Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

It's Piling Up And Piling On.

I'm 19, I haven't started any new anti-depressants after effexor even though I was supposed to. It just kind of dwindled. I didn't think I would need it because I was doing so well.
Lately however, I'm feeling so put down. I have two jobs and I have a portfolio to hand in around the end of December for a program at a college I've applied to. It's so hard to get up in the morning. I feel so pressured. I've started to cry when I'm at home.
The main issue I guess is that I haven't started my period yet. It's really affecting me. I tell myself that it's because of stress or the sudden drop in temperature. But at the back of my mind I tell myself I might be pregnant. Sometimes I tell myself that I'm most likely pregnant. But I've been using birth control, I have been religious about taking my pills and my boyfriend and I always use a condom. Always.
It's like...A .1 percent chance of pregnancy even after all that. HOW THE HECK can I get into that percentage. I feel so helpless. I feel so pathetic crying in front of the computer. Trying to tell myself that what I'm going through is just being blown out of proportion. I'm trying to keep myself grounded.
I've told my mom about my period not coming, how it's been a week and 3 days. She doesn't seem that concerned...She just says "i wouldn't wait, I'd get it checked out" and then leaves the room. Who do I turn to? My boyfriend is there for me...He has told me so. I told him about my period not coming. I can tell in his voice that he doesn't know what to do. Hell, I don't know what to do. I've made an appointment with my doctor this friday at 2pm and that seems so far away. I still feel like I'm going through this all by myself. I catch myself thinking about it so much. What would happen if I really was pregnant. What the hell would I do!? I'm ruining my boyfriend's life. Yes, it takes two to get pregnant but I feel like...I don't know. He's got a project in Winnipeg that he's probably going to start this winter. 4 days a week maybe more. What will his parents think of me? Ruining his career opportunities. What will people think!? I don't think I can do it. I'm !**@! scared. I'm so so scared, people. I'm ruining my own life. This depression doesn't help.
I dont' even know if I'm pregnant or not. This is all just blowing up in my face. I can't. I'm so alone. I don't know what else to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, stress will stop your period. Sometimes skip one altogether. My advice is to keep yourself calm and don't get yourself all upset over seomthing that may not be.
As far as your depression goes, well only you can help that. Do some meditation when you are home. Go to a safe place, turn down the lights and relax and listen to some soothing music. Think of good things like moutains, streams, a nice summer rain etc. You will then realize what benefit you can get out of yoga or meditation. It really is a great thing.

I wish you the best and wait about two weeks and take a pregnancy test. Or a little longer perhaps.

Carrie
|

Experienced User
remember gurl the best way to provet period and pregnancy in obstenense

peace and represent
s.s.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Oh honey.

If you're a week past your period you can take a test. I'd do it now just so you know what you are up against.

Let us know how it turns out.
|

replied December 6th, 2007
Smarty, I'm well aware of that fact.

And he came over tonight and we talked a bit about it. We're both nervous. He's hiding it well though but his hands give him away. They're all clammy. I'm sick I'm so nervous.
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Take a test! The sooner you take it, the sooner you'll be able to do something about it. And hey, you already know this- chances are, you're not pregnant! It's just stress or something!!

And maybe start the conversation about what you would plan to do if the test comes back positive- keep the baby, abortion, adoption.... It's a good thing to know before you are flooded with the emotions.

This is a really hard talk to have, too. Best of luck.
|

replied December 7th, 2007
I had my test today with the docotor.
She asked me what I was hoping for. I said that I wasn't pregnant. They got me to pee in a cup and then the assistant came in and dipped a stick into my pee cup. A line showed up in a couple seconds and then she left me to stare at it. It was one vertical line. I tried to think of what it might mean. If I looked at it vertically then it meant negative and my heart soared. but she had placed it horizontally. And then I wondered why it had to be so difficult to figure out. So then I started to think about what would happen if I was pregnant....and then everything kind of went fuzzy.
My doctor came in and looked at me and my wet eyes and then the test and she said "well it looks here like you're not pregnant" -
And I burst into tears.
I felt so relieved and I gave her the gist about the stress and she said she understood. Amid the sniffles she told me about how I was going to get soem bloodwork done to A) make sure I'm not pregnant, and B) Make sure my hormones are okay because my last period (before the skipped one) lasted two weeks and was nothing but spotting.
She told me that if there was something she would call me within 1-2 days. If I didn't hear anything from her, then it was good news.
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Hooray
Thanks for the support Georgia and co.
Things are starting to slow down now. I'm feeling better.
*hug*
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Experienced User
Your Welcome
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....