Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

annual OB/GYN exam? PAP smear? (Page 1)

User Profile
I have a sincere question since this is a teen pregnancy forum...

Its known that you should begin a yearly GYNO routine at the age of 17 if you are a virgin/not sexually active, 15 if you are sexually active, or if you lost your virginity prior to the age of 15, you need to start immedietly yearly ex 12/13+

It is a veryy positive thing.. and even if you dont want you parents to know you are sexually active and you are at say age 15 you can tell them you just want to know about your body! It is your right and responsibility as a woman, especially as a sexually active woman...

I see all these posts from 13-16 yr olds having sex and becoming pregnant...

Have you all been to the Gyno? Do you go annually? Have you checked yourself for STDs if you are sexually active? Papsmears Normal/Adnormal? Cysts? Are you being responsible about your body? etc...

I dont understand how you could get pregnant, hide your pregnancy, and MAYBE go to a doc or clinic... yet have never even had a papsmear
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't understand how they could be so ignorant to get pregnant on purpose at that age, anyway. Don't they see their parents struggling to pay the bills? How do they think they are going to do that BEFORE THEY CAN EVEN DRIVE?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Not starting a debate would just like to know, if they have/have not etc..
|

Experienced User
I've used the word ignorant in this entire forum and it got me banned . So i will now be using the "turning the negativity around" statement.

I think you did a great thing posting this and hopefully some young girls will read this and realize that it is so important.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I was always told you didn't need to get a pap smear until your 20's o.O
|

Especially eHealthy
If you are sexually active you need a pap smear no matter how young you are. You're advised to get one every 1-3 years as a sexually active female.

In New York state, you are required to get a pap smear if you are 18 years old and seeking birth control.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
My gyno refused to give me a papsmear, actually. I am sexually active and she knows it. She says that I should be 21, and at 20 (and younger) that it may be messed up results or risks or something like that.

She does all of the other check ups and tests, but not that one.

Time to find a new gyno?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
PenguinsRus wrote:
My gyno refused to give me a papsmear, actually. I am sexually active and she knows it. She says that I should be 21, and at 20 (and younger) that it may be messed up results or risks or something like that.

Time to find a new gyno?

Shocked Shocked omg if she knows you are sexually active and does not want to giv you one that WRONG. Does she test you for STDs and stuff. Im sorry hun she just wrong.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, I have been tested for STDs and everything. She does all of the normal exam stuff, just minus the pap. She said she'd start giving me them next year once I turn 21. I guess I just assumed it was normal/she would know best since she is a doctor and I never heard or thought to ask otherwise.
|

replied November 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Pap Smear

Pap Test

A Pap test is done to look for changes in the cells of the cervix. During a Pap test, a small sample of cells from the surface of the cervix is collected by your health professional. The sample is then spread on a slide (Pap smear) or mixed in a liquid fixative (liquid-based cytology) and sent to a lab for examination under a microscope. The cells are examined for abnormalities that may indicate abnormal cell changes, such as dysplasia or cervical cancer.

It is important to have your first Pap test within 3 years of starting to have sex or by age 21. You may be able to stop having regular Pap tests after you are 65 to 70 years of age, if you have had 3 normal Pap tests in a row, and you do not have a high risk of cervical cancer. Women who do not have a uterus may not need a Pap test if the uterus was not removed because of cervical dysplasia or cervical cancer. You may need more frequent Pap tests if you have more than one sex partner or have had an abnormal Pap test in the past. Talk with your health professional about how often you should have Pap tests.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Okay, so I suppose my gyno is right then (I have only been sexually active since I was 18 and I'm 20 now, so it hasn't been 3 years yet). That is a relief to know. Thanks for the info!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah, sex ed always said you shouldn't get one until you were 21, even if you were sexually active.

(For us)
|

Especially eHealthy
PenguinsRus wrote:

Time to find a new gyno?

Definitely time to find a new gyno. I got my first pap at age 20. I've never had any "messed up" results.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Gosh, I had my first pap smear at 17, right after I began having sex. I wanted the pill, so I had to do it.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I'm on the pill, but they didn't have me get one before prescribing it.
|

User Profile
Supporter
never had one, i don't think is compulsive over here. I did have a check on my cervix at my first antenatal apptthough because cervical cancer runs in my family
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i've never had one and i dont know if or when i have to have one
|

Especially eHealthy
An inspection of your cervix is the first part of a pap smear. The second half is actually getting it swabbed with a giant q-tip.
|

Experienced User
I got my first Pap when I was 16 and first got on depo. My results came back fine. I have never heard of waiting until age 21 to get one. I was always told when you became sexually active (no matter the age) you need to start going to the OB/GYN and get one every year.
|

Especially eHealthy
RebelCats wrote:
I got my first Pap when I was 16 and first got on depo. My results came back fine. I have never heard of waiting until age 21 to get one. I was always told when you became sexually active (no matter the age) you need to start going to the OB/GYN and get one every year.

Yep, that's exactly what I've always been told.

Perhaps the story about false results before age 21 is another myth, like how doctors used to think IUDs were bad for women who'd never given birth? That's been disproven.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...