Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Osteochondroma Recovery

Hi everyone!

I just had an operation on my left thigh, just up above my knee for osteochondroma. It has been 2-3 months since, and i am walking about fine, and jogging a little (although my left thigh and knee area would hurt afterwards) my left leg is also quite weak, and isn't ready for more yet.

When will my leg be able to return to its original state? i mean, when will it recover fully? and would i be able to play competitive sports again?because i really miss my soccer sessions.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The recovery period depends upon the bone lesion and location.
Does the surgical treatment includes both removing the tumor and the regeneration of new healthy bone at the site of the tumor (with techniques for bone grafting and skeletal regeneration)?
How old are you?
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Im 18 years old and im turning 19 in a month! the doctor said he had to (i dont know the word for this) do something, i would think that its bone grafting? because he would remove the tumor by carving it out of the bone. the location is my left thigh, just 2-3 cm above the knee. the scar is about 10cm long. my knee still has no power and i have been using my right leg for crouching, getting up the stairs (2 steps at once for my right leg and 1 step for my left) and for heavy lifting.
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
There are some clinical informations that patients are able to resume sporting activity within 4 to 8 weeks after osteochondroma surgery.
If the removal of the tumor is performed by the use of endoscopically assisted resection, the recovery period is shorter. One patient that was professional golf player was treated with endoscopically assisted resection and he could start playing golf one week after the surgery, because this therapy obtains early functional recovery with a short hospital stay and cosmetic advantage.

How do you feel?
Have you noticed some improvements in a meantime?

Here is the link that you may find interesting to check it:

http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php?s=& amp;change_well_id=2&url_article_id=16 22
(copy and paste)

Hope write to me soon!
Marija
|

replied December 30th, 2007
I am feeling much better. It has been about 3 months, but my left knee is still weak, and I was able to ski yesterday, but i can still feel some restrain on my left knee. It has not fully recovered yet. I dont think I would be able to sprint now, do you know when I will be able to do more hardcore sports (Soccer, Basketball etc.) that would require me to sprint and stop with my legs?

An estimation is very greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your concern.
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Great that you feel much better.
Did you undergo physical therapy for your range-of-motion and strengthening like rehab after surgery?
What have you been told by your surgeon for being more active in sports on daily basis?
|

replied January 29th, 2008
i havent had any rehab yet, as i had to fly to the states 2 weeks after my op in singapore. its been about 5 months now, and im feeling stronger, being able to run for 15 minutes, but not yet sprinting.
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Where and when you gonna have your follow ups?
|
Quick Reply