Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

laughing or smiling causes falling

Hello everyone! I couldn’t find the right section, so hopefully someone will be able to move my topic to a right place.
I’m looking for a syndrome/disorder name. Here is the information that I know about it: when a person starts laughing or maybe even smiling, the nerves of the whole body get weak and the person falls down.
My friend said that he watched a TV program couple of years ago in the UK that showed a girl who had this disorder. She would fall down when she started laughing and also fall asleep many times in a middle of a day. My friend doesn’t remember anything else.
Any information would be helpful.
Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Is it narcolepsy?
|

Maddie34 wrote:
Is it narcolepsy?

Just looked up the definition for narcolepsy and here is what it says:

"Four other classic symptoms of narcolepsy, which may not occur in all patients, are cataplexy, sleep paralysis, hypnogogic hallucinations, and automatic behavior. Cataplexy is an episodic condition featuring loss of muscle function, ranging from slight weakness (such as limpness at the neck or knees, sagging facial muscles, or inability to speak clearly) to complete body collapse. Episodes may be triggered by sudden emotional reactions such as laughter, anger, surprise, or fear, and may last from a few seconds to several minutes."

I think that's what it's called. Thank you very much!

If there are other similar disorders, please post them here as well. Thank you.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
No problem Smile
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....