Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Why Won't I Get Bigger ????:!: :?:

User Profile
Hey, I'm 18 close to 19 and seem to have a bit of a problem with bulking up. I have always had an extremely fast metabolism, and have been very thin my whole life, I'm very active nd eat small meals about every 4 or 5 hours, I'm hungry almost all the time and like t eat big meals. I just started college so eating healthy has been a problem but i try my best. I really want to get some more meat on my bones because Im just tired f being a little guy. Can anyone help me figure out how to bulk up. I cant get a gym membership due to funds so Im pretty limited to cheap at home workouts. Anyway that is the jist of it all if anyone can help all advie is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
Hmmmmmm
Low on funds? You can try buying two 50lb dumbbells and two 25lb dumbbells to do the following:
-Bicep curls
-Floor press (like bench press but done on floor, not bench)
-Military presses
-Tricep curls
-Deadlifts
Also, maybe you are an ectomorph and you tend to be skinny anyways, so maybe building up muscles requires a little extra patience.
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey, I posted something for ya in your nutrition post.

It's going to take a awhile to get things going, but if you lift the weights mmafighter just told you and eat right, then you should be able to gain some weight. It will take some time! You shouldn't gain more than a pound and a half each week-- anything more isn't a healthy gain!

And MMAfighter, why do a floor press? I've never heard of that one.
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
Lol
Floor pressing is like bench press, except you do it without a bench, making things cheaper. You basically bring your hands down until they push against the floor (ur arms are now bent at 90 degrees) and then push up.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Oh yeah, I figured I knew WHAT they were, just wondering why you would do them-- you don't get the full extention if you do it that way do you?
But now that i think about it, finding a bench might be a little hard for some.
|

Experienced User
i know you said your funds are low... but if you can, maybe look into a weight gainer powder too? having worked at a health food store i've seen the results that these can have on the "small and measly".. its quite amazing! just an idea.
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
If the Original Poster is going to come back and read this. If you like to think long term, don't buy weights, after a certain point, they just won't be useful.

Don't rely on weight gainers either, it is just marketing, you will be spending a bunch of money for little effect, it is really about your lifestyle and eating habits that will change it, not some miracle powder (well there are miracle powders, you just will die of a heart attack or get really small scrotum, etc later on in life).

Presses are among the most effective size gainers, but it is hard to access an array of them considering your funds issue. Buying weights, if you lets say turn out you can curl 20s, press 40s, and you buy them, some months down the line, you will need to buy new ones because your muscles will get used to them and need difficult weights to continue growing. So if for instance you buy the 40s and did a good job (while finding it difficult) dumb bell pressing them, and then got used to it, you won't get any bigger if you do them 20 times per set. So, if you HAVE to get some sort of weights at home, get adjustables or bars that you can stack weight onto, not individual dumb bells.

Your eating habits seem good, but just to let you know, eating smaller portion meals several times a day (vs eating 3 huge meals), increases your basal metabolism. Also, what is it exactly that you are eating?
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....