Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Effexor-XR 150mg Once Daily for depression and anxiety

Hi everyone, My name is Callan I'm a 18-year-old from Melbourne Australia.

For the last 11 or so weeks I've had a very bad unexplained illness. My worst symptoms are, bad nausea and vomiting unless I take 2 - 3 tablets of Maxilon (10mg metoclopramide) per day. Other symptoms include constant changing from Constipation to Diorreah and constant bow problems including bad pains in my lower body.

Symptoms range from being not so bad, to very bad, to manageable, straight to horrible.

Why is this post in the Mental Conditions? Because I've been seeing my doctor for about 8 weeks of this problem now, and have had all of the following tests;

* CT Scan of Brain (without intravenous contrast enhancement)
* FES-0 (Iron Studies)
* MBI-0 (General Biochemistry)
* TFT-0 (Thyroid Function Test)
* CRP-0 (C-Reactive Protein)
* GLU-0 (Glucoses)
* CLC-0 (Coeliac Panel)
* FZ-0 (Faeces M/C/S)
* Ultrasound of Upper Abdomen
* Gastroscopy
* FBE-0 (Full Blood Examination)

And all have come back with NOTHING abnormal (aside from a small hiatus hernia in the Gastroscopy).

I am also currently on Effexor-XR 150mg Once Daily for depression and anxiety and have been for about 6 months.

I also recently quit my job of 5 months because I was just too sick. I've also been quite un-usual lately, my head constantly feels light even when I've had maxilon.

The doctors still have next to no idea whats wrong with me, still "No cause for symptoms."
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 29th, 2007
I took Effexor XR 225 mg/day for about six months. Your symptoms sound like they are definately related to some sort of gastointestinal problem. In clinical studies, the most common side effects with EFFEXOR XR (reported in at least 10% of patients and at least twice as often as with placebo) were constipation, dizziness, dry mouth, insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, nervousness, sexual side effects, sleepiness, sweating, and weakness. Just because some of your symptoms are not listed here does not mean that Effexor XR is not causing them. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about switching to a different medication. I have tried many of them and the one I had the most success with was Cymbalta, but everyone reacts differently to medication so its hard to say what will work for you. Please don't stop taking it without first consulting your doctor because Effexor XR usually causes withdrawl symptoms, so you need to be gradually weaned off of it. If switching to another medication doesn't alleviate your symptoms, be persistant. There is definately something causing you these problems. Good luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...