Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Can I Get Pregnant On the Depovera Shot? (Page 1)

ok..so i have been on the shot for six months now.its been AWESOME!the first time i got it..i had a very light period.possibly the best period ever.I have always had terrible ones.The main reason i got on was to get rid of the painful cramps.anyways..this is my 2nd time i had my shot.They told me it would increase my appetite and it has.just for certain things.all i have wanted was spinach pizza.nothing else.i really dont like spinach.anybody got some advice would be awesome.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
NOTHING AT ALL IS 100%.

ON any BC method you *can* still get pregnant, even STERILIZATION...

That is because nothing is 100% EVER...

You are most likely not pregnant though, because DEPO is 99%+ effective.
|

Especially eHealthy
like carifairy said the depo shot is 99% effective
your most likely not pregnant
infact I would say your not pregnant

the hormones from the shot could definately be makeing your body crave this piza thing ya got goin on. just because you crave or start to eat something does not mean your pregnant Smile

id say its from the shot
|

Extremely eHealthy
I was on the shot for 5 years and never got pregnant. Had no periods and it was great. BUt after the shot my body was really messed up. Its taken over 1 year to get back to normal. But my answer would be no you probably wont get pregnant.
|

Especially eHealthy
A year for recovery from Depo is very good.
|

replied December 19th, 2007
I knew a girl in high school who got pregnant while on the shot, but my doctor assured me that was rare. I, however, had such horrible cravings and couldn't get enough to eat that I gained 65 pounds in 3 to 4 months despite exercising 3 or 4 times a week. I think the cravings/appetite are a common side effect.
|

replied December 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Weight gain is a very common side effect of depo. I'm finishing up my first three months and haven't felt anything unusual myself so I consider myself lucky.
|

replied December 20th, 2007
I was on the shot for 4 years and I loved it. Though when it came time for the shot I was a bit moody. Ok, ALOT moody. After I go it I was fine. I understand about the cravings. All I wanted was junk food. It was bad. I gained weight but I needed it. I now weigh 124 and I only weighed 104 when I started.

I NEVER had a pregnancy scare on the shot.
I think you are fine.

I HATE THE PILL THOUGH!
|

replied January 2nd, 2008
Just Replying
thank u all for the advice. Very Happy it helps to know that im not the only one.i have wanted the most bizarre foods.more than anything..i been wantin veggies.so i guess its not that bad.and the only thing i could think of is it was the shot or that.
|

replied February 15th, 2008
side effects from Depo shot
I too was told that I could possibly gain weight from the shot.. and although its only been about 5 lbs, I feel like I can eat a horse! Which for me is unusual. I unfortunatly have pretty much had spotting or my period for the past two monts, although I have only had one shot so far. I do feel bloated pretty much all of the time, and I am still trying to deterine , that although it is very convient, are these side effects worth it. I don't like feeling like I have my period all the time. Maybe shot #2 will have a better effect.
|

Especially eHealthy
Average weight gain is around 15 lbs a year.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I have a question. So does your body think that you are pregnant on the depo shot? Is that why the side affects are cravings, tiredness, and weight gain? I was always under this assumption and come to think of it I have no idea where I got it....anyone????
|

Especially eHealthy
ALL hormonal birth control makes your body think it's pregnant. That's why you don't ovulate.
|

Extremely eHealthy
oh ok...makes sense....lol
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
i was on the depo shot for 1 year and actually got pregnant and dint know then found after like a week after i got a shot that i was.....i had amiscarriage due to getting the shot again while i was preg but i DID GET PREG WHILE ON THE DEPO SHOT
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
No, you got pregnant BEFORE you got on the shot, because a pregnancy test is not accurate until TWO WEEKS after fertilization - this means you absolutely MUST have gotten pregnant before the shot was injected, if only one week in you tested and realized you were pregnant.

It is possible that at the end of the 3 months, the protection had weakened enough to allow you to ovulate.

Considering how long it takes most women to return to a normal cycle after getting off of depo, it's very rare for cases like yours to occur.

No form of birth control is 100% except for a complete hysterectomy or abstinence.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
u might have read that wrong Confused ... i was on the shot for a year.......i got preg right before i had to get a new shot .....
i found out i was preg about a week after i had gotten my new shot....
so yes i did get preg while taking the shot and getting the shot AGAIN while preg caused me to ahve a miscarriage
|

replied April 14th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Do you know how far along you were by the time it was detected? I'm saying it's very likely that you got pregnant in the last week or two of the old shot, when it was weakening.

This is a very rare case - Depo is 98%+ effective.
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2008
yea it was in my last week and a half of the cycle that i got pregnant!!!
|

replied August 19th, 2008
codiw wrote:
yea it was in my last week and a half of the cycle that i got pregnant!!!

Did you have a period for during the time of your first shot?
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...