Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Circumcision Side-effects (Page 1)

Hello. I'm 20 years old. Recently, I had sex for the first time. Unfortunately,during sexual intercourse, I had pain and eventually after a couple of minutes, I lost my erection. I visited a doctor and told me that I should have myself circumcised. The reason is that I have phimosis (not a tight one though) and a short tight frenulus.

Is there anyone who had circumcised himself in adult age, to tell me if he felt discomfort from the fact that the glans would be exposed all the time?
I'm scared about that, because i'm not used to have my glans exposed and rubbing in underwear or whatsoever, because the foreskin always covered the glans. And sometimes, when I retracted my foreskin, and touched the glans it didn't feel good, rather discomfort and annoying.

So, how am I going to get used to that, after the circumcision? Has anyone gone through this phase before? Or is it just me?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest75341
|

replied April 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Well, I am a girl, but since no one is answering you then I will at least reply.
Circumcisions are easier when you are a baby because you are too young to remember it. I imagine you will have to get used to the new "exposure" but it should not take too long. People have them everyday. But if it is going to help, then I would go for it. Most women prefer a circumcised penis anyway. So, you have two reasons to get it done. Just make sure you trust your doctor! Embarassed
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Men's Health
As a male who has had pains from being uninformed of the risks of the medical discrepancy after birth, I can tell you that

1 It's possible to stretch skin tissue until it creates new cells
2 Circumcision is a radical way to change phimosis
3 Doctors are not all-knowing, they only know what they are told
4 Most women in the US only know of broomstick penises, therefore, they will tell you they prefer it.
5 Make sure you write down pros and cons to this decision and sleep on it for a month before making the decision.
6 Try stretching whatever needs to be stretched with vit E cream, 1/2 hour each night for a month.
7 Whatever your decision, don't impose it on your youngling, as globalization continues at the rate it is, by the time they're 18, they may seriously dislike you for your decision that doesn't affect the parents.
8 Women in general, globally, prefer sexasnatureintendedit.com lovemaking
|

replied October 2nd, 2012
Why do most women prefer a circumcised penis? More satisfaying or what? God created a man with foreskin! What has become worng with it! Come on guys!!!!!!!!!1
|

replied May 28th, 2013
Sens me a picture of your boobs i'll pay 2000 us dollars
|

replied August 27th, 2004
I'm also a 20 y/o guy and I have the same problem.

I find foreplay with my girlfriend great, but when we have sex I immediately feel the foreskin being forced back in what is an extremely uncomfortable and sometimes even painful feeling, and since its very distracting I will often lose my erection pretty quickly.

This is really bothering me since it is causing these erection problems, so I am considering getting circumcised. I'd love to hear from anyone who's had it done later in life.
|

replied June 7th, 2012
I had a similar problem -
I had a very tight foreskin and had to be circumcised at the age of 16. At first the tip of the penis is sensitive, but after a little bit of time it gradually toughens up a bit and desensitizes.

If you are having any problems at all with regards to your penis before, during, or after sexual intercourse (or even just with yourself) seek further medical advice from your doctor. Sex should be fun, not agony!
|

replied August 31st, 2004
Same Problem....
I used to have that same problem where it causes discomfort, but that's why they made lube Cool
|

replied September 9th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I didn't hear anything about her not being wet enough.
Sometimes there is an underlying issue that needs to be taken care of. No matter how much lube you have, the foreskin could still be causing discomfort.
|

replied March 29th, 2005
Popsep, this is for you.

I am 32 now, and I got circumcised when I was 30.

When I would try and have sex, it was painful cos the foreskin didnt go back properly, and it would hurt each time I tried to insert. It was far more comfortable with a condom cos the foreskin doesnt move so much with a condom.
Enev when receiving oral sex, I would have to make sure that i'd have to hold the base of my penis so that her mouth wouldnt force the foreskin to go back and give me regrettable pain. That would have traumatize4d me every time i'd get a bj after that!!
So I tried the options, creams and stretching, and then finally decided on circumcision. I was really scared about it, and mostly cos I told no one I was going to get it done. And I was unmarried.
It was so painless, only discomfort for abt 3-4 days after but no sex of any kind for a month, not even solo sport.
Today I am much happier, it looks nicer, and in a way bigger, and best of all, I have no hesitation when a woman takes my penis in her hand or mouth, I let her do whatever she wants, and I can keep my hands away!
Hope this helped.
|

replied November 10th, 2011
Thanks for that info I am 49 and I had no problems with it and no complaints about my foreskin, it worked wonderfully, women even loved to nibble on it etc.. But last year I noticed a tightening, little by little, now I cant retract it back barley, and I was concerned about irritation to, because of it being as a protecter of the glan, when sometimes it would retract it would be annoying, being used to it for so long, but I miss sex and I have tried the creams and they don"t work, so I will be getting it done in about one month, thanks for your input. I will just have to get used to it, I miss the orgasms.
|

