Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

How to get 8 month old to sleep through night - bigger lunch?

My boy is 8 months old in a week. Hes been eating fruit for breakfast, and veggies for dinner for about 4 months. Regarding quantity, his diet has been the same for about 2 months. Hes almost always slept through the night. Recently hes started waking up in the middle of the night for a bottle. I was wondering, what next? A more substantial dinner? Maybe lunch? Anybody have any suggestions, or input?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
A lot of babies start waking through the night around that age. My son is 8 months 2 weeks and he slept through the night at around 2 1/2 months. He started waking up again around 7 months. Not sure why. Try to keep the room dark and try not to talk to him. The less stimulation the better.
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Experienced User
Mine is 8 1/2 months also, and for about the last week, I have noticed he is sleeping poorly also.
He has been great up to this point but I find his sleeping is more restless now and he quite often wakes at 4 and doesn't want to go back to sleep...until he becomes tired again around 6:30 ish...

I am wondering what to do also...
Help anyone????
Susie
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Around this age many babies have a growth spurt. You can start offering him more food during the day to help satisfy his hungry tummy later on. You could also put a sippy cup of water in his crib that he can find by himself during the night. You could use a bottle with water in it, but you might not want to head down that road.

Another reason is that the baby could be getting teeth or more teeth. Even if you can't see them, more teeth are pushing their way to the surface or cutting through the bone, which is actually more painful than cutting through the gum. The ones in the front are no biggie compared to the ones in the back. You can try leaving a cool chew toy in his crib for the night (or if you are using water in a bottle this will do), and you could also give him some Tylenol before bed and see if that helps him.

If it isn't either of these things, he may just be going through a "separation anxiety" stage. He may have not awakened much before in the middle of the night and realized you weren't there...and now maybe he is! If you really feel the need to check on him, resist the urge to pick him up if everything seems to be ok. Put on some soft music and sit with him for a few minutes and leave quietly.

I hope this helps.
|

replied December 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think that at 8 months what you are fedding him is not enough. He should be having meats and veggies everyday and cereals..Basically 3 complete meals a day at this age.
|

replied December 18th, 2007
: )
Recently my son has started eating a little more through the day, maybe only the last 2 days, but i think it's making a difference. He has started to eat actual fruit through the day. Yesterday night I gave him Tylenol before bed because his teeth were obviously bothering him, and he slept through the night. I guess this is just him growing up. It's exciting Smile
Thanks for the suggestions.
|

replied October 8th, 2010
i am a first time mum and my baby is 8 mths and has never slept through the night. he has 3 meals aday and breast milk inbetween but meal times are a chore its like he is scared of food half the time and can take a long time for him to eat anything. i have tried to stick to foods that i no he likes and introduced others at times. its constant dduring the night have prevented breast milk during the night but he just cries untril he is totally wake and then i am up for 3 hours. if i feed him and he ddoes take a tenty minuet feed then he goes off but wakes up again this happens from 7pm to 7am up to 10 times a night.i have tried to cut down milk during aday and given his snacks between meals but makes no difference so incresed breast and kept snacks end meals but still no chnge. no help from health vis but even though family say its fine he will do it when he is ready i no they ralk behind my back. any advise welcome even if harsh. Smile
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....