Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Shaking During Sleep Plz Help (Page 1)

Hi
i hope someone can help me out on this...
This has happened twice in two weeks...
I am sleeping and having a bad bad nightmare and suddenly my head starts shaking uncontrollably real bad (approx 40 sec) its like when saying no but very fast. Im aware of this but I can't seem to wake up. Then when I finally wake up my heart's punding very fast and it stays that way for like 10 minutes. I'm worried because some time ago I experienced having sleep paralysis, it was so weird I swear I could see myself sleeping and some other messed up things. Does anybody know about that issue (shaking head) :s my family even thinks i'm crazy. Who can help me out, I mean like a doctor? A psychologist?
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ralphwiggum2119
|

replied November 23rd, 2004
Hey, I think I have the exact same thing. Very weird..
|

replied November 29th, 2004
Hey. I think I have the same thing. It is very weird and i've been wondering about it for a while. For me, I seem to be able to go from dream to dream very conciously while my head is "shaking". I also don't really think it's shaking, it's more like in the dream it shakes really bad. I've been having this for about a year now and it has become much more frequent. Especially when taking naps during the day. How old are you if you don't mind me asking. I'm 18 and would definaltly like to talk to anyone with this same thing.
|

I'm 24. Only had it start happening about 6 months ago after some sort of reaction to mixing medication.

Check this link out though -
http://www.Ninds.Nih.Gov/disorders/myoclon us/detail_myoclonus.Htm
|

Hi
well, finally a reply
its good to know im not crazy lol jk. Im 17. Lately, I haven't experienced them but still I am concerned. What I have been getting are those episodes where I can't wake up but I can still see and hear everything around me (except that I can't move or speak) theyre kinda frustrating. I also checked out that webpage and i'm definitely doing more research on that, thnx.

Hey, both of u, do u have msn messenger? So that way we can im each other?
|

Hey, I left you a private message with my sn in it. Feel free to im me any time. And darksky, I don't really think the shaking experience is actually happening, at first it seemed like that to me, but reading your other posts I think what 11 girl and I have something different...Maybe not but thats what it seems like. I also have those experience where I feel I can't move, its all a very strange thing. Hope to hear from you guys soon.
|

Ralphwiggum2119
hi
yeah I emailed u a while ago... I dont have aim, that's why
|

Hey 11_girl_11
Also I found this post that seems similar to what i'm feeling except that now I am no longer scared and seem to be concious of what is happening and don't get the fear and faster pulse as I did when it started.I was curious about a number of strange experiences
that I experienced while I was in half-sleep state.

It is always the same, and it happened to me a few times and it is not very frequent.

Last time it happened it was in the middle of the night..
I was dreaming (don't remember what), and suddenly my heart starts pounding, and I start experiencing intense fear,
and my ear-drums start shaking creating a strange very low frequency effect.
Both the hear beats, the buzz in the ears and the fear
are getting stronger and stronger until I wake up rapidly as if I had a nightmare.

The strange thing is that the fear I experience is not caused by anything I dreamed or anything that I can think of, it is just as if my body starts producing hormones that cause fear for no reason.

The whole thing lasts for about few seconds.

And it is never a result of a bad dream or anything.
I'll describe one incident here:

i remember that one time I was dreaming that I was on my knees and I was lowering my head slowly to the ground as if I am falling to sleep. As my head was closer to the ground
the more my heart was beating, and the panic and fear grew, and the buzz in the ears was stronger.
One time it happened while I was falling to sleep (on the limit of being in the sleep state) and was not dreaming anything. That time I was sort of trapped in this ear buzz state and was trying to wake up but it was like a seizure.

The buzz in the ears, is more a shaky feeling than an actual sound, it is as if someone puts a finger in my ears and starts shaking fast. The feeling is not compleatly negative, it almost feels like scratching when you heave an ich (i hope this is the right word, my english is not very good)

but the whole experience is very negative, and the feelings
of panic and fear are very intense.
Sometimes when it happens in the middle of the night it leaves me very uncofortable even after it happened and I am awake.
|

replied April 30th, 2011
I have the same thing, it's horrible Sad
|

replied November 30th, 2004
You may be right, I don't seem to have any of those symptoms ralph. No scary feelings or loud buzzing noise. Just kinda jerking in my sleep like i'm having a bad dream or a seizure or something (but its not a seizure). Its not restless leg syndrome because its not my legs that jerk... I should video tape myself at night to see. I'll have to create a yahoo name or aol name when I get home. The sys admin won't allow us to put it on work computers Wink

btw, i've only ever felt like I couldn't move but was totally aware once - I was about 19. I must have been halfway asleep but aware of my surroundings. It was intense! At first, had all these exciting scary feelings and I heard a girl call my name and I think I saw some light but I couldn't move at all. I just sat there in bed. Weird..
|

replied April 25th, 2006
Same Thing Happens to Me!
Does anybody have an answer? I'm worried that they may be seizures? I'd been googling for a while and some sites even say it could be anxiety or ptsd?!
|

replied May 11th, 2006
Well,

sleep control is a common thing, many times I know I am in a dream and try to do stuffs like flying etc. There are times when I know I am in a bad dream and the most common thing I do is shake my head hard in order to try to wake up.

