I had such a bad day yesterday. Let me back up to last Friday, and tell you what I do last period of the school day.

I do something called "peer tutoring". I go into the help center at school where kids that are kicked out of class, or need extra help, get sent. Also the handicapped kids go kick it in there sometimes (draw, play on the computers). I have a favourite and his name is Isaak, but I'll get to that in a bit.

On Friday I was in the help center, and one of the teachers that works with some of the handicapped kids was in there, she didn't know I was a peer tutor. Let's call her Mrs. Stupid. The teacher who runs the help center is (let's say) Mrs. Teach. Erik's mom doesn't have a class last period, and sometimes when I get Rowan early we go visit her, and she will keep her there with her while I go get all Rowan's bottles, clothes, food dishes, and her stroller from the daycare. Then I go to my locker and get my textbooks and binders, and then I go back and get Rowan. I don't take Rowan out of the daycare and leave her with Theresa. Well anyways. The bell rang and Mrs. Teach tells some bad kids in the help center that they are not allowed to leave, for some reason. To clean up their mess, or something. I say "is it okay if I leave". I'm not a bad kid, I go there and HELP. She says "of course, go get Rowan". Mrs. Stupid (who doesn't know me, or my name, has never talked to me, is stupid) says "no she can't she just gets her and gives her to grandma". NOT TRUE, and this lady has no authority over me, she is not my teacher. Mrs. Teach, who likes me, turns to her and says "she does not do that. I said she can go", and "Tanya go". I go. I'm really mad because this lady has no right to say anything about me, and it is extremely unprofessional.

I complain to my best friend, and I complain to Nathan, but I get over it.

I come to school yesterday and I'm walking down the hall with Rowan to take her to daycare and Mrs. Stupid is walking with one of her special needs students, and says to him "look Banks, it's a baby with a baby". She looks at me so coldly. She had no reason to hate me, I've never had any kind of interaction with her. I think the reason she was so bitter is because Mrs. Teach and her had a power struggle, in which Mrs. Teach defended me. That is my guess. I just look at her and keep walking, and she says again "a baby with a baby".

I'm pretty irritated, but of course, no response from me. I go into the foods class where Erik's mom and another teacher I really like do their classes. I tell the other teacher about what happened Friday and that day, and she gets pretty upset. Says Mrs. Stupid has no right to talk to me like that, and that it is inappropriate conduct. Erik's mom already doesn't like that teacher, and she is pretty irritated too. The other teacher goes to the guy in the school that deals with teachers conduct and files a complaint on my behalf. Mrs. Teach gets asked about it, in which case she backs me up and says yes that is what happened. The guy dealing with Mrs. Stupid asks me if I want to come with him when Mrs. Stupid is confronted, I say he can do it on his own.

That is it for that story.

I am in the help center last period yesterday. There is this little chubby kid with a really stupid looking face. He just acts and talks like trash, and he's annoying. He asks me for help with his work, I help. Someone comes in from Erik's mom’s class to tell me Erik's mom is asking to take Rowan out from the daycare a little early, I say that's fine. This little ugly kid says to me "you have a baby?" I say yes. He goes on to make some really ignorant comments, which I just ignore. He tells me Rowan lives with Erik's mom. I say, she doesn't. He says he lives down the street from her and he's seen Rowan at her house. I say, "I think I know where my kid lives". He says, "You don't even take care of your own kid". The kid beside him tells him to shut up. He says, "Do you even feed it?" I tell him to !**@! off, I get up and say, "Do your own word fatty" and I walk away. He then yells at me that I'm filth : ) and a bad mother, and some other things.

I'm irritated and want to punch the kid in his ugly face. I don't say much more though because I know people will deal with him for me, and that way I don't jeopardize my credit, or get in trouble in anyway. I've never had someone talk to me like that. I go home. I ring the bell because I forgot my keys. Nathan comes out to let Rowan and me into the building. He forgets his apartment key inside, we get to our door, and we are locked out. We sit on the stairs and I tell him about the teacher, he gets mad, and I tell him about the boy, and he gets even madder. He offers to kick his ass, I say that is okay that it’s being dealt with. He watches Rowan while I go down the street to ask to use someone's phone (no one in my apartment building answered when I knocked!). I go to a house and I knock and someone answers the door. This is where I'm confused. The people that live there are deaf, how did they hear me knock? Anyways, the point is she answers the door, and signals at me to talk slower, and reads my lips and signals me in and shows me to her phone. They are all very friendly and wave and offer encouraging smiles. I feel glad to be in the presence of some kind people, finally. I call our spare key holder; they drive over and let us in.

