Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Feels Like Bed Is Shaking (Page 1)

Sometimes right before I fall asleep it feels as though the bed is shaking. The bed is in fact not shaking but it feels this way. It has happened at numerous houses. When this happens I am awake and I know whats going on and the shaking only stops if I sit up. If i lie back down it begins almost immediately. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper doggettall
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
For how long you are experiencing this?
Does it appear every night and whenever you lay down?
Is this shaking more like spinning sensation (the external environment seems to continually rotate) or rushing sensation (the ground appears to suddenly rush upwards)?
Have you noticed that darkened room aggravates this experience?
|

replied May 27th, 2013
aslong as i can remember everytime i lay down it feels like the bed is shaken it wakes me up out a dead sleep also i feel like im falling sometimes it happend just about every night my husband is always fast asleep when i look over so for the longest time i thought i was just crazy or something but its starting to scare me a lil
|

replied November 21st, 2007
well the first time I remember it happening was about 2-3 yrs ago. Its really not a spinning or rushing. It literally feels like a train is going by my house and causes my bed to shake. thats the only way i can describe it. theres also a really light humming in my ear. Its right before I fall asleep, so im not fully awake, but im also definetly not asleep. I remember what im thinking while its happening and I can stop it by sitting up. Most nights i sleep through it. But some nights it prevents me from sleeping for hours. It just continually happens everytime I start to get comfortable. Sometimes I just grab my leg to see if its actually moving or if its all in my head but I can never tell. I've been trying to look up things online but all i keep getting is things on paranormal activity (which it is definetly not) so im all out of ideas.
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
I have the same thing happen to me. I tryed looking it up but couldnt find anything so i gave up. Idk what it is, just thought i would post to let you know your not alone lol. Maybe what we should do is have some one in the bed and when we fill it start to shake ask if its really shaking.. It could be our body shaking, or it could be in our mind. but atleast we would know if it was real or not. Sorry i couldnt help to much, have a great Turkey day!
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Is this coming always between sleep and waking period?
Are you experiencing fear, awareness of a "presence," chest or back pressure, and an inability to breathe at that moment?
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
What would this indicate because I get these feelings too...
|

replied January 9th, 2008
there are some theories about "leaving the body" when falling asleep...or out of body experiences...try looking up some of those ideas. Ive heard that your whole body can shake..but without physically shaking (odd i know). Its up to you whether or not you believe in it though.
They are ancient ideas mainly posted as "new age" even though its not new. Its just resurfacing.
|

replied January 25th, 2009
This has happend to me too while my husband was lying next to me sound asleep. We were on holiday and staying at my parents house at the coast. Funny thing was is that the rocking woke me up. I became fully wide awake but the bed carried on shaking, so I sat up. It still carried on shaking so I lied down again. Wierd very weird. I didnt really feel a presence or anything like that and wasn't even very frightend. After a couple of minutes it stoped and didnt happen again during my stay. When I told my husband he said that I must have dreamt it as he didn't feel anything. However afterwards I found out that the same thing happend to my sister in law and a friend who had also slept in the same bed.
All I can say is that there are many weird and unexplained things which happen all the time, and that we have to just except them for being just that. If you try to dwell on certain situations you could go insaine.
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2009
i experience the same thing almost each night. since my not alone in my bed, i've been told its my body shaking, really bad, like as if i would have a one second long seizure. it also awakes me most times but i can fall back to sleep. in my case when im really close to falling asleep, i dream that im walking on a high building or such and then i fall and that falling is actually when the shaking happens.

i never really wondered what or why this is happening..

also, as for the out of body experience explanations, its said that is the moment when u start the experience, when u leave the body. also, its said most people have out of body experiences each night, they just don't remember them. so nothing to worry about, i guess.
|

replied September 7th, 2013
I am glad that I have found this sight. This (Bed Shaking). Has been happening for quite some time now. It doesn't matter where I am at. It happens everywhere I sleep. And, it only happens in the bed. When I was living with my husband, we would go to bed. He would be sound asleep, and I'd hop up off the bed. Turn on the lights. Ask him if he felt that vibrating at the end of the bed. He said no! So, I look at the bed. I look under the bed, I'd even jump on the bed. It had gotten so bad. That I would feel the walls and the floor to find some kind of explaination. But, there would never be one. I live in Omaha, Nebraska. We don't have earthquakes here. Long story short my husband and I separate. (Due to other reasons). I move in with my mother, only this time the bed not only shakes, but the covers are gently being slid off my body. I FROZE solid as a popsicle. I'm upset because I have been having off the chart stuff happening for 20 years.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Me too!
I have been experiencing the same thing for about a month now. Every night when I go to sleep it feels like the bed is shaking. At first, I thought the earth was having tremors, but I'm starting to think it is just me. I wake my husband up and ask him if he feels it and he doesn't. What should we do?
|

replied April 17th, 2009
Just woke up
I woke up for the third or 4th night in due to my bed shaking. This time it was the

most intense. Believe me or don't I couldn't care less. My fascenation and concern

for this is growing because because it's happened more then twice during various days

over the span of a week now.
This shaking, and a female voice (I can't understand her, but she calls out for

something). I can't understand what shes saying because her same voice is speaking

softly, yelling out, and uttering phrases about many things at the exact same time.

