Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

Can You Cure Autsim (Page 1)

im 17 and last yera i found out i have autism which explains why i have no friends
and i want to know if there is a cure.

as i just got a job and i find it hard to talk to customers
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gcdsocal
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
unfortunatly to date there is no cure for autism. there are only ways of educating the child or yourself to be more social. You just have to force yourself to talk to people.
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
well i find it really hard 2 talk 2 other people
and i cant even serve or answer the phone at the shop i work at
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I dont have autism but i have a very hard time talking to people too. I hate answereing the phone and id rather go to a store where i know where everything is rather than ask someone for help. Its something that we have to practice and its not easy to do.
|

replied November 29th, 2007
Need For the Best Advice And Therapy
We never want to let the years pass by in weakness. Now, there are labels put to conditions for the convenience of others. But we are unique and so is our set of problems. Often we challenge ourselves unnecessarily believing that some social norm is "the good" and we HAVE to cut it or we are "bad" - at whatever age. Well, schooling, for one is more indoctrination than education and has been on a steep slide for decades! Maybe not "fitting in" is a blessing in many environments! I would strongly suggest finding work that does not go so directly against the grain causing more self-esteem issues. Try a less people-contact job or where social graces are not so precious! I always recommend www.dyslexia.com which deals with autism particularly. Contact them and tell them your story. They are the best and of a new "age" in this. We have to climb out of the past and see each others' gifts.
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Hey! You can get help. You should see a psychologist and talk about ways to work on social skills.
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I was a complete skeptic regarding alternative treatments. I have studied Autism in my professional work and also have a son originally dx with Autism. I was so desperate to try anything. I began using fish oil shortly after my son was dx. In three months, he was talking so much more and he was beginning to display interest in reciprocal communication with his peers. He had only 10 - 15 words in his spoken vocabulary at age 2 years, 3 months. He rarely made eye contact and was not interested in any type of reciprocal communication. The leaps and bounds he made amazed the three professionals who dx him. He slowly got better. Now he is a very social little boy who has wonderful expressive language skills. He still seems to be on the spectrum but it's hardly noticeable unless you work with him. Lately I have been noticing that he is getting worse. He has also started to stutter. One week ago I started him on fish oil again and didn't tell my husband. He noticed today that my son hasn't been stuttering as much and some of his "cognitive inflexibility" features seem to be diminishing. I am really trying to analyze whether or not there is a placebo effect on my part working but I honestly don't think so. My husband noticed a difference and he didn't know I was giving my son anything. I will just continue to see what happens.

I am not saying this is the answer but it seems to have really helped my son. I don't believe fish oil can hurt and it certainly has helped my son!!

I would google "fish oil and autism," as there has been some research studies pertaining to this. I haven't had a chance to actually review these studies but it should be interesting
|

Interesting "fish Oil"
Been using it myself for general health. The brain is certainly a chemical process, and I agree that diet and what we ingest has affect on our overall psychology.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
anything with omega3 in it is good for the brain. there are things that you can do to help yourself--its just a matter of finding them.
|

Extremely eHealthy
ladylee70 wrote:
One week ago I started him on fish oil again and didn't tell my husband. He noticed today that my son hasn't been stuttering as much and some of his "cognitive inflexibility" features seem to be diminishing. I am really trying to analyze whether or not there is a placebo effect on my part working but I honestly don't think so. My husband noticed a difference and he didn't know I was giving my son anything. I will just continue to see what happens.

I am not saying this is the answer but it seems to have really helped my son. I don't believe fish oil can hurt and it certainly has helped my son!!

I would google "fish oil and autism," as there has been some research studies pertaining to this. I haven't had a chance to actually review these studies but it should be interesting

That is truly amazing. I am now curious if it would have the same results on an adult. Hmmmmm
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
more than likely---ive seen some adults use it and noticed a big change
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
ok thank you i will try it
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
let us know how it works:)
|

I did the same thing with my son who is on the spectrum. As ladylee mentioned, it doesn't do any harm so why not try it. It's anecdotal, of course, but I think it has helped. Get as much support as you can, though, don't count on it as a silver bullet.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
yeah and remember that everyone is different and it will effect everyone differently
|

replied December 5th, 2007
Supporter
Re
ok yeap thanks
|

replied February 13th, 2008
Personally, I has a similar problem myself with AS and I got a job in a store over the summer last year. Basically I just told myself that I had to learn to do these things somehow or I would lose my job. It took a while but eventually I got a lot better at it, and now for the first time in 18 years I can talk to people I don't know, and make small talk and that kind of thing. Not very well, but it's a start. Just push yourself, you never know what you can achieve until you try. Smile

Don't worry about the phone thing, a lot of people don't like answering the phone.
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Right Smile Thank god for caller ID.
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
oh i agree completely with that. id bee doomed but for caller id
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2008
yes..
everyone says that we can't cure autism.. And it's so difficult.. YES and NO..
No, we can and Yes it's difficult.. It takes a long time to cure it.. Diet can help.. Please avoid giving more foods to the autistic child.. there diet can help.. As what I've research..
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...