The best part of the day. The same period with the run in with that jerk kid I was sitting taking some notes from my text book and Isaak comes and sits beside me and asks me what I'm doing. I tell him, and ask him if he wants to help me. I give him some paper from my binder and a pen. He writes his name on the paper and draws two smiley faces (I'll take a picture of the drawing for you guys later). I ask him who they are and he tells me they him and me. He's my favourite special needs kid, he is so sweet. He draws me a picture of a cat and writes "cat". He tells me cats are his favourite animals, but he likes dogs too. He asks me if I have a dog or cat. I say no. I draw him a really quick picture of him, and me and he's so happy. He tells me he's going to put it on his wall.

Okay fast forward to after Nathan and me get to our apartment. I'm sitting on the bed in our bedroom crying, because the day kicked my butt. And I take out Isaaks picture and I cry harder, because even though people kept treating me like I'm "filth" and a baby machine, this kid was just plain good, and kind, and to him and the death lady down the street I was someone valuable enough to treat so kindly. I hate the human race, but I seriously loved the neighbour lady and Isaak so much right at that moment for actually being decent human beings...

I'm sorry about my long pointless story. I just felt really let down by humans, yet these people who get fun poked at them, and treated like lesser people in society, were so great to me.

Last night Nathan and me drew a cartoon. It's of Isaak and he's a super heroe with a cat for a side kick. It's awesome and really bright and today after I colour it I'm giving it to him, and I'm so excited. He's so great.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: ...hmmm.
tanya, you're so awesome. that teacher was completely out of line.

i don't really have anything to say because it seems like you were just venting, but...

tanyaface wrote:
Last night Nathan and me drew a cartoon. It's of Isaak and he's a super heroe with a cat for a side kick. It's awesome and really bright and today after I colour it I'm giving it to him, and I'm so excited. He's so great.

this made me cry.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Wow. That rude kid sure knows everything about everything, doesn't he? Rolling Eyes Rowan visiting does not = Rowan living there. I guess it's a good thing he's getting help with his schoolwork. It's obvious his brain doesn't work very well on its own. Evil or Very Mad

And that "baby with a baby" comment makes me want to hit that lady in the face. Who does she think she is, judging you? And for what reason? I hope she's given a fair punishment and not a slap on the wrist. I can't stand people who are rude for no reason.

I'm so glad that Isaak and that neighbor were kind to you though. You definitely needed a bit of sunshine. I hope you'll post a picture of the comic before you give it to him!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i'm sorry you didnt have a good day friday. some people are like that here aswell and its hurtful but most of the time i try not to let it get to me
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Her calling you "baby with a baby"? If anything, she is the baby for acting that way.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Tanya, you are a great mother. People like that are just stupid. I can't believe you didn't say anything, if It had been me, I probably would have punched that teacher in the face. The fat kid was just jealous because no one wants to have sex with him Laughing
|

Extremely eHealthy
You are such a kind and compassionate person. Isaak sounds like a doll. I work with people with special needs and if they all had one person in their lives that cared for them as much as you do they would thrive. I'm sure he will remember you forever. For him to have someone who is smart, pretty, and has it together as much as you do who is actually nice to him probably means the world to him.
First of all Mrs. Stupid had absolutely no right to speak to you that way and she should be reported for degrading a student. I hope she gets fired, or at least disciplined as harshly as your school allows. What an absolute witch!!! Evil or Very Mad As for fatty, kids can be so cruel. There is no excuse for what he said to you. You did well to hold your composure. He obviously has some real deep rooted problems. People like that find out what really bothers (hurts) a person and they push their buttons. He probably won't stop until he gets no reaction out of you at all.

You know your a good mother and you are doing your best to provide a great life for Rowan.
|

Experienced User
SOrry Tanya! I think that woman was way out of line. Disgusting to say the least.
Don't let people who don't know you get you down.

That little fatty is clearly ignorant.

I'm glad you have a good guy to take care of you.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
oh mannnn, i'd be ticked off. People can be so rude and inconsiderate. That teacher lady is just a big biztch.
|

Experienced User
Wow that sucks sorry hon.

FYI the Deaf people knew you were at the door 1 of 2 ways. If you knocked they have a noise sensor on the door that makes a light flash. If you used a door bell its connected to a light or a very loud alarm. (I'm a sign language interpreter)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Tanya, your story really touched me (well, the ending did, I got pretty angered when I read about Mrs. Stupid and the fat trashy kid Evil or Very Mad).

You are such a good person. Seriously, I adore you. Smile

Decent people are hard to find these days, but when you find even one, all of your thoughts about the bad in the world go away even if it's just for a little while.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Damn I just typed a long post and it deleted for some reason...but basically I said,
I hope that teacher gets in trouble for it, you cant say things like that to students.
Sorry that boy said all that nasty stuff to you, from what Ive read you're a good mum!
Im glad Nathan is there for you Smile
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I didn't read any other responses, so I might repeat, but I think Nathan is amazing.

I'm sorry that people have been so awful to you lately, you made an amazing point. special needs kids and deaf people do get made fun of but yet they're theones that can be the most nice. Good point.

I hope your day gets better, if I was you I would have wanted to punch that kid in his face. I'm proud of you tanya and I love you!
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...