Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

8 week ultrasound accuracy

went to the doctor because I thought I could be pregnant despite having all my periods for 3 months,(I'm on birth control and didn't know if it was possible to still have a withdrawal period if you got pregnant on it or not.) and negative blood and urine tests. I just felt weird and thought that I was prego! I know it sounds crazy, but I'm overly paranoid. So, she sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound and had the tech give me a little anatomy lesson. She showed me my ovaries, the lining of my uterus and even where a baby would be if I were pregnant. So, I felt better when my doc told me that there was no baby there and put me on birth control. Well, now I'm being overly paranoid again (nothing unusual!) because I didn't tell her that me and my ex (we were still dating at the time) were messing around and he wanted to have sex but I didn't, but he stuck his penis in me anyway and I pushed him off! The doc sent me for a blood test the day before the ultrasound and it was negative, and I would have been 8 weeks from the incident in which a pregnancy would have happened. My question is, could they have missed a baby at 8 weeks pregnant on ultrasound. Wouldn't the tech have at least seen a gestational sac? I know the chances are slim, but please help me ease my mind! I've had all of my periods also, they've just been lighter. Any help would be appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 28th, 2009
absolutely no
There is no possible way the doctors would miss an 8 week pregnancy with an ultrasound especially. I am 8 weeks and the ultrasound would show a little black ring and a white form inside of it. And you would DEFINITELY know if you were pregnant by 8 weeks because you'd probably be getting sick and your breasts would be larger and in lots of pain. I found out simply by taking a store-bought pregnancy test and it showed positive then I followed up with a doctor's appointment even with doubts. It was only confirmed.
|

User Profile
replied August 12th, 2009
A blood test called a quantitative BHCG, meaning a pregnancy test detecting a specific level of HCG, the pregnancy hormone, would have produced a level greater then negative. Ultrasound would have detected if a IUP, intrauterine pregnancy was present and at this stage a cardiac heart beat would have been seen. Even if you were pregnant outside the uterus, say in a tube or in the adominal cavity the blood test would prove it.
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...