Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Si Joint Dysfunction? Piriformis Syndrome?

Hi, my name is Bryan I'am a 21 year old male.
I was lifting heavy weights for about a year with no problems...had a sore back here and there.

It's hard to remember when it started, I believe it started when I slipped while playing frisbee. I land right on my wallet which was in my right back pocket.

The pain is very random. Sometimes it will be a dull ache right where the SI joint is. Or a sharp pain just behind my femur.

Some days I have to limp cause of the pain others I don't notice it but gets easily aggravated. It hurts to twist my upper body to the left but not the right. It hurts my hip to sneeze. And it hurts the most to lay on my back and relax all my muscles. It use to hurt the most getting in and out of my car but it doesn't bother me at all anymore too do that.

I saw a chiropractor for 2 months and was told that I have piriformis syndrome, and was given a list of stretches to do and to come back next week.
It was the same thing over and over again and I think the stretching just made things worse.

So I saw my family doctor I told him what the chiropractor thought and he agreed without even examining me. He referred me to a physiotherapist. And tried too sell me some sleeping pills for some reason.

The physiotherapist thinks i have "Sacroiliac joint dysfunction"
He told me to strength my core, ice it and take anti-inflammatory pills.

Month of doing that and I haven't seen any improvement or been given a clear diagnosis.

Sorry for the long whining post. It kinda sounds like a riddle.
But that's how I feel and I think I have been pushed in the wrong direction.

Can someone please help me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 18th, 2007
Supporter
Didn't the doctors consider a "slipped disc", dislocation of the intervertebral disc? Go see an orthopedic surgeon, or at least have an xray done. Bone fractures, hip disclocations are also common conditions that happen after a fall. Pain is the usual outcome if left untreated.
|

replied November 12th, 2010
SI Joint Dysfunction
Hi Bryan,
SI Joint Dysfunction is still hard to diagnose and treat. I've been dealing with it for about 15 years. It's a pain in the butt. Since I started using a SI Support Belt I've been able to omit chiropractic treatment and daily anti-inflamitory and muscle relaxers. I don't have to use it all the time but am learning to use it as a preventative if I'm going to do much walking and such. I understand your frustration. You will have to be very proactive in your treatment. Don't give up. You'd think this would be easier to diagnose and treat by now. Perhaps soon.
Mary
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....