Adult circumcision
Thanks for that info I am 49 and I had no problems with it and no complaints about my foreskin, it worked wonderfully, women even loved to nibble on it etc.. But last year I noticed a tightening, little by little, now I cant retract it back barley, and I was concerned about irritation to, because of it being as a protecter of the glan, when sometimes it would retract it would be annoying, being used to it for so long, but I miss sex and I have tried the creams and they don"t work, so I will be getting it done in about one month, thanks for your input. I will just have to get used to it, I miss the orgasms.
|

|

replied December 31st, 2011
recent experience
I am 33 years old and today is day 3. 1st day I didn't really feel much cause of novocain still in my system. Day 2 erection hurts really bad (because of stitches getting expanded. Day 3 I noticed a whatever skin left swelling just above the stitches on the left side ( today been really painful) lets see what happens next.
|

replied March 29th, 2005
Let me just add something... When I had foreskin, the glans of my penis was really, really sensitive, cos they hardly were exposed due to the foreskin.

Then the glans kept rubbing against everything I would wear after I got circumcised, and that was uncomfortable for some time. But now I am used to it, and have no problem.

The best thing to wear after a circumcision, in my opinion, is y-fronts so that yr penis doesnt move around so much but stays in one place. After a while you can wear boxers.
|

replied April 29th, 2005
I have also been told I have to have a circumcision, but for me it hasn't stopped me having sex, its never been a pain for me to do so....Its literally because I have the same as the lad above in the fact I have phimosis...To me reading this thread has made me feel soooo much better about it.

Bit worried about the getting used to the outside air bit, but I suppose that will come with time...I'd prefer the little man to be free of infetion too, I recently had thrush and to get rid of it was a nightmare without being able to pull my fore skin back.

The main worry for me is the sensation loss, I saw in another piece of research the main sensation loss wasn't in erect form but when you touch it before its erect and you get the tingly feeling, that goes apparently...

Any more views either replied to here or emailed to me would be really helpful...Cheers
|

replied November 13th, 2005
Talk to your doctor you can get a steroid cream called diprosone that aids in stretching it. Since it's your first time you have had sex and your foreskin probably has not retracted that much give it some time and try stretching it.

The glands are very sensitive when they are first exposed but in time it becomes less sensitive with washing and exposing them. I am uncircumised and have throught about getting it done I have always wondered how different it would feel. But I like my foreskin and have great sex. So if it's not broke! I have always wash under it and have not had any problems with infections. If you get circumcised without exploring other alternatives you may regret it.
|

replied December 17th, 2005
So wat about 14 year old do they get circumcised
cuz im 14
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Dude, if you're not genitally altered, think about it for another 4 years, day and night. Globally the US is an anomaly. This decision can always be done, but never undone.
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Dude, if you're not genitally altered, think about it for another 4 years, day and night. Globally the US is an anomaly. This decision can always be done, but never undone.
|

replied December 17th, 2005
Well im a hypersensative.. Its f***ing painful jus to pull it back.. And I have to say sex is painful too.. I think I shuld get it circumcized.. But im scared to death...
|

replied January 16th, 2006
R U Afraid?
Hei guys ur all boys right? How come u waited for long years before u done that? Well im really want to tell u that here in the philippines guys like me get circumcised even before we step to highschool....And im proud of it!!
|

replied January 16th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
It's more common to be done at birth in some places than others. Religion and parent's beliefs also play a role.
|

replied October 7th, 2007
I know this topic is a bit old now, but I would like to address some of the concerns made by the individuals here.

I am 21 years old, and like some here, I had Phimosis which led to discomfort during sex, but fortunately for me, not during masturbation or oral sex. I found that plenty of lube also did the trick, but it was annoying the hell out of me that I couldn't just be spontaneous with sex, and I would probably have to carry around lube with me if ever the moment arose. So, I decided to have a circumcision. I write this just 5 days after having one, and I am experiencing some of the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, I also have to point out that the procedure itself isn't as painless as some have mentioned. I look forward to the day I can get my penis back in working order but it won't be for another 3 weeks or so.

