Hey Everyone. I just found out I'm hypoglycemic. however my doctor never told me if I have a severe or mild condition. He just told me to read a book with the diet changes. The book I read said hypoglycemia is determined if you glucose level goes below 40, but mine never did. These are my results:

Fasting 87
1 HR 165
2 HR 98
3 HR 61
4 HR 56

What do you think? Is it just a mild case? Cause I don't have time to exercise and I have IBS, so I can't eat whole wheat bread or peanuts. Too much vegatables and fruit upset my stomach. I'd rather not change my diet. I can't imagine even a day without eating cookies.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 14th, 2007
Symptoms
Sorry I didn't mentions my symptoms. I wake up from night sweats and feeling confused. I'm tired all day. If I skip a meal, I get a panic attack. My heart beats really fast, I can't breathe well, sweating, feel really hot, etc. These all go away about 15mins after I eat. oh and I'm ALWAYS hungry.
|

replied December 16th, 2007
I Can Relate With the Hunger
Hey your pattern seems similar to mine.

Fasting: 84
1 HR: 190
2 HR: 100
3 HR: 68

Hour 3 is my low point. Its too bad you don't have a 5th hour to see if it kept going lower. After hour 3 mine rebounds slowly.

The books all say that there is a wide variation among the population as to how low their blood sugar must drop before they start having symptoms. I only dropped into the 60s and started having symptoms. Also, the rate at which you drop is just as important. The books say you have 'relative hypoglycemia' if you drop more than 50 mg/dL in a given hour. We both drop faster than that from hour 1 to hour 2.

I am also constantly hungry. I have intense gnawing hunger even shortly after eating a meal. So you're not alone in that. I still can't figure out what causes that. I'll let you know if i have any luck getting that under control and how i did it.

I found Hypoglycemia For Dummies laid everything out pretty clearly.
|

replied December 16th, 2007
Thanx. I started feeling my symptoms about 15 mins before the 4th hour. So I guess it hits when I drop below 50. I wish I did the 6 hour test. I'm curious when my glucose redeems itself or does it keep dropping.

I read Hypoglycemia for dummies. It's a good read, but the diet contradicts my IBS. I can't eat whole wheat bread and vegetables and fruits upset my stomach as well, so i'm pretty much screwed. lol
|

replied December 17th, 2007
Diet
Wow that sucks. It seems like eating simple whole foods like fruit and vegetables would be the easiest on your stomach. What do you eat then? Just meat?

I wonder if its possible that the IBS originated from the hypoglycemia. Maybe once you get the blood sugar under control your IBS will subside. As you see in the books, the list of symptoms possibly associated with hypoglycemia is pretty long. Seems possible the two are related.

I know someone with IBS who greatly improved by regularly taking probiotics. Also have you looked into the possibility that your IBS is caused by specific foot allergies/intolerances?
|

Sorry
ummm yeah i meant FOOD ALLERGIES/INTOLERANCES and not foot. lol
|

I don't think hypglycemia caused my IBS because I had IBS wayyyyy before I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. I eat regular foods. I just avoid spicy foods, milk, whole wheat bread, large salads, romaine lettuce. So I pretty much can't eat most foods that are recommended for hypoglycemia.

I haven't looked into the possibility that my ibs if a food allergy. Thanx for the advice
|