Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Making the Switch to Cymbalta

i'm making the switch to cymbalta from effexor... i think it had just run it's course and wasn't working for me any more. over the past four yrs. i have gained a lot of weight (due to depression, trying out a few unsuccessful meds, etc) and i've heard that cymbalta can help you lose weight (or at least you won't gain with it)... has anyone found this to be true? i haven't had any major side effects since making the transition, which is nice! also, does this med tend to increase your energy level because that's something i definitely need. i was taking 300 mg effexor and felt pretty drained most the time. i know that everyone experiences different effects with meds but any feedback would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know about the weight loss, but I will say this. If you are able to take it, I have heard nothing but good things about it. They switched my X from Lexepro to cymabalta and boy what a difference. I would be on it myself but my insrurance wont pay for it. I am still on Lexepro. I hear it is a wonderful drug for depression. Please let us know how you do one it. It may be worth the money for me also to make the switch.
I wish you the best of luck with it.

Carrie
|

Experienced User
Feeling Good
my doc. switched me from Zoloft to Cymbatla and I can tell a huge difference. I feel alot better and am able to cope and function. For me it was what i needed to get me through some of the worst time's in my life. I didn't experience any weight gain, loss of sleep, or appitite. I would recommend in.
|

Generic?
isn't there a generic form of cymbalta that's cheaper? how expensive is it? since i just started it i'm taking samples from my dr.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I have been on Cymbalta for about a year now and have not noticed any side effects. Weight gain is not a problem for me. I don't know of a generic brand for it yet either.
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Experienced User
No Generic
Right now there isn't a generic . A month's supply cost me $50.00 and that is with my insurance. It's expensive for me , but it makes me more calm.
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
It takes a few years before the patent releases and generics can be made. I think cymbalta is still too new for generics.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its drug of choice in diabetes mellitus with neuropathy. It causes weight loss if used for short term. Its role is more in relieving neuropathic pain. Most clinicians are not preferring it to be a good choice for depressive symptoms. Anyhow, you have shown improvement with it. Continue the same drug.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.