One more thing, my penis is bigger than it has ever been, due to swelling of course, this is causing most of the discomfort, and I would seriously advise buying some Y-fronts, pants, briefs, whatever you call them, they make life so much easier afterward.

I will say however, make sure you are 100% certain that you need this operation, it is not as straight forward as people would have you believe, but I have only heard good things about the end result, I am really looking forward to that. Remember, this is the point of view of a guy suffering the pain, so in a month I may look back and laugh Razz
|

replied October 7th, 2007
I forgot to mention the biggest problem. Controlling your erection! I have woken up so many times with my semi erect penis tugging away at the stitches, it shouldn't be so bad in a week or so but expect many long nights and a fair amount of blood, and whatever you do, don't get a fully erect penis because you run serious risk of rupture, not something I would personally want to experience.
|

replied October 14th, 2007
Experienced User
Yeah be carefull moving when you have an erect penis in the mornings, Just stay still and let it go down lol. In about 2 weeks erection won't hurt.
|

replied August 17th, 2008
same problem here.
yeah im currently having the same problem right now. Recently had sexual intercourse and the foreskin wouldnt retract back due to the penis swelling.
Spent 4 hours in hospital emergency room. After some time with an ice pack, doc manually pushed the head of the penis back in - thus restracting the foreskin back. Now with no form of aneasthetic, the pain was akin to pushing meat through a keyhole. since then its been hard to get an erection due to the memories. What i have is paraphimosis and was advised to undergo circumcision.
Not a big fan of any form of surgery unless its life saving but given the probability this will happen again i think i will need it.
my main concern (same with those previously posted) - time it takes for the exposed head to develop a keritine cover and desensitize itself to friction.
Does anyone have an opinion of Perputial Plasty as an alternative? Its making a slit of the opening which widens the foreskin ring allowing it to retract. thus keeping the shealth function. i'd prefer that but dont want to end up going back for a circumcision if it doesnt work.
Also does a tighter fititng condom and lube really help???

thanks for the feedback and experience. it really helps. i'll be sure to do the same.
|

replied August 25th, 2008
Please do research before making such a drastic descision,the guy's I know that had it done as an adult all say it was the biggest mistake of there life!
|

replied January 6th, 2009
How Long?
I know this is a bit out of the blue, but i was just wondering, on average, how long it is after the operation that you have sex? Coz, since ive had it done, i just havnt felt like it (which im worried might be affecting my relationship)any suggestions as to why? Can anyone help?
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Hey bro u have to take a month and a half before u go back to ur sex life. best tal it with ur gal n tell her. dont have sex before healing coz the wounds will open again and ur penis may begin to be septic.
|

replied January 6th, 2009
Before anyone rushes into this please look into the steroid cream!
From what Ive read it works wonders and has prevented many guys from having to go through with circumcision!
If you decide to go through with it pretty much every guy I have read/talked to say it was the biggest mistake they ever made.
To start it is very painful,thousands of nerve endings lost that cant ever be recovered with restoration ect..
One man said it was like sex was in color before and after it's in black and white :0(
I myself would never agree to circumcision when there is a painless simple alternative!
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Okay, everyone write down the pro's and con's and think about what circumcision would mean to you in your situation, only you, not your significant other, not your child. Don't live a child's life for them. Minus the social pressures and the circumcision scares. Add time into your decision, think about it, and this is your decision! Be content with it for the rest of your life. If a genital alteration is too drastic, take less drastic means in the meantime.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Don't do it. Listen to experience
I would agree with this as i get older I get more bitter about my circumcision. I was 3 when my parents decided to get me done. 14 years of a bald bell end Rubbing against everything left it without any sensation at all. Needless to say I was not really aware of this until I got my first blow job. What a disappointment, but not nearly as disappointing as losing my virginity. I may as well have been using some one else's penis as mine felt nothing. Due to my realisation and anger at that point I lost my erection and that is the way it has been my whole life. I am 36 now and unmarried as I have no interest whatsoever in sex as to me it is pointless exercise I cannot complete. Every girlfriend I have had thinks it is an excuse that I don't want to make love and leaves. All because someone else thought it would be good for me. Thanks a million.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....