Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Coming off laxatives but still experiencing spasmodic diarrohea

Having taken laxatives of varying amounts for more years than I can remember I have finally managed to get down from 13 tablets to 3 a night.I am really pleased with myself and feel that this is one major step to conquering the eating disorder that has plagued me for over half of my life.
My question is I am still experiencing spasmodic diarrohea, whilst I was more than expecting to become constipated. Is this to be expected? I want to get my bowels back to normal and hope that I haven't done any permanent damage
I would like to hear about anyone else's eperiences of coming off laxatives.Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2007
I do not know for sure so anything i say ask a professional, I would say stop taking laxatives period. Try not eating 4 hours before u sleep, drink a lot of water because laxatives dehydrate u so get ur water level right, drink teas no cafiene before u sleep and orange juice in the morning or apple juice even if u drink coffee. I sometimes drink these ballerina dieters teas i get from asian stores. They cleanse ur system so it helps bowel movement I do not think they are laxatives even though the outcome is similar, they are herbs. But i don't drink them all the time because they say they only give extra bowel movements in the first 4 days and they always do for me so i don't always use it. U can just to start u off. Because u have taken so many laxatives u should ask a doctor first. Also eat healthy since u have a eating disorder so u don't go back to old habits. Spicy foods asian and indian help u go to the bathroom as well green and fruits. Beats, spinach, anything that contains lots of water. Exercise too because it helps u digest.
|

replied November 30th, 2007
Thanks for the advice.
|

replied July 29th, 2009
im trying to come off them too,been on them for what seems like forever,i see a counciler but sometimes i feel a failure when i dont take as many x im not scared whats its doing to me i feel a failure because all i do is maintain my weight on them x
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....