Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Thinking About Labor... (Page 1)

And the insane feelings that come along with it.
I'm going to labor drug free again, but I'm concerned about laboring in a different hospital.

I never took a tour of the hospital that I had Oni in, and I want to do it with this one.

I'm VERY interested in having a water birth, but I don't know if this hospital offers labor tubs.
I wouldn't mind a home birth, if it came down to it...but I don't know how Baron would handle it.

I plan on not leaving the house until I cannot speak through a contraction(like I did with Oni)...but if labor TRUELY goes faster the 2nd time, I don't think I'll be able to do that.

Speaking of Baron, he's going to be working a "turn around" all of January into Feburary. Which is: he works 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. He'll be able to take off a week, maybe less. But after that I'll be going it ALL alone. WIth Oni & a newbie.
I don't want people watching Oni for me(except for the days I'm in the hospital) and I don't want people in my house while I'm adjusting. I didn't have anyone(but Baron) help me with Oni, and that's how I liked it.

I never sat down and thought about the labor/birth until a couple of days ago. When I realized I have 7 weeks or less to prepare mentally/physically/emotionally/house wise...EVERYTHING!! LOL!

Has anyone that's preggy with number 2, thought about this?

What did people with 2 or more kids do with their oldest AFTER coming home from the hospital??

Sarah
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Since I don't have any kids myself, I can't give advice on that matter. But, I WAS in the room when one of my sisters had a water birth. I was the quickest, quietest (NO screaming at all), and most beautiful births I've ever experienced. Hope that helps a little. Wink
|

Especially eHealthy
Ahh, you get less sleep than you did the first time around. Most people that I know, just integrate the new baby into the family - the mom's time suffers the most, I think.

How long were you in the hospital the first time? I was only in the hospital 1 day You can, actually leave the hospital sooner if everything is fine. You'd just have to discuss this with your doctor. A woman who gave birth earlier in the day I did, went home that evening. Her kid was HUGE too. We have pictures of my skinny little wee infant next to her MASSIVE kid that was nearly too big for the bassinet at the hospital - and they look like they are a year apart in age instead of mere hours.

A home birth would be excellent! But would you do it unassisted? I don't know that I would be that brave. I'd want a midwife there.
|

Especially eHealthy
I wanted a water birth with Oni, but they didn't offer it. So I had to settle for a 10 min shower...mreh.

I'll bring in my own baby pool if I have too!!!

Am I crazy??

Sarah
|

User Profile
babymajic0506 wrote:
I wanted a water birth with Oni, but they didn't offer it. So I had to settle for a 10 min shower...mreh.

I'll bring in my own baby pool if I have too!!!

Am I crazy??

Sarah

My sister did it in a kiddie pool in her bedroom. With , of course, a mid wife and doula. I got to film it.
|

Especially eHealthy
moldedbymercy88 wrote:

My sister did it in a kiddie pool in her bedroom. With , of course, a mid wife and doula. I got to film it.

See, I'd be all for that. Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
I would prob do it unassisted...if necessary. I don't have a midwife, I have an OB.
But i would DEF call an ambulance to be safe!

I think I would actually WANT to stay in the hospital for a couple of days! LOL!! Just to relax and bond with bebe before jumping into home life again!!! LOL!!! is that wrong of me?

I'm going to set up a tour of the hospital at my next appt (which is on new years eve), to see if they'd allow me to bring in my own pool to labor in.

My hubby would be FREAKED out if I had her at home...but I'd rather at home than in the car!!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
lol! i watched a special on water births. they look like they actually work. at least everyone in the special seemed more comfortable once they got into the tub....
|

Especially eHealthy
Be wary. Some hospitals/insurance plans do not allow more than a 1 night stay in the hospital.

I don't think the hospital will allow you to bring your own pool... I'll bet it would have something to do with liability and legalities.

You shouldn't need to wait until your appointment at the end of the month. You can call the hospital. I'll bet they have packets of literature on what their hospital offers for a birthing suite/environment.
|

Especially eHealthy
If medicaid has any say in it, I think it'll be 2 nights. But on the 2nd night I was SOOOO ready to get outta there!!!!

I'm in no rush to see the hospital really. I just wanna know if they offer tubs.

I'll be sure to ask them about me bringing my own pool though...with Oni, all I got to do was spray the wayter from a shower head on my crotch for 10 mins...LOL!!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
you're a nut! lol!
|

Extremely eHealthy
I was lucky...they had a tub with jets at my hospital. I went in it before my epi to try to replax and it didnt effin work..I was a terrible woman in labour!! I was snapping at everyone, i hated when they spoke and i told my dr. to shut up! lol
|

Especially eHealthy
LOL K!

Nancy, I'll jump for joy if my hospital has a tub like that!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah it's a really good hospital. It's only 20 yrs old and everyone knows thats a pretty new hospital. I ended up having a private room for free!!! All to myself. I can undersatnd 100% why you would want to stay a few days to bond and relax!!
|

User Profile
I should probably also mention it was my sister's 3rd child. It was so neat because the older two got to watch their sister come into this world. Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
my hospital had a wonderful tub aswell. i wish i'd had a water birth. i had the option as it was in my room. but i got the privelege of using it after i had william, before they wheeled me into the ward
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I would love to have a home birth, I've actually contemplated going into labor when no one was home. call ambulance, hope the hell they can find my house, unlock the door, get in the bathtub and be holding the baby in my arms when the paramedics come through the door. But of course, that's a little extreme, but it would be awesome if my little hospital had a tub Very Happy
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Laughing

You girls...

Laughing

I reaallly love warm baths. Okay, pretty freaking hot baths. That are reaaallly full. They are my all time favorite thing! I bet that would be really nice to be able to have while going through labor! I know when I'm feeling really sick if I take a warm (*cough* steaming hot *cough) bath when I'm feeling sick or nauseous I feel 100% better.

Let us know if the hospital has a tub, Sarah. Please don't ask if you can bring in your own kiddie pool Laughing You ARE a nut.
|

Especially eHealthy
just the thought of an unassisted home birth scares the crap out of me.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Meee too. I just went and told my husband about that and he's like WHAT?! That lady must be crazy!

Laughing
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...