Like playback of mixed emotions all played at once. This lasted about 5 mins, and

stops when I get up from the bed.
I believed I may be going insane, but this only really happens late at night (once in

the morning I experienced no shaking but I heard her well defined voice). Nobody else

was in the house and everything was off. This was the only time I "heard voices," I

don't walk around all day hearing and I don't belive myself to be crazy like

that. The shaking was subtle the first few nights (felt like someone standing on the

end pushing it with a knee or something), but tonight 4/17/09 I awoke at 1:11am to

the loud banging of the four metal bed posts on the wood floor.
I could see the room consciously and literally believed someone was under the bed, I

heard a loud buzzing at this same time. The shaking and the noise lasted around

minute; my body never felt the way it did during this experience (the strange

tingeling) . The loudness of the buzzing, and the fact that I was wide awake and

could hear, see, and feel, that I was still; but the bed I was on, was not. It took

me a bit for the fear to subside before I could move through the dark and complete

silence to flip on a light.
This began when It became difficult to care about anything.
I recently became extremely depressed. Probably more depressed then I can ever

remember being, I've been walking without fear and feeling nothing.Perhaps this new

feeling is triggering something? It could be anything...
I don't know what this thing is thats provoked me to wake up at 1:11am, research

"shaking beds" online, and write this until 3am, but its the first strong feeling

I've experienced in a while and I liked it.
I want to facilitate communication and learn how to dive deeper into this.
|

replied July 5th, 2011
Now this is too weird. I have started to have shaking at night and sometimes during the day and it's getting worse. I have been to the ER with EKG, Blood Work, wore the monitor and am scheduled for the Heart Clinic which I have posted elsewhere on this web site. All that aside, I too have heard voices but I can't make them out at all. Several times I have actually gotten out of bed to walk the house to see if someone is in the house, or the TV or radio is left on or if someone is outside the house. Sometimes the voices are women sometimes mixed crowds and sometimes like a new program, always just out of understanding. The shaking or vibration in the chest does not hurt but it keeps me up some. I have checked my blood pressure and pulse rate and they sometimes are high like 155/111 with a rate of 82 or so and other times they are normal. My doctor has no idea but my potassium was low to taking pills. Other web sites have many people reporting shaking like a small just a little off balance motor or vibrator is in the chest near the sternum. It's all too weird..
|

replied April 24th, 2009
Supporter
me too!!!
I've had this from time to time. feels like a mild earthquake that goes on for ages.... depression also. Very interesting indeed... Please keep updating your progress
|

replied April 27th, 2009
I've been trying to find out more
This has been happening to me for almost 2 years now. It happens while in bed or just relaxing while watching TV. It happens when I am fully awake or when I am about to fall asleep. I've gotten out of the bed and tried laying flat on the ground (House is on a slab) and still felt it. My girlfriend gets worried because she doesn't feel anything when I ask her about it. I'm not a religious person and I quickly discard "spiritual activity".

My day-to-day symptoms for the past 2 years (23 - Male):
- Extreme Fatigue (All day, every day -- my biggest complaint)
- Headaches (Everyday starting 1-4pm)
- The rough shaking experience while laying still
- Sometimes I feel like I am rocking back and forth to the pace of my pulse but am not actually moving
- Dry Eyes (diagnosed as episcleritis -- left eye)
- Random Chest Pains (followed by tingling left elbow)
- Vertigo (the best way I can describe it -- this is relatively new)
- Constantly thirsty
- Very sensitive to temperature change.

I'm not the hypochondriac type. I've been to the doctor a total of 7 times my entire life. This includes one recent visit regarding all of these symptoms that resulted in the doctor saying to get more rest. This does not include the eye doctor visit regarding the swollen and dry eyes. I'm not on any medications, do not use drugs, don't smoke, drink occasionally, and don't have any major known allergies. This is my first time writing out everything that I've been experiencing over the past couple of years and hope I can get some feedback.

