Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control Start Date for Irregular Period

I have a very irregular period. I just saw my doctor today and I'm not pregnant but I have a very skippy period...so if I don't get a period that month when would be a good time to start my birth control? Is it ok to start your packs without having a period? Will it still work?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Just start whenever. It won't hurt anything.
|

replied November 30th, 2007
Experienced User
If you don't have a period than start a Sunday dating. Thats what I've been told. But I'm sure you can start anyday of the week, the pill should start helping you have regular periods. Just make sure if you are having sex to use a backup method for the first week forsure and some people say even the first month. Good luck
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Yeah, the sunday start is nice if your package is labeled starting on sunday Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I started it as soon as I got it. A sunday start is nice because it goes along with the labeling on your package. However, as long as you take your pill every day on time and STILL USE A CONDOM (if you are having sex) for the first 2-4 weeks (depending on what the instructions in your pack says), you will be protected.
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...