Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

How Do You Work Out With Anxiety/panic Disorder?

I have been trying to work out to an Aerobics video but everytime i get my heart rate up my brain must sense that i am having a panic issue and that puts me into extreme anxiety mode.I guess i have been dealing with severe anxiety so long that any time my brain senses my heart rate go up it throws me into anxiety/panic mode.Does anyone else have this problem,and how do you exersise if it makes you extremely anxious afterwards?Thanks...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 29th, 2007
There Are Other Exersices
I have Stress and Depression. Why not try a Calming Workout. Yoga, Chi Quong, Stretching to Music or Dance. As long as you are in motion you are doing good.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Re: How Do You Work Out With Anxiety/panic Disorder?
keith64 wrote:
I have been trying to work out to an Aerobics video but everytime i get my heart rate up my brain must sense that i am having a panic issue and that puts me into extreme anxiety mode.I guess i have been dealing with severe anxiety so long that any time my brain senses my heart rate go up it throws me into anxiety/panic mode.Does anyone else have this problem,and how do you exersise if it makes you extremely anxious afterwards?Thanks...

That's a really common problem, lets see what I come up with-

You could try lower impact workouts- a long brisk walk has all the effects of an aerobics tape- and you can slow down if you start to feel anxiety. Plus it's good to get outside and breathe the fresh air.

Water aerobics is not just for old people, in fact, it's really fun. The water has a strange effect on your body and your heart rate and breathing don't raise as much, so maybe that would be good for you.

Or you could try the really low impact stuff, like yoga/tai chi/pilates, work on more muscular endurance and flexibility. You'll still be getting healthier. Is your goal weight loss, muscle building, or just overall health?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Sorry rejuvenation- that was advertising. But it was a good idea.
|

replied December 1st, 2007
Yes It Is.
It is advertising to purchase cds. I've purchased exercise tapes before. Didn't you see the different variety to choose from?
|

replied August 27th, 2009
I take 0.25mg clonazepam about 90 minutes before working out and it seems to keep my mind at ease while on the elliptical.
|

replied July 25th, 2011
i have anxiety and today was the first time i had an attack on my way home from the gym. i think its important to drink tone of water and cool down after working out as soon as you can, cold water on your face, air conditioning in the car, loose fitting clothes. I did the opposite today, tight fitting clothes, i worked out harder than usual, and my cars air conditioner was broke. I felt like i almost had a heart attack on my way home!! now im drinking a beer to calm myself down....just be careful when you workout if you have anxiety! It doesn't take much to get your body into fight or flight mode.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2011
Experienced User
try yoga .as it is the best one
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...