Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

What's In An Avatar? Look a Non-religious Thread! (Page 1)

User Profile
What's in an avatar? With the invention of forums, web groups, etc the avatar has become an important player in the world of online communication. What does an avatar mean to you? Do you change your avatar based on mood, events, accomplishments? what does your current avatar mean to you?

Here's mine. It's Emily The Strange. This is my second favorite comic after Lenore. She's a dark sort of girl. Misunderstood and full of sometimes frightening ambitions. The particualr image I chose is one where she has developed an ingenious and controversial idea. That is how I feel most of the ime. Strange, out of the ordinary, misunderstood, and frighteningly brilliant (ha ha ha) I don't change my avatar because I want people to be sure of who I am when I am posting. She's my secret identity-my alter ego. Who I would be if I were a cartoon. And 12 years old.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I have always looked at your avatar and thought someone was shining a light in her eyes. Or that she was just in a really dark room and opened the door into a really really bright one!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I always thought sillyakchick avatar was a girl saying "don't mess with me" kinda attitude.. Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
I assumed she was being protective of herself .
|

Extremely eHealthy
Emma2 wrote:
I assumed she was being protective of herself .

I always thought that too, that she was cowering from something or someone.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
you guys probably know me better than I know myself!

What about your take on the oh-so-important avatar?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
meblonde01 wrote:
I always thought sillyakchick avatar was a girl saying "don't mess with me" kinda attitude.. Smile

Me, too! I saw a "Oh no you didn't!"
|

User Profile
Experienced User
For some reason I thought sillychicks avatar was doing a weird dance, and it sort of caught her in the middle of it. lol
I just added myself an avatar, cz I figured out how to do it lol. None of my pics would fit, but it's sorted.

Mine has a crayon Very Happy
|

Especially eHealthy
Avatars are indeed interesting; almost as much as usernames. I know I have a terrible time choosing usernames because I can't change them. I like names but I can never find one that truly suits me.

As for avatars, well those are easy to change. I like using ones that represent me (spiritually, ethically, or literally) and - preferably - were MADE by me. I'm a bit stuck up, it comes from being an artist I guess. Why would I use an avatar made by someone else when I can just make my own and then gloat about it?
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2007
Mine is sushi. I thought it was clever. And I love sushi.
|

Especially eHealthy
I knew the roll was sushi.. is the blob some wasabi? You need some soy sauce in there!!

^--- Sushi fan
|

Extremely eHealthy
I change mine depending on my mood. I didn't change mine for a long time but then I changed my username to my actual name (near enough) and felt it was clear who I was so I could have a little more freedom.

Right now it's the black rabbit of Inle from 'Watership Down' because I've been feeling very spiritual and melancholy.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I change mine depending on my mood to. But I try to find ones that pertain to things I like.. Not what I think others will.. I think I will go find an different one right now. Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
I don't change mine because i don't give a hoot...And i'm extremly lazy ... oh well i guess i'm not artistic
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Emma2 wrote:
I don't change mine because i don't give a hoot...And i'm extremly lazy ... oh well i guess i'm not artistic

If I had a sweet little boy cutie picture like you. I would not change it either..
|

Extremely eHealthy
lol, and that too!!
|

replied December 29th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
my avatar is about baby corn....
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
In general I like my avatars to reflect something about my personality or my views. I am a very assertive person with little patience for nonsense; I started using my current avatar when someone decided they knew my mind better then I did.
|

Especially eHealthy
I think it's almost time to change mine again... though I'm still loving how obnoxious the colors are XD They're complimentary colors. It's appealing to my artistic side.
|

Re: sillyachick, I did recognize your avatar as being Emily - I pcik things up visually when I go to Hot Topic Smile. I wasn't sure what she was doing, though - it looks to me like she's reaching out toward the viewers.

My avatars usually just reflect whatever random thoughts are going through my head. My current one was the result of me just toying around in Illustrator and I eventually stuck a caption to it. That, and the mods got all whiney over my 'failed abortion' avatar because it might offend [stupid] people, so I had to fight the man and make a morbid avatar that would not offend people as much as someone with a coat hanger through their head. And voila - I got my bloody homicidal samurai.
|
Quick Reply