I have seen many of the girls on here mention about being on some form of anti-depressants. I was just wondering what types have worked for you guys, and what it's like to use them? iAny personal experiences really. I've never taken any before (though there were probably times when I should have been on some), so I really have no idea what their like and about the different kinds.

It's weird because for the first time in a long time my life is going well, and things are in place. It's not like I hate my life, I just find it hard to get excited about things, and I'm constantly tired and dragging myself around. I also get really stressed and depressed about school, like I dread waking up and going, and on the weekends I dread the new week coming to the point where Sunday is torture because I'm so upset about another week starting. I feel like I don't have the motivation to have social interactions. Like I don't want to go there, and have to see people, or speak to anyone ever again. I just don't feel like ever being around people anymore. Also lows will just hit me out of no where, and all of a sudden everything is crappy, then I'm happy again, then all of a sudden I'm insanely sad again with no trigger or a very unreasonably small trigger.

I don't think I'm out of control depressed or anything, I just think it would be nice to be a little more balanced.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2007
Experienced User
im not on anti-depressants and am satisfied with my life....
im glad to see you are too and i agree with you...everyone cheer up
|

Extremely eHealthy
soldierswifey wrote:
im not on anti-depressants and am satisfied with my life....
im glad to see you are too and i agree with you...everyone cheer up

This is a common misconception about depression and is simply down to ignorance about the illness. Depression has nothing to do with being 'dissatisfied with one's life' and it's not simply a case of 'cheer up'.

Tanya, I have suffered with post natal depression and, even though I am totally contented with my life, simply found that I lacked the motivation and energy to do anything. Everything felt pointless and bleak and I became like a shadow of my real self, merely going through the motions of every day but not really feeling anything. I have been prescribed several antidepressants before I found the ones that are working brilliantly for me. I started off on Citalopram but found the effects wore off so I was switched to Prozac but that made me feel really ill, spaced out and sick. I am now on Efexor and they are marvelous! I have got my spirit back again, I am going out and meeting friends, am back playing badminton and am enjoying my work again.

Before I had depression I thought there were times in my life when I had depression. I was wrong. I may have had times when my life wasn't going great or I felt dissatisfied but I was not truely depressed. I now realise that true depression is an illness that slowly saps your life force from you and turns you into a creature that merely 'exists'. If you think you have depression you must see your doctor because it will not just go away. I don't like the fact that I have to take tablets to be well (especially because DH and I were hoping to ttc in Jan but the antidepressants can harm the foetus) but I'd rather be a great mummy to one than a crap mummy to two.

The way I look at it, I don't question the fact that I need to take medicine to keep my asthma under control so why should my mental health be any different?

Good luck.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Im glad you're feeling better Jules those tablets sound goood! I too hate it when people say "cheer up" to anyone with depression, because you cant just cheer up!

Tanya I have depression and anxiety, Ive had it in some degree for years but finally went to the doctors about it last year because it got so bad I just couldnt handle it by myself anymore.

Ive been on 4 different meds since then. First 2 didnt have any/much effect on me. 3rd one was prozac which helped but made me exhausted all the time I couldnt look after Jay on it. Now im on sertraline (zoloft).

I've found they cover up your really bad feelings. Like I was having constant suicidal thoughts, found myself crying a lot over nothing in general, really anxious about going anywhere, would sit and stare at the walls, would stay in bed all day if it was possible etc. Now that stuff doesnt happen. Its like im numb to my emotions in a way.

They dont make you feel happy though. I get anxiety attacks occasionally and Im still depressed but it doesnt affect me so badly. I dont want to go out much or see many people though I make myself. I enjoy being a mum and doing things with Jay more, but its still a struggle most days, however at least im not a complete mess on the bathroom floor crying my eyes out and holding a razor blade.

Still wish they made me feel better than this but the doctor said they wont make anyone feel happy, just back to yourself...well I dont know what that is because ive been depressed for so long. I dont know if I should try yet another medication or stay on this one and be thankful at least the worst feelings are gone. What do you think Jules?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for these replies, I'm going to properly read them tomorrow and reply as I'm about to pass out from exhaustion on my nice comfy bed.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
My mum is taking seretraline (zoloft). She has suffered from depression for many years. She has been switched to loads of different tablets but none seem to really work. She still has suicidal thoughts and still is down right depressed with life Crying or Very sad

I wsh there was a way of making her feel better
|

Extremely eHealthy
sick_mama17 wrote:
I dont know if I should try yet another medication or stay on this one and be thankful at least the worst feelings are gone. What do you think Jules?

I don't think you should be feeling 'numb' and I think you should be feeling better than you describe. Of course the tablets won't make you 'happy' - their purpose is to make you 'normal' (just like my asthma medication doesn't give me super strong lungs but just lets them function like normal ones) but unless your normal personality is to feel numb and like cutting yourself off from people then I would say you need to see a different doctor.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I meant numb in the way of the tablets make those bad feelings stop, like they numb them out. Im not totally numb of my emotions though, just dont feel the bad ones so much...if that makes sense? Ive heard others describe the effect like that too. I hate changing meds because I worry the new ones wont work as well as these and I'll be in that bad place again. My doctor did offer to change them last week but I said no because they are helping to an extent definately! But not as much as I want them to. I'll think about it some more. Thanks for your advice Smile
I was going to see a psychiatrist too but the hospital hes at isnt in this town so it would be difficult to get there so I decided not to.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...