabilize with Lamictal, but still swung more on the "manic" side at times, so his Dr added Seroquel to the regimen) In his case, while on Seroquel, he tended to "freak out for no apparent reason" first thing in the morning, which could indicate a withdrawl symptom. It did have the effect of temporarily inducing a zombie-like state...until he woke up! We found there was absolutely no benefit there!!
I did read a short research "abstract" indicating that some anti-psychotics can increase pituitary function/enlarge pituitary volume, and that the same phenomena has been observed immediately before/after onset of(non-drug-related) psychosis. Wait...what?? Anti-psychotics can have a similar effect on pituitary function as psychosis??
My conclusion? Brain science, bio-chemistry, psychiatry, psychology remain very complex and mysterious subjects. As far as the drug-happy psychiatric field...they're getting the thumbs-up from pharmaceutical companies who fund and oversee the "results" of research on their products. Independent, unbiased research is scarce and hard to find. Surely, there could be some significant benefit from certain drugs for certain individuals(I admit that I observed more positive than negative effects from Lamictal in moderating the bi-polar swings). But I think that, instead of placing blind faith in so-called experts(who are just human, often flawed), or some supposed "miracle drug"(promoted by people motivated to make a profit)...we should keep in mind that we're still basically "guinea pigs" in a grand experiment, and if you don't want to be a casualty, do whatever you can to be informed, aware, and proactive in your health care...right?
|

replied August 25th, 2010
SLAM,

(don't take offense) I think you might experiencing some complex delusions, probably because you are not taking your medication.

You were diagnosed with a mental illness and a medical doctor felt like you would benefit from certain medications and he prescribed them to you..and you were supposed to keep taking them...right, (hopefully you didn't buy online without a diagnosis and evaluation.)

Anyway, ask you doctor more questions, if you are experiencing side effects let him know exactly what they are.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....