Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Son Diagnosed With Mono, But Has Trouble Falling Asleep!

My son has had difficulty with falling to sleep at a normal hour for about a year now. When we are heading to bed around 11pm, his body isn't ready to sleep until 1 am or 2am. I believe he has delayed sleep phase syndrome. Once he is asleep, he sleeps straight through.

About a month ago, it became much more difficult awakening him in the morning and he slept 15 hours straight, so I brought him to the doctor. He was diagnosed with mono, along with the doctor feeling he has a sleep disorder. He has an appt. on 1/17/08 for the sleep disorder consultation piece - but, right now we are trying to deal with the mono piece.

My son is trying to deal with the mono, but, no matter how tired he is, he just can't fall asleep. He needs to sleep, but can't. We have tried dimming lights, Tylenol Simply Sleep, burning lavendar, sleepytime tea, etc....but, nothing really seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice they can share? The 1/17/08 appt. is so far away!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Does he feel irritable, disoriented, lethargic, and like he hasn't benefited from his lengthy sleep or he doesn't feel sleepy again until his next "night"?
Is he falling asleep at about the same time every "night", no matter what time he goes to bed?
Does he feel most alert and function best and is most creative in the evening and at night?
|

replied December 12th, 2007
When he is up, he is not irritable or disoriented, but is tired. He is able to function - but, looks exhausted.

Yes, he is falling asleep around the same time each night - regardless of what time he tries to go to bed. He'll lay down at a "normal" bedtime, but then ends up getting up because he can't fall asleep.

Yes, he is most alert and functioning at his best at night.
|

replied June 15th, 2008
Me too
I also have mono and that same sleeping problem. My mother cant tolerate any sickness that can not be proven so it is really hard for her to understand that I cannot help it. I finally got my mom to get me into a sleep clinik but she keeps on putting off that date because she says it is not important. I am always tired inwardly moody and not working at what I know I could do. Some days are better but the amount of sleep I have does not seem to matter that much unless I don't sleep at all. I also do lots of sports at every season for 2-6hr a day never less. I have had mono for 3months now and keep on feeling better than worse again. I feel better now. And I hope I am over it. But it is summer and i have a hard time sitting still and not moving. I rarely get sick and when I do I usually just sleep the day or two then push through the rest of it. Is it normal in mono for the tiredness to eb and flow? And what should I do about my normal sleeplessness?
|

replied August 14th, 2008
This may not help but 1 of my kids had trouble falling asleep if she was alone, its probley not the same thing but i used to sit next to her and sort of cradel her if you like. it helped alot but i usaly got no sleep.
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...