About a month ago, when it started getting cold and when the heat was turned on, I started getting a sore throat and congestion. Two weeks after that I had a throat culture done and the doc said I had strep throat, so he put me on antibiotics, Zyrtec, and Mucinex. They helped my stuffy nose a bit but not my throat.

I've always been a bit stuffy when I was a kid, with indoor allergies, but I never got a runny nose or teary itchy eyes, just a stuffed up one and I always have to clear my throat.

Right now my nose is just a little bit stuffy, but my throat is sore. I take Zyrtec at night, Mucinex every 12 hours, two shots of Nasonex nasal spray at night, and saline nasal spray every once in a while. My throat feels only a bit irritated at home and on the weekends, but at school my throat and mouth feel very dry, I have headache, and a very sore throat. When I come home and drink some tea and put on the humidifier, it isn't as sore.

What is making my throat feel so sore? I'm not sure if it's something at school, if the drugs I'm taking are making it dry and irritable, or if it's post nasal drip. My docter said that my throat didn't look red, it looked fine, and that my nose was a bit inflammed. He said I should try the medications he gave me and go for a week on them, and come back if it still hurts. I had to drop choir at school because of my sore throat that isn't going away, and it's really irritating me. Sorry for the long post but can you please help me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you experiencing an increased thin clear or increased thick secretion? Do you get the sore throat with a parched feeling, especially in the mornings?
Yes, the warm tea with honey is a favorite home remedy for sore throat.
|

replied January 18th, 2008
Yes, I haven't been on any drugs for weeks, but my throat feels very dry and sore in the mornings and sometimes lasts into the afternoon, tea helps, but theres no tea at school...

I don't have alot of mucous secretions, and I can breathe fine.
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
For how long you are experiencing these symptoms?
Post-nasal drip often leads to a sore, irritated throat (mucus produced daily from nose and throat glands normally is swallowed unconsciously, but when you get the feeling that it is accumulating in the throat or dripping from the back of your nose is called post-nasal drip.)
This feeling is usually caused by excessive or thick secretions (increased thick secretions in the winter often result from too little moisture in heated buildings and homes and that's why you find humidifier helpful)
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....