Thanks,
Brian Young
|

replied July 5th, 2011
Brian, I could have written your remarks for you.. Have the same dry eyes, vertigo, thirst and such. I know we are not crazy. If it were not for the internet we would just go from doctor to doctor or just live with but maybe we can find out what is wrong. One guy said it might be Wolf Parkinson White syndrome but I checked that out and it is way more serious than what I have experienced and with all the medical checks I and other have taken, I think that can be ruled out but who knows. I am scheduled for the Heart Clinic on Friday and will report if anything shows up. I will mention all those who experience this shaking. Heck, who knows, maybe it time for the Rapture...
|

replied August 4th, 2011
Shaking
Hi guys, I am almost 99% certain that Brian is experiencing symtoms of Sleep Apnea. Bowen if your symptoms are the same (INCLUDING & ESPECIALLY THE SHAKING AND TREMOR SENSATIONS) I would bet you both have moderate to severe Sleep Apnea. Have a sleep study done and post back.
|

replied August 28th, 2011
I just joined this forum for the sole opportunity to respond this- I have the exact same symptoms and It's driving me nuts! I've been to doctors they don't know what it is- I mean I not only shake, I have the weird elbow pain, the random chest pains, extreme fatigue, headaches that I can't understand where they come from, I sleep sometimes and wake up with them! I have extreme sensitivity to temperature changes and I'm always thirsty!! Every doctor suggests something differet, sleep Apnea for the fatigue, diabetes for the thirst, stress for the headaches, but I don't have any of these things I've been tested for the first two and hey who doesn't live stressfully? So weird!!
|

replied November 7th, 2012
Possible partial answer
I have to chime in - I've had all these symptoms before. I'd say if they don't get better, get tested for Lyme disease. It might sound a little out of left field, but only after a dozen doctor visit over a couple years did I find out that most of my crazy symptoms were due to Lyme's. HOWEVER, Lyme's will not neatly explain the bed shaking and sleep stuff, because I've experienced these things before and after I had Lyme's. It did seem to get more intense when I was ill though.
For the record, none of you may have Lyme's... I just tell everyone to get tested since I went through a lot of anxiety and confusion because of it, and it's just a simple blood test followed up with simple antibiotics.
Lyme Symptoms I had include: elbow/arm pain (left for me), strange chest pain, headaches, extreme fatigue, wandering body pain, mental fog/confusion, symptoms similar to heart disease but all tests are clear, insomnia, NO typical Lyme rash. And all my physical tests said that I was perfectly healthy.
Symptoms I don't associate with Lyme: Feeling the bed move, hypnopompic hallucinations (I've had most of my life). Hope this may help someone.
|

replied June 12th, 2012
Is it Medical?
I wanted to just say i have been having the same things happen, I believe the very first time my bed shook was when i was around 10/11years old, Thats also the time my Migraines started (granted i did have a lot of stress at that age, Family crap) But when i was pregnant with my second child It was a more regular thing and thats when all that other stuff started as well. And yes Your Mind can have a big effect on stuff, but i dont watch scary movies (cant do it, it freaks me out). But i also hear things, Its not something you can understand, its kinda like when you say something loud and your mind keeps replaying it in your head, Except you didnt say anything and it starts behind your ears and makes perk up. and the shaking of the bed isnt like in the movies its a back and forth rocking (been though earthquakes, its not the same!). It could be from not enough sleep, I am a mother of four, but apparently i am not the only one that feels this, and the thing that made me look this up now is that a few nights ago my 8year old daughter came to my room in tears and said something was rocking her bed (not the cat because the cat was locked in my room at the time). I am just not sure what is up, and should i worry? is it medical, paranormal, supernatural or environmental?
|

replied December 13th, 2012
OK U ARE FRAKING ME OUT CAUSE ALL THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME B.T.W MY DAUGHTER IS ALSO 8 I HAVE HEARD THE SOUNDS OF A WOMAN SINGING LIKE A RADIO OR T.V IS ON I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME BUT ONE NIGHT MY BOYFRIEND ASKED ME U HEAR SOMEONE SINGING AND I SAID NO BUT I HAVE THOUGHT I HEARD IT BEFORE ....... LAST NIGHT I POSTED THIS ON FACEBOOK............Can not sleep.....A hour and a half ago I was in the bathroom cleaning.... My daughter comes in and is crying...I ask her "What is wrong and why isn't she in her bed asleep?" ....She says " Mommy I was almost asleep and it felt like someone was shaking my bed and it woke me up but there is no one around or in my room to be doing it" ..... I say " It is just probably me walking around"....Which I wasn't ..... I have not said or told anyone this until now cause it is freaking me out..... I have laid in my bed and felt the same thing A LOT OF TIMES!!!!! I never said anything to no one about it cause I thought it was just me thinking this........... But now that my daughter has said the same thing I wonder............ Has anyone else had this happen to them? And I am being serious !!!
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Re: Me too!
Ginger7 wrote:
I have been experiencing the same thing for about a month now. Every night when I go to sleep it feels like the bed is shaking. At first, I thought the earth was having tremors, but I'm starting to think it is just me. I wake my husband up and ask him if he feels it and he doesn't. What should we do?
|

