Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Constipated? Gas?! (Page 1)

ok so for the past few days kristen has been haveing gas horribly. she will pass gas alot and sometimes she gets a pinful look on her face and tilts to the side. i can tell its hurting her Crying or Very sad

and shes also seemed quite constipated? shes haveing little hard...like balls of poop? i dont know how to describe it but when she poops she makes the same mad hurting face and starts to fuss. is it constipation and gas does it sound like?

shes on similac advanced with iron. im thinking maybe the added iron is causing this to happen? im ging to talk to her PED about it on thursday but for now what should i do? is there anything i can do for it?

i think we need to switch formulas... Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
It is the iron. Give her Mylicon drops for the gas.

Boobie babies don't get constipated. They do get horrible, awful, screaming gas pains though.

You can rub her little tummy and massage the poo down.
|

Especially eHealthy
Ingi wrote:
It is the iron. Give her Mylicon drops for the gas.

Boobie babies don't get constipated. They do get horrible, awful, screaming gas pains though.

You can rub her little tummy and massage the poo down.

thanks ingi! i knew it was the iron LOL i was reading her formula can today and it said with iron
yep we need to switch
|

Especially eHealthy
Did the doctor advise you to use the iron formula?
|

Especially eHealthy
yeah infact they gave us a can of it at her first appt
the same kind the hospital had her on and everything
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Aww poor Kristen Sad Kaylee was the opposite with the iron (She was on Similac Advance w. Iron too to start out with), it gave her awful diareah (sp) & made her butt completely raw.
|

Especially eHealthy
OctoberBaby06 wrote:
Aww poor Kristen Sad Kaylee was the opposite with the iron (She was on Similac Advance w. Iron too to start out with), it gave her awful diareah (sp) & made her butt completely raw.

i dont wanna see my baby hurting
its hard
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yes iron even makes me constipated! lol william had trouble with constipation when he was a newborn. but it changed from one extreme to the other. after the constipation he had severe diarhhoa for months. hope kristen feels better
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
yeah jordyne had that same problem with the similac with the added ironbut it didnt last long for me anyways, but that was when i was breastfeeding and suplementing with the formula, when she was completely on formula she was fine.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Aww poor Kristen, I was advised to give Paige about 2 ounces of cool boiled water with 2 squirts of fresh orange in, litterally pierce a fresh orange and squirt a bit in her bottle. It really helped!
|

Especially eHealthy
Lauren_Jay15 wrote:
Aww poor Kristen, I was advised to give Paige about 2 ounces of cool boiled water with 2 squirts of fresh orange in, litterally pierce a fresh orange and squirt a bit in her bottle. It really helped!

really? im going to definately ask my PED about it! i just want her to stop hurting
theres a few times when she just gets this piercing squeel and this hurt face. its killing me to see her like that

shes got lots of gas i know because she always passes gas expecially after eating
Sad
i know they have similac sesitive formula
we will probably switch to that
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
if her cord stump has fallen off try letting her soak in the tub, it works well for val, she gets constipated all the time but i think its from the rice ceriel (i cant take her off it though cause its the only thing keeping her reflux manageable

good luck, it really is horrible to see your helpless little baby in pain and not be able to do anything about it

~alicia~
|

replied December 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Be careful of giving her water. A lot of peds discourage it. Mylicon is great stuff.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Both my kids got constipated from the iron fortified formulas. Really a baby doesn't need extra iron until about 3 or 4 months of age because they have enough stored from their mom to last them for a while. They reason that doctors tell you to put them on it from the start is because many parents forget to make the switch back to the iron fortified.

I found that once I switched to the regular formula both my kids were fine. Then I put them back on the iron once they were a little older and their digestive system could handle it. Both my kids were healthy babies and they are still healthy today so I don't think that it harms them in any way to do this.

I hope that Kristen is back to making normal poops in no time...lol Poor little thing!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Mommy35 wrote:
Be careful of giving her water. A lot of peds discourage it. Mylicon is great stuff.

thats very true, vals ped told me only give her as many ounces as her age cause baby kidneys cant process it or something, if your gonna go that route id suggest pedialyte

thats what vals ped said at least

~alicia~
|

Extremely eHealthy
Water can also fill them up so they don't want formula. Then she won't be getting the nutrients or fat she needs from the formula.
|

Especially eHealthy
im not going to give her water Sad
|

Especially eHealthy
I don't understand why people don't give their babies plain water.

Oni's been given water since she was in the hospital. That actaully the first thing she drank. Glucose water.

Her ped told me to give her water in between all of her feedings as well.

Because of it, she was NEVER dehydrated. And you could NEVER see her soft spot. Or her soft spot was never indented. Which is a sign of SEVERE dehydration!!

water is good for babies...

Sarah
|

Especially eHealthy
formula is made with water..

whats the big deal?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Is she any better Suzy? I guess you got to do whats comfortable. Some formula's can be quite dry, so I gave Paige water every few days, she loves it, specially with sqeezed orange and she's hardly constipated anymore. Only now cos I've switched her formula to hungry baby milk. lol.
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....