Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Midfoot sprain lingering for a year

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas about what's going on with me.

A year ago I cockled over in 'fashionable' mules, and despite it being a bad fall, it didn't hurt at all. I went on the computer, and within three hours I was experiencing the the most incredible throbbing pain inside my foot. I was very busy, and didn't have time to rest the injury - in fact I was walking on it about six miles a day with the help of painkillers. It was agony, but I had no choice. It gradually faded away, but returned about four months later - and it was so painful that I couldn't walk. My boyfriend and parents helped me to hospital because we were convinced it was broken. The doctors x-rayed it and said that there was nothing wrong, and told me off for wasting their time. They also said I should rest it for three days. I rested it for three days and it went away for a month or so, but then it came back - for good it seems.

I'm now in a situation where I am forced to rest the foot three days out of every four, and any walking (shopping etc,) causes me great pain. Most of the time I have a very embarrassing limp, and can't go far. It's no life for a 21 year-old and I really need to get it sorted because i'm scared it's never going to go away and i'm going to be like this forever. I've been to the doctor, and he has given me a referral the a physiotherapist, but the prospect of *walking* to the physio worries me! Also, I can't imagine that it would make it any better.

I am very overweight and i'm positive that the excess weight being carried by my size-3 feet isn't doing the injury any good. The foot stops me being active which makes the weight worse, but the excess weight makes the foot worse, so I can't win!

Anyway, i'd say there's a lesson to be learned to anybody reading this: always rest your sprains!

Maybe what i've described isn't a sprain at all. Does anybody have any advice, similar experiences, or ideas about what might be the problem? Thanks for taking the time to read this! Laughing
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 25th, 2004
Sprain
Go get some reflexology - it will help with the scar tissue, inflammation, emotional shock and your metabolism! Also try massaging your foot and leg in upwards strokes with vegetable oil with a couple of drops of lavender essential oil added - great analgesic.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
If the above does not work for you, try looking up rsd(reflex sympathetic dystrophy) on the computer this is what I have among other things and I sure hope this isn't what you have but the good thing is with you is it did stop hurting for a while. Has the pain & swelling went up your leg, I sure hope not!
Does your family have mules? I just love them! We used to live in a town where they had "mule days," every year on memorial weekend (bishop ca).
Your Dr.'s sound like some of our Dr.'s here, with very bad bed-side manner, heck, you should have reported the Dr. That told you that (not that it would have done you any good). Don't worry, I am overweight to, but my shoe size is bigger.
Anyway, to get back to the situation, I sure hope your foot gets better!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied May 25th, 2004
Hey thanks for answering. I'm in the middle of my exams right now but the minute they finsih i'm going to do my appointment with the physio. One of my friends told me that I should try to get an ultrasound, which will show up any sprains or tears. I like the idea of alternative therapy, but i've found I have to be very careful when massaging my foot - my boyfriend does it for me, and he can barely touch it. Also, i'm not sure whether it actually works. The only thing that seems to give any results is straight rest. Reflexology sounds expensive!!!

I don't have any pain or swelling in my legs. What are 'mule days'? I'm from england. Smile

thanks for the replies,
julia :d
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....