replied April 28th, 2009
Shaking bed
I have been experiencing the same thing over the last few years. I find that if I am very tired and unable to sleep it is worse. I'm not sure if I am really asleep or awake, although my eyes are open and sometimes I am sat up or kneeling on the bed trying to figure out what is going on. It really feels like an earth quake but i know it isn't one. Last night I heard a loud noise in my head almost like the sound a radio makes as its tuning in. I heard a man's voice and the white noise type of sound you get as a radio tunes in. It was really strange and my eyes were open, but was I asleep?
I'm sure it's some kind of sleep disorder, I'm not worried but think it's strange.
Allie
|

replied May 25th, 2009
re: just woke up
I had a similar experience when I was about 11 years old. In my experince there was a loud buzzing noise and extreme skaking of my bed as if someone were under it . I could'nt scream or oven open my eyes for at least 2 minutes, and then when I did open my eyes everything just stopped as if nothing had ever happened.
|

replied June 6th, 2009
Thank the lord this isn't just me.
I don't know if anyones religous or not, but i notice it more when the energy and tension is up in my house.
When I pray hard and ask god, it eases but it never goes away fully. It does seem to come on when I'm about to go to sleep and just relaxing. It is incredibly disconcerting, and it feels like the beds shaking or rocking like somebodies beneath it.

It reminds me of nightmares where young children complain of monsters beneath the bed.

Nobodies alone in this. I'm a very sane person.
|

replied July 6th, 2009
this happens to me when i am watching tv and even has happened to me standing up having a conversation with someone, i know its nothing spiritual or paranormal, but i dont know what it is...i dont think it has happened to me going to sleep though, but i really want to know what it is
|

replied July 26th, 2009
ima bed shaker too
I have had this most of my life and I never had the courage to discuss this with anyone close to me. I don't know if it is something paranormal, extraterestrial, psychological, medical or what but it happens. In my case it only happens at night right before bedtime and doesn't last very long. I am always very much awake when it happens. and it doesn't happen to me every night, but randomly. I can't explain it. I always think of the exorcist movie when it happens but I don't really believe it is paranormal I don't feel a sinister presence. Maybe it is something psychological because now I sleep on a mattress on the floor and it hasn't happened since I have started sleeping this way.IDK just glad I am not alone. Hope to find the answer to this mystery someday
|

replied September 6th, 2009
Wow, I'm not alone!
This same problem has either kept me from sleeping entirely or limited me to just a few hours of sporadic sleep nightly for about 2 weeks. I was only feeling it just as I was falling asleep but now as I am typing I feel it as well. I have a fairly soft mattress, so I can understand how a body twitch could cause a ripple effect with the springs, but I can't explain why I feel it sitting down. I wonder if it has anything to do with constricted blood vessels. If I didn't find this page, I would have thought I was completely nuts.
|

replied December 1st, 2011
I'm thrilled to read ALL the posts in this forum about feeling like your vibrating during or right b4 sleep. It has happened to me but it was INTENTIONAL. If you're relaxed & focused (w/eyes closed) during these 'episides' you'd probably find it usually accompanies pictures or other images flashing or rushing by. I think I should explain INTENTIONAL. I meditate often & some are strictly to activate my 3rd eye. I came across a great article teaching how to activate your 3rd eye & the experience of the author when she activated her 3rd eye....intentionally. She described the same vibrations & also the images. For some it takes a while but I activated 1st time!!! I was almost sleep (but still aware that I was not) & the vibrating strarted. Slow then I was vibrating do hard my lips felt like they were flapping. I relaxed into it & kept my eyes closed. I felt like I was traveling up a tunnel at warp speeds (just like the author). I got scared & snapped out of it. My hubby was laying beside me awake & saw & felt nothing. To him I appeared still & peaceful.

You have a gift, please stop running to the Drs, they can't help you. I suggest meditating if you don't already, start to google 'Third eye activation', 'ascension (it's all a part of the ascension)', 'ascension symptoms' (this will explain the physical symptoms) & also search YouTube for 'chakra meditations'. It's important to keep your chakras (energy centers).

FYI, 3rd eye activations are directly connected to intuition & psychic abilities. Yours will develop if you work to develop it. My intuition is bananas lately since the activation. Kinda scares my family sometimes.
|

replied April 14th, 2016
Actually , this is making a lot of sense. Everything is actually on point.
|

replied January 29th, 2019
Bed vibration feeling
I have the intuition and I just started to get the bed vibrations, sometimes I see images, but can't make sense of them. I'm working on the 3rd eye
|

replied September 8th, 2009
anyone think that sometimes it's a lucid dream and we only think we are awake when this happens?

it used to happen to me a lot as a kid, with the buzzing/humming noise too, and i also used to have lucid dreams on a regular basis before i knew about them.
|
Quick Reply