Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Alcohol Problems - ill and nauseous when I drink + heart problem

i have a medical question..
i'm a 42 yr. old female.
i used to be able to drink alcohol without hangovers..
at worst i'd get a headache.. normal.

after a long abstinence during which time i struggled with an eating disorder, b vitamin anemia and a chronic sensitive stomach issue, i began drinking again and before long realized that i was getting really ill afterwards.. not just hungover ill..

i also have a weak heart.. possible leftover from the eating disorder..
but i do not take meds for it or anything..

i have found that even one mixed drink will cause me such a deathly nausea many hours later.. and if i overindulge i literally feel like the life is squeezed out of me and i'll just die.. extreme nausea goes with it..
it's only like 6 hours after.. i feel fine until then..
is this just some new kind of hangover for me?
or can it be explained by the anemia, heart or stomach problems?
does anybody know?

i'd really like to know..
and not just to be told to stop drinking,
because i think i'll just end up doing my own kind of trial & error to figure it out.. Confused
i mean, is it something particular to vodka.. is it the oj i mix it with.. (my stomach is notoriously sensitive to everything.. i've been on many different stomach meds through the years..)

is it my heart?

thanks,
ghost
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes! Stop drinking. I will kill your liver if it don't kill you first. Go to some AA meetings where there are people struggling like you. You will get to meet alot of sober friends there too.
Remember, you are the one that has to want to stop drinkin. No one can do that for you.
|

Experienced User
Remember MsCarrie, Ghost asked for advice on how she can continue to drink safely…she said, ”and not just to be told to stop drinking,”

Nothing changes until that attitude has exhausted itself.

Richard
|

shadowalker164 wrote:
Remember MsCarrie, Ghost asked for advice on how she can continue to drink safely…she said, ”and not just to be told to stop drinking,”

Nothing changes until that attitude has exhausted itself.

Richard

ms carrie & richard.. i appreciate that advice.. and i don't mean to sound like i'm disregarding it..

i have abstained from drinking for long periods, once for more than 10 years.. but i honestly just want to get to the bottom of why i cannot simply have a drink or two in a social scenario..

i don't mean to sound trite..
i can't get past the obvious 'stop drinking' message to find out if this is heart related or anemia or what? that's all..

thanks,
ghost
|

Extremely eHealthy
Once you have the willingness to stop and admit you do have a problem. That and only that will be your first step to recovery. Actually it is step one in the 12 steps.
You will stop when you are ready and have reached rock bottom.

You know I wish you the best.
|

replied May 6th, 2010
If Ghost didn''t drink for 10 years.... I doubt she has a problem... her body is taking her choice away from her and she wants answers, that''s all. I have lead a mostly healthy life and I hardly ever drink at all and now I have heart murmurs that make exercise totally suck and I love working out.... how''s that life for ya.

The most I''ve ever drank is maybe 2 glasses of wine...maybe 3 shots, or 2 beers..... never all at once. I''ve enevr had a hangover but I did have symptoms like Ghost... I drank 1 beer 2 fast and almost barfed and felt really drunk, but mine only took 2 hours! I felt like I''d never be able to drink even 1 tasty beer again, cause I don''t drink cheap beer. Needless to say, I don''t care, because UI never get drunk or drink to get drunk....I hate barfing more than life itself, so I don''t push my luck.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These features are suggestive of gastritis.
I would suggest you proton pump inhibitors.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.