Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia symptoms? dizziness, hunger, depression, anxiety...

Hi, I recently took a 2 hour GTT with results of 85, 49, 53. I have an appointment with a endocrinologist soon.

I have a million symptoms that have been getting worse and worse over the past 10 years or so. They include dizziness that never goes away, ravenous hunger, depression, GERD, anxiety, IBS, chronic sinusitis, extreme weakness, brain fog, constant dry mouth, frequent urination, shortness of breath, etc.

Eating anything magnifies my symptoms. The larger the meal, the worse my symptoms get. It seems like the more food I eat the hungrier I get. I don't think I ever actually feel full no matter what I eat. I also never gain any weight no matter how much I eat.

Could this all be caused by low glucose? How low is 49? It seems like I feel the worst right after I eat and slowly start to feel better the longer I wait before I eat again. Of course I'm always so ridiculously hungry that it's very difficult not to eat frequently.

It seems like an adrenal dysfunction or candida overgrowth would make more sense but would either of them explain the low blood sugar? Also wouldn't eating food make me feel better if I am hypoglycemic? I have no idea what diet to go on and am sick of waiting for more doctors to misdiagnose me. I feel terrible every second of every day. I wish there was some device that measured my glucose levels every second of the day. Anyone got any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2007
Community Volunteer
Hypoglycemia is definitely a possibility, but unfortunately you can't feel better just by eating. You can by eating in the sense of eating RIGHT, but the effect of it can take months to see. Adrenal dysfunction, it should be known, is typically a symptom of the sugar disorder itself. Best thing to do is eat a good diet and see what happens. Candida is easy to diagnose, but don't do it yourself and start on some foolish diet unless it's verified, some doctors like to quickly jump on it as a dustbin diagnosis without really figuring the problem out.
|

replied December 3rd, 2007
My next doctor's appointment is in over a month. I want to stick with a diet until then. Can I get a link to one that has worked for hypoglycemics? I have read a number of different diets for hypos. Is high protein better than high carbs? Would it hurt to take a probiotic and candex(candida treatment supplement) with my diet? Should I try super greens (green drink) along with it? How much water should I be drinking? Any info on what has worked for others would be great. I am having trouble finding success stories and what has worked.
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Probiotics are fine, I suggest primal defense. I don't know about super greens, so post a link so I can see it. I drink around 3 liters or so a day, don't force yourself to drink too much more than a gallon maximum per day. On this forum I have the diet you need to read posted.
|

I read your diet and have been on it for 3 days now. The only thing I am worried about is the amount of fat I have been taking in. I can get pretty bad GERD symptoms from lots of fat. So far it hasn't been bad though.

I am trying to make sense of my GTT results:

fasting: 85
1 hour: 49
2 hour: 53

Have you seen a drop in glucose happen after just the first hour before? Does this mean I should be eating a meal every hour? I know I need to take the longer test, but I'm not sure I want to go through that hell again : (
|

Hileking
The dizziness you describe, can you expand on that? Most of your other symptoms, including the dry mouth, are most likely caused by your anxiety related to the dizziness. Then your body goes into "panic attack mode", which is why you think you have IBS. Do you get headaches frequently? Is there neck tension? If this makes sense.Send me a private message and I will help, best I can.
|

Hileking
I sent you a message. If you did not get it, type vertical heterophoria syndrome in google as a search. The first and second site should help you. See the symptoms and testimonials and see if you can relate. The anxiety and panic attacks are going to make it hard for you to filter through the real cause, so trust your instincts. It seems when I list the actual site, the modrators to this forum don't seem to like it. Let me know if it helped.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Yeah, no, that's clear hypoglycemia right there. You should be eating no more than every two hours, once every hour is too much. And which diet version did you read? Hopefully NOT version 8, that's not the final version. They unfortunately moved the final one to a general part of the site. It's at: http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic109623 .html
|

replied December 6th, 2007
Ya that was the first link that I went to. Here is my diet:

Waking:
tblspn Brewer's Yeast
tiny piece of turkey or chicken
2 eggs with teaspoon coconut oil
avocado
piece of fruit (apple, orange, or berries)

8: tblspn oil, several nuts, 1/2 serving turkey or chicken, huge salad, avocado
10: tblspn oil, several nuts, 1/2 serving turkey or chicken, huge salad, squash, piece of fruit
2:tblspn oil, several nuts, 1/2 serving turkey or chicken, huge salad, squash, piece of fruit
4:tblspn oil, several nuts, 1/2 serving turkey or chicken, huge salad, squash, piece of fruit
6:tblspn oil, several nuts, 1/2 serving turkey or chicken, huge salad, squash, piece of fruit
8:tblspn oil, several nuts, 1/2 serving turkey or chicken, huge salad, squash, piece of fruit

before bed: tblspn Brewer's Yeast, 2 eggs with tpsn coconut oil

I hope I am getting enough carbs:

2 medium avocados, lots of lettuce, 2-3 cups of winter or butternut squash, about 1-2 cups of fruit, and maybe a half cup of nuts. I am used to eating lots of vegetables but this is tough. Am I getting enough carbs? Am I getting too much fat?

oils: extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and flax seed oil

supplements: Vitamin C, Multi Vitamin, calc/mag/zinc vitamin, fish oil, probiotic, candex
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Might be too much fat there, I got rid of that idea after experimenting with my original diet. What kind of lettuce are you eating? Don't bother with iceberg, it has like zero nutritional content. The squash may be a bit too much, I have trouble with it if I eat it too often. Are you just putting oil on the salad? You can make salad dressing to make it better. I prefer butter over coconut oil for eggs. Based on what you said, you should be getting enough carbs. When you say 'piece of fruit' how much are you eating? How big is a huge salad?
|

replied December 7th, 2007
Ya I am going to use a teaspoon of oil on my salads instead of tablespoon. I have been eating about 2 bags of green leaf lettuce a day with pieces of other vegetables like peppers, broccoli, and spinach. I am sticking to mostly leafy vegetables. For the day I eat about a cup of fruit I would say. Any salad dressing recipes would be great. I get sick of whatever I am using after my 4th salad. I have been really weak and irritable but I guess that is to be expected at the start. I don't feel too much worse than I normally feel. Thanks for your advice.
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Salad dressing will help. You can basically make any type you want so long as you avoid ingredients that make you sick. The basic salad dressing foundation is just vinegar (apple cider is probably best for you) and olive oil. Everything else is just different seasoning. For a quick Italian dressing, take that base and add some black pepper, garlic salt and italian seasoning. Bam, done.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
For all the hypos outthere I thought I was going crazy. bought a book on the internet. (It has been a blessing!!)
After being put on different anti-anxiety drugs for about 10 years.

THE DOS AND DONTS OF HYPOGLYCEMIA BY ROBERTA RUGGIERO. The introduction made me cry, what is wrong with the doctors I have been seen? labeled me as mental...
|

replied April 21st, 2013
Hi, I m having the same problem as you with dizziness, hunger and anxiety. Been to the doctors, they don't know what's wrong with me and I have been suffering for 17 months now. Can you please help
|

replied June 5th, 2013
Experienced User
You are suffering from reactive hypoglycemia and are now suffering with general anxiety also as a result of the stress from the hypoglycemia. Sort your diet out and deal with the anxiety issues, use Google, look into cbt, learning how to control your breathing and learning to relax
|

replied June 6th, 2013
Experienced User
You are suffering from reactive hypoglycemia and are now suffering with general anxiety also as a result of the stress from the hypoglycemia. Sort your diet out and deal with the anxiety issues, use Google, look into cbt, learning how to control your breathing and learning to relax
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...