Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

1 Cm Dilated And 50% Effaced At 30 Weeks

User Profile
Well, I just got back from L&D again. I just hadn't felt right all day so I went in. My contractions weren't quite as regular or as strong but they were definitely there. I was holding up really good and handling things well until the nurse checked me. I was a cm dilated and 50% effaced and she said she could feel the baby's head. That totally freaked me out. I had to wait for Brandon to leave work too. So, first they gave me a dose of procardia but it did nothing to the contractions. When that didn't work they gave me three shots of terbutaline. My contractions finally quit. I didn't dilate any more thankfully. My doc sent me home on procardia every 6 hours to control the contractions. If this doesn't work and I have to go back though they will be talking about giving me corticosteroids in preparation for a premature labor. I am so freaked out right now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2007
Experienced User
Aww well it sounds like the dr has it all under control. I know itmust be scary, I am 31 weeks, so I couldnt imagine. But pleeease Try to relax, cause if you stress out it could make it worse. Doc would not have sent you home if he felt it was too risky.
Just lots of bedrest and take it easy k.
Keep us posted.
WOrse case scenario, baby will be a preemie but it is 30weeks, almost everything is developed, just not enough fat yet. You and baby will be ok.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
try and relax as much as possible. keep us updated
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
See that's the thing. He didn't put me on bedrest and I really don't understand that. I have always trusted him but lately I'm feeling a little ignored. When they sent me home yesterday I told them I still didn't feel right and that I was having more pressure than I did when I first came in.
|

Especially eHealthy
ohmygosh steph!!!! i hop everything is ok! keep us updated!!!!!!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I will. I'm going to call my doctor when the office opens back up from lunch and find out what I need to do about work and bedrest. They didn't say anything last night. Bad news is that I'm starting to hurt again. I'm going to lie down and drink water until I call them back. This little girl is just busting to get out and she needs to stop it. What's funny though is the early miscarriage I supposedly had would have been due on Christmas Eve so I'm right on schedule for that pregnancy, just not this one.
|

Especially eHealthy
i hope she hangs tight for a few more weeks hun
we are all thinking for you
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I hope she keeps baking a few weeks more.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
You know don't even worry about what your doctor says about bed rest........if I were you I would put myself on it. I am sure that work will understand. I know that being on bed rest is not fun but at least you know that you are doing everything you can to keep her in there as long as you can. Every extra week counts and will make a considerable difference.

Always trust your intuitions.......if something doesn't feel right to you than in my opinion you should go with that feeling. Before I had my m/c in July I knew that something was wrong and my doc kept telling me that I was fine........well obviously it wasn't because I went on to have a m/c. So definitely trust your instincts!

I hope that she does decide to stay in there for a while longer. Just really try to take it easy, keep your feet up and water bottle filled...lol Good luck hun!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Well, I'm on bedrest now and he told me to start taking the meds every four hours instead of six. All I'm allowed to get up for is to go to the bathroom and get water. It's okay though, it's for my little girl.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...