Dun worry, I dun think it should be anything bad. I kinda enjoy it at times. But it can be quite scary at times knowing that you are in a bad dream.
|

replied July 30th, 2006
Uncontrolable Head Shaking
Hi im having a very random and frightning problem. Sometimes when I go to sleep I wake up in the night to my head is shaking back and forth as if im trying to say no. It does it for up to a minute or so after I waken up and I cant stop it unless I try really hard to relax. If I try to stop it sometimes it does it more. It happened last night and ive been feeling dizzy all day. I have been drinking plenty of water and trying to eat well to see if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions? :?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Have you spoke to the dr about this?
|

replied July 30th, 2006
Wow, so it is true that you can like be awake and aware of your dreams. I saw this site and was really wondering if it was real. Maybe if you can really learn how to control your dreams the head shaking will stop and you won't be worried.
cool
|

replied July 30th, 2006
I went to the doctor and he said its some type of sezier or somthing and he sugested I get an mri done. I had an mri and there wasnt anything wrong with me there. Its very crazy because im 23 and im healthy. :?
|

replied August 1st, 2006
Its Over (for Now)
It left as quick as it came. Last night I didnt have any problems with my head doing the shaking thing. Hopefully it stays normal now. Possible causes for it seemed to have been dehyration, lack of a certein element or solution, or it may be related to me leaving the bathroom light on and trying to be nice and cozy. :lol:
|

replied August 13th, 2006
I have a very similar problem. I have very bad sleep paralysis (up to 8 times a month) and sleep apnea. I usually start shaking uncontrollably (not just my head but my entire body) and wake up instantly. The problem is that this is exactly like sleep paralysis for me. I am awake but I am spasmating uncontrollably unable to stop shaking and then it just goes away after a few seconds. This also occurs while I am trying to go to sleep. Of all of this the strangest thing is the dreams that I have before it happens. It is just like a normal dream and then something very strange happens. Last time it was that somebody that I was talking to just moved from where he was to the other side of the room instantly. Then my heart starts beating so fast that it hurts and I wake up shaking uncontrollably. I have spent hours of researching sleep paralysis and found absolutely nothing on uncontrollably shaking and I am just as stumped as you are.
|

replied September 16th, 2006
joshua_s3521 wrote:
i have a very similar problem. I have very bad sleep paralysis (up to 8 times a month) and sleep apnea. I usually start shaking uncontrollably (not just my head but my entire body) and wake up instantly. The problem is that this is exactly like sleep paralysis for me. I am awake but I am spasmating uncontrollably unable to stop shaking and then it just goes away after a few seconds. This also occurs while I am trying to go to sleep. Of all of this the strangest thing is the dreams that I have before it happens. It is just like a normal dream and then something very strange happens. Last time it was that somebody that I was talking to just moved from where he was to the other side of the room instantly. Then my heart starts beating so fast that it hurts and I wake up shaking uncontrollably. I have spent hours of researching sleep paralysis and found absolutely nothing on uncontrollably shaking and I am just as stumped as you are.

i've had the same problem joshua! I'm only 17 and it just started recently, happening quite often really. Just like joshua said i'll be having a normal dream everythings ok, then I turn around and see a shadow, to me its the shadow of the devil, and I can feel my heartbeat go up rapidly, and my body shaking nonstop, then all the sudden I wake up.. I told my mom about this and she said its because im not going to church.. Which is probably true. So i'm going to start going agian and see what happens. It started happening recently. Maybe because of the change of my sleep patterns, because when it started it was the night I went to bad at like 9:30 because I worked out and was extremetly exhausted. Usually I go to bed at 12:30-2:30 on school nights and wake up at 7:30.. So that could be the problem thats probably why I had it agian the next day, because I went to bed at like 2:30 and had the episode approx 4 hours into the sleep. Really not sure what it is, I just try to deal with it, but lately I havent been getting any sleep, and its really bothering me.. Seeing the devil in my sleep is very disturbing, after I wake up i'm terrified by my surrondings, and had to get my mom to fall asleep with me.. Very horrible experience
|

replied March 12th, 2007
Same Problem
Wow Im the first replier from 2007

I have the same problem, when I go to sleep on the first minutes I get this really bad dream, I mean, I dont remember seeing nothing but there is a very bad buzz sound in my head and my head shakes like a blender, it fells like somebody is holding my head and pressing on it from both sides. Wierd enough is that I know when its happening that I am at sleep. It's like being waken and a sleep at the same time. Then I wake up right way. If I try to sleep after that I happens again and again.... somebody help me pls....

I dont know what to do.

My name : Raphael Basoni
Citizenships: Brazilian/American
Current Location: Florida USA

Im having this problem for months now

HELLLLPPPPPPPPPPP
|

replied June 6th, 2007
Me 2
this just happend to me today (june 6th) i was having like a half awake dream then suddenly my whole body kinda shakes, including my head and i cant even move nor say nething this happend for about a minute, then i tried to open my eyes but when i did i say something cant really explain. then it suddenly stopped i was fully awake. Then i was feeling a lil tired stil but if i had gone to sleep again it wouldve happend again this is very akward first time it happend to me.
|